Ready to launch in 5...4...3

i know, but it always seems weird when liking someones post that says something bad happened to them…

4 Likes

I will go do that now! and I do hope this is not the end of the good community if it is though R.I.P to it!

1 Like

I think we’ll be fine :slight_smile: Pretty dedicated and friendly group here, fostering a welcoming community and leading by example is a good way to keep it that way.

9 Likes

The base community has a lot to do with the direction of a larger community as it grows. Since most share a common goal of keeping the community sound, they will go out of their way to protect it. For the most part this means reigning in trolling, correcting bad behavior, etc. I have helped run some gaming communities in the past and I have always seen the original community members step up in amazing ways when you start seeing an influx of thousands.

3 Likes

Well that review ended up being a lot longer than I thought… also spent 45 mins writing it!!!

Best of luck with the EA launch, hope it gets people excited!

5 Likes

Don’t feel bad. I feel like fb like system is based off that sometime

1 Like

I put my review it. It’s positive, obviously. I tried to make it comprehensive and explain a little about what the game is like instead of just saying it’s fun, and I made it clear that there’s still bugs and talked about areas where the game is incomplete.

I hope people aren’t just posting a positive review and then forgetting about it. It’s important that we also vote up useful reviews, ones that explain the game to new people, and those that explain the game is still in alpha and what’s not yet in the game working 100%. Take some time to go through a few pages of the most recent reviews, and vote up the most helpful ones. There’s only about 150 reviews right now, you can afford to spend a few minutes writing a review, you can afford to spend a few minutes voting up the best reviews already there.

Also, don’t be afraid to vote reviews as not helpful even if they’re positive. Reviews that simply say the game is great, without explaining why or putting an effort into convincing somebody to buy the game, aren’t the sorts of reviews that should filter to the top. Think about what you would like to know about the game if you had never played it before. Let’s make sure that the most helpful reviews are actually the ones at the top of the page.

8 Likes

Posted mine as well. Didn’t do anything major right now. Just a quick look at features and where the game stands right now.

2 Likes

Oh agree! That’s why I put in all caps to not buy it if they don’t understand that there are still many bugs. I read so many Steam comments complaining that the early access game has bugs or doesn’t have much content. Some times I want to give them the old “v-8” bonk on the head like Duh!!! Its still being developed silly. Things don’t just come out perfect the first time, we aren’t wizards… Well I mean I am. Silly muggles

2 Likes

Things are going well! I’ve added my review to the mix and read some of the other excellent reviews already out there. I’m excited to have been able to join in as a fan of this game and am excited to see it fleshed out in the next months.

7 Likes

yes very well! only 3 negative reviews so far :smile:

3 Likes

at last it accepted. Might be the case it did not accept my copy paste from word. So I typed it all over again :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Let’s play a game of, where did the negative reviews go wrong?
1.Lokai

Almost all of the reviews so far are from people who have played the pre-Steam Early Access version a ton (I mean it was on Steam, just not publicly available)

Okay, you’ve gotten us there.

I was drawn in by early screenshots of cities with over a dozen structures, a castle in the background, large statues and tons of moving citizens going about their work, and that’s just not going to happen. Which is fine, but I don’t want anyone else to think it is that game either.

Oh, marketing. Of course marketing is ahead of the game at this point. But the game is getting closer with every Alpha!

2.Heavenfall

I like this game, but there just isn’t much gameplay right now in the game. You’ll chop down some trees, farm a bit, build some buildings for sleeping and then the game mostly dies off. They’ve just started integrating a “goblin campaign” wherein your settlement is supposed to be attacked by increasingly dangerous hordes of goblins, but I just sort of killed them all.

Completely valid. In fact, I wouldn’t call this section negative.

The game developers need to focus on how they are going to challenge the player within their simulation. Right now, that focus just isn’t there. Instead, they’re doing things like advanced programming to make water flow realistically, but water has precisely zero significance for gameplay.

Water doesn’t just look cool. It will most likely have more significance later. Radiant just needs to get the bugs out before they can add features to it.

If the game eventually reaches a point where gameplay is enduring and well-thought out, I will gladly remove/rewrite this review.

Thank you.

3.Camobeast

The game is buggy and shallow it is very much a sandbox city builder with no icing, you will micro manage and build a village, get sick of the random events that are repetative then most probably get bored and stop playing because you have already experianced all this game has to offer.

This is the full text of one review, and I can’t claim to respect its view like I can the others. This is what happens in Early Access, is it not? It’s buggy because it’s in Alpha; it’ll be more stable when it reaches Beta. It’ll get icing in beta. The random events will be less repetitive in Beta. The game will have much more to offer in Beta… I could go on, but that’s really all the review gave me to work off of.

4.bryans1027
-snip-
He had problems with his antivirus software thinking Stonehearth was a virus, but has since changed his review to positive.

5 Likes

"The game developers need to focus on how they are going to challenge the player within their simulation"
i kinda agree with this criticism, right now the challenge comes only from combat, which is fine for this stage of development, but i do hope for different kinds of challenges in the future. for example in banished the challenge is to survive the harsh environment and there is no combat.

its seems like the EA lunch went successfully and even the negative reviews have valid points and respect for the game (besides one).

5 Likes

well eventually we might get food spoilage, which could lead to starvation if you dont keep that under control. and eventually we will need water to keep our crops healthy. we also might get things like, droughts where we would get very little amount of food from crops. then winter comes around, you most likely wont be able to farm in the winter, so now you have to rely on other food sources.

the list can just keep going :smile:

3 Likes

yes i know about those plans. i think that there is a lot of room to expand on the current features of the game to make them more challenging and interesting and I’m really exited for this :smiley:
but i think that we still need to express our concerns with the game, just to remind radiant that we are still interested in those features :wink:

in other news, stonehearth is now the 5th top seller early access game on steam! :+1:

5 Likes

I liked your break down of that review and agree with everything you saying, but sometimes it’s just better to say nothing, just vote it down and let it spiral into the abyss.

Just saying it could easily bring about a counter argument, which leads to flaming, which leads to unnecessary attention that review may receive (even if it did have a concern (legit or not) that lead them to give it a thumbs down).

Who knows maybe at a later time they will change it :slight_smile: One of the nice things about steam is you can change your review at a later time (no it’s not my review either).

1 Like

Thanks again for all your positive reviews! Yesterday was kind of stressful. Among the many things that happened:

[Tony] ::runs out of the office, late for something::
[Tony] ::returns to the office 5 minutes later out of breath::
[Tony] Everyone! I have bad news. I hit a car on the way out of the parking garage.
[Team Radiant] ::long silence::
[Tom] So… who’s car?
[Tony] That’s the good news! It was your car!
[Tom] …That’s my wife’s car.
[Tony] Don’t worry, it’s just a scratch. ::backs slowly out the door:: We’ll figure this out, just wanted to let you know. Got to go! ::leaves::

Anyway. We’re now deep in A11, and your reviews are fueling our productivity for sure :slight_smile:

17 Likes

(I can’t believe no one commented on this reference yet.)

How about…

types

Global Thermonuclear War.

Can we say puppy instead? Kids < Dogs.

2 Likes