Request: Show us your building techniques

U can not build wall by rock at the moment. For scaffolding need to fit, must be 3 squares out. Plus walls into walls wont work. It makes the building go red, which the workers refuse to build. lastly the roof also goes into the ground, again the workers will not build that, they will stop. Again I’m not dissing the build a few ppl use IB and have great design work

I know you’re an extraordinaire, but in this case I have to agree with @BrianNZ. Back in Alpha 7 I was able to make a wall go right to the rock by mining out where it would otherwise touch the cliff. Also, the wall is four blocks wide - the perfect size to cover up the resulting hole in the cliff.

I do still have my doubts about that roof, though.

You might be right. Relooking at the build fully, everything sits on a slab of some sort. And judging from the roofs he built those by slab. I’m call myself wrong, this could be built by villagers. None the less it’s still impressive like said lol

Edit: The roof is throwing me off lol

1 Like

I won’t be able to do anything new for the time being, but I have some older, more basic timelapses/cross-sections available with my Diadem Castle, Fort Lias Cathedral, and (most recently) Mountains_8 projects. These are fairly old, but they might be useful (or at least fun to look at again) as they show constructions that didn’t actually end up using the Slabs function at the time, instead only wall and floor manipulation.

I’m hoping to finally start something new in the next few days or so, now that I’ll have some additional time in my weekly schedule with a class ending. Here’s hoping I can present it soon!

1 Like

I’m just gonna drop this one in here: how to build with a hole in the roof.

For me, i just have to let my citizens build and eventually they will just leave a hole in the roof, and over a long period of time they will add a block here and there, but there is still a hole. its like a smoke outlet XD

1 Like

I realize we’ve seen this… and i’m not entirely sure how its possible…

but, somehow, the time-lapse makes this creation even more awesomer:smile: :+1:

sweet baby geezuz! love the castle… and love the “simple”, yet perfectly depicted blacksmith’s shop!! :smiley:

1 Like

Personally, I’ve been laying the floor size out, then erasing parts of the floor where walls would be and placing manual walls in those places. But your idea makes things SO much easier, and I love it. Thanks man.

I started building things atop of trees.

Basically atop all trees is a flat surface, something that you can actually build over. With this knowledge I built a small house to start with (They make scaffolding all the way to the top of the tree, which looks crazy!).

Aside from cool tree top homes (Of which I suggest you finish all in one go - as I later tried a platform to build houses on and it builds scaffolding up the trees seemingly every time you edit) You can also chop down the trees after to create “Floating” islands, ships, or whatever it is the game will allow you build normally.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/434949027528011499/01CB38741212581FE76EBA898D46C3BABA860624/ <- Floating island.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/434949027528008964/FE45D0A4C959AA8DB0BA2E023FB5231AE5F79C2D/ Insane amount of scaffolding!

1 Like

To the Devs, my new streams are designed to push the engine to the limits as well as demonstrate the building process.

I will post stream dates in this thread: Build Tutorials and Stream

The thread will also contain building templates and save game downloads.

1 Like