Savage Fird: The chronicles (hopefully) begin!

Hey! :merry:

Welcome to Savage Fird! (“Fird” being courtesy of @coasterspaul :jubilant:)

D_0016_Layer65

We are a first generation town and we have chosen the banner of strength, the hearth of makers and the monument of Guldmasters.

Inspired by Japanese castles, the palace is the gem and main focus of this town, not only housing the queen, but also being a massive stockpile and a place of feasts.

D_0004_Layer82

And here is the royal poyo herself! :merry:

Oh no! Looks like the herbalis has accidentally transformed himself into a poyo and is now searching for a cure! :merry:

The town map:

Some pretty pictures from around town :merry:

D_0040_Layer17D_0000_Layer86D_0001_Layer85D_0014_Layer67D_0013_Layer68D_0007_Layer79D_0028_Layer44D_0011_Layer72D_0009_Layer77

The construction of our castle:

I really like these, it looks like an RPG :jubilant:

D_0022_Layer54

And the celebrations of getting our hearth and the blessing of our monument :merry:

D_0018_Layer62

And now for the notes I have taken during the playthrough:

• Ascendency potter is missing the decorative teapot recipe.
  • Toggling terrain slice vision cuts roofs off buildings at some levels.
  • Placing templates inside the dirt spots in temperate biome is sometimes impossible.
  • Hearthlings occasionally float and cannot get down.
  • My upgraded hearth refused to get placed down after refusing to get moved, it disappeared for a while and then reappeared in stockpile.
  • On load, all placeables have the orientation outline.
  • Hearthlings refused to haul things and just idled around the campfire - reloading fixed the issue.
  • The trapper has decided to switch to a pacifist route and refused to go check his traps.
  • Shrine quest did not show up - manual toggle fixed the issue.
  • Having the banner of strength which makes mining yield more ores is a little imbalanced - getting pure stone was way too rare at times.
  • At certain times of the day, the shadows inside buildings break, making it look like there even isn’t a window.
  • Hearthlings can pass through windows if those are placed at ground level.
  • The undeploy command is often ignored by Hearthlings or is too low priority.
  • Prickly pear seeds never grew even though they were planted successfully.
  • Living plants (iconics) don’t get moved into storage (sunflower, foxlily, brightbell).
  • Roof supports should not be considered floor and so should not stay visible in low walls building vision.
  • The game gets so stressed at times that I can’t even exit it.
20 Likes

Oh this is such a cool town! Sooo many nice ideas and details :heartpulse: :merry:

Thank you for sharing it with us @Amnaa :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, that is fucking wicked and I love your castle/Fort!

Also, totally seconding undeploy needing higher priority

edit: also, loving that little water feature with the wet stone hidden in the rock, did you hide a dry stone at the bottom of it to keep the water equalised?

1 Like

Hey, thanks! :merry:

No, I only used the wet stone. I made two fountains/waterfalls in this town and both times has the water leveled with the dug out pond itself.

1 Like

Ah good to know! Might have to design some water features myself then :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a gorgeous town!

• Ascendency potter is missing the decorative teapot recipe.

This one was intentional. That’s a faction-specific recipe. Not sure if that’s what we want at this point, but it’s the behavior that was intended.

• Toggling terrain slice vision cuts roofs off buildings at some levels.
  • Placing templates inside the dirt spots in temperate biome is sometimes impossible.
  • Roof supports should not be considered floor and so should not stay visible in low walls building vision.

@not_owen_wilson might know what’s up with these.

• Hearthlings occasionally float and cannot get down.
  • My upgraded hearth refused to get placed down after refusing to get moved, it disappeared for a while and then reappeared in stockpile.

If you can give us saves with these, we can investigate them further.

• On load, all placeables have the orientation outline.

This should be fixed in one of the upcoming releases.

• Hearthlings refused to haul things and just idled around the campfire - reloading fixed the issue.

A bunch of issues that could cause this have been fixed. Let us know if you see this again.

• Shrine quest did not show up - manual toggle fixed the issue.

Do you remember which node it was stuck on? Also, do you remember which version the game was started on? We fixed a bunch of campaign flow interruption issues, but they aren’t fixed retroactively for games started on previous versions.

• Having the banner of strength which makes mining yield more ores is a little imbalanced - getting pure stone was way too rare at times.

The banner of strength increases all mining drop rates, so you get more stone as well as more ore.

• At certain times of the day, the shadows inside buildings break, making it look like there even isn’t a window.

This is a known issue, but needs some major shadow system rework to be fixed. I think we’ll have to live with it for the time being.

• Hearthlings can pass through windows if those are placed at ground level.

Known issue. We do want to allow it, but we should mark them as lower priority when other paths are available.

• The undeploy command is often ignored by Hearthlings or is too low priority.

Fixed in the current release.

• Prickly pear seeds never grew even though they were planted successfully.
  • Living plants (iconics) don’t get moved into storage (sunflower, foxlily, brightbell).

Can’t reproduce these. If you have a save or more info, that would be useful.

• The game gets so stressed at times that I can’t even exit it.

Performance optimization is our current focus, but if you have saves or can describe specific situations when it performs particularly badly, that’d be helpful.

2 Likes

Hey Max!

• The town was started on (I think) r-842, the one, when the hearth progression getting stuck has been fixed.
  • The Shrine quest got stuck on the “shrine_foreshadowing”.
  • I have better stockpiles, which could have something to do with the plants not getting stocked
  • I also have my extremely broken Wisteria tree mod, which has issues with plant growth… Every SH plant was growing fine except for the prickly pear. I don’t know if that could be the culprit.
  • Also, found a new bug, the appeal measuring tool only reads things that are on ground level, ignoring the building and it’s storey.
  • This save does perform horribly when in town. If I attend to the mines above the village, the performance is smooth.
  • The jittering appears immediately, gets worse seconds after loading, after that the severity stays about the same.
  • System Information: Win 7; i5-2450M CPU @ 2,50 GHz; RAM 6GB; NVIDIA GT 630M 2GB VRAM
  • I never have any other major applications running when playing the game, the RAM is mostly at around 15%-20% full when the PC is not busy.

We are inviting you to Savage_Fird.rar (7.3 MB) :merry:

Amazing work! I love the castle design! Also, great work noting out ALL those bugs, you might want to move this topic or duplicate it into the Bug Reports category to get mod attention on some of those. I’m certain it’s all known to them but it’d be better to be safe anyway.

1 Like

Took a look at your save. It’s even prettier ingame!

The town was started on (I think) r-842, the one, when the hearth progression getting stuck has been fixed.
The Shrine quest got stuck on the “shrine_foreshadowing”.

Yes, that’s a bug that has been fixed since, but didn’t solve it retroactively for old saves.

Hearthlings occasionally float and cannot get down.

This is fixed in the next release.

Also, found a new bug, the appeal measuring tool only reads things that are on ground level, ignoring the building and it’s storey.

Good catch. It didn’t recognize the new builder. This will be fixed in the next release.

This save does perform horribly when in town. If I attend to the mines above the village, the performance is smooth.

There will be some performance improvements in the next release, including one that significantly reduces graphical hitches, so try it out again. I can’t reproduce the jitter on my machine, but if it only happens when looking at the town, it’s most likely due to rendering. Try reducing the shadow number and shadow quality settings in the options menu.

I have better stockpiles, which could have something to do with the plants not getting stocked

Couldn’t reproduce that one. Looking at the save, most of the stockpiles are set to None filter. There was a bug that caused that to happen on reload, which has since been fixed, but it didn’t fix reset the filters in existing saves. If you set them back to All (or any other non-None filter) they should work.

3 Likes