Pic Suggestion : Build Tech

Hello~ Hello~
This Time, I tell you about “Build Tech System”!

The suggestion is related stonehearth core system.

Fitst, The crafting system is so easy to enter into a relation.
Because each tool is medium for class.

But how relate the build tech system?
I spend much time in considering.

A personal think, craft must relate to build tech, but it’s difficult with use only craft element.
Finally, I found new element for connect between craft and build tech.

The “Happiness”.

A happiness is one of the character’s status.
When a character use crafted item for her(his) requirement, she(he) get a happiness point (Max 100).

This requirement is different at character’s class. (ex : a archer require training target.)
Therefore, craft is important.

Each build tech require standard value so the happniess is used in here.
If you get a higher build tech, you can build more useful building.

How upgrade build tech?

I drew new UI and added flag for build tech.
If you achieve higher build tech requirement, the camp standard start shining.
And your build tech upgrade automatically.

The camp standard.
I attached to this what a meaning of build tech.
Higher build tech have more wonderful camp standard.

Thank you for read & See you next week :blush:

23 Likes

Love the drawings and the idea!

1 Like

I really like how happiness becomes a factor for when you can upgrade :slight_smile: it really fits the theme for the game.
Also i really love these Pic Suggestion threads the drawings are really cute :speak_no_evil:

As always superb presentation, however this seems a bit like it could be a bad idea. What I get out of it is that they increase in happiness by using good things and doing good things and that accumulates over time, however if the only way to increase what you can build is to build stuff and wait for it to rise it seems bad as that’s just slowing down progress arbitrarily.

How would you lose happiness? They should be able to get sadder if bad stuff happens but would that reset techs? What would you suggest for balancing happiness between easy to acquire and need to grind it? How is it any better from just acquiring resources needed for higher tools and crafting if all you’re doing is acquiring resources to improve infrastructure first?

1 Like

first of all, draw anything, and it makes me happy… :smile:

second, i think a units “happiness” should have an impact on whatever task they are performing, which also factors into how quickly they improve at that task, and perhaps how quickly they “advance”…

and i get the relationship to happiness and advancing through the tech stages, im just not sure it completely works (given what @Xavion has pointed out about going in “reverse”)…

3 Likes

I believe happiness has come up before and iirc that Tom’s stance was that they were worried about it being too micromanage-y and that instead they’re just going with their buff/debuff system, which is basically a more direct happiness system with no middle man, so eating or sleeping well would just directly buff them instead of increasing their happiness meter which would then cause buffs.

Typically awesome drawings though! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love the drawings. Not really into the global morale. I rather have direct effects.
Sleep on ground -> sleepy
Hungry -> slower
No house/fire -> cold
That kind of thing.

I moved 18 posts to a new topic: Morale and Population

All things being equal*, there probably will be an optimal way of getting to a particular end state… most things can be reduced to maths if you’re willing to make a big enough spreadsheet after all :stuck_out_tongue: . However, so long as this is not too obvious to the player, I’m perfectly happy with this state of affairs.

*They’re not though. Seriously, proximity to orc camps / ores / whatever will change game to game.

As for @Goldmetal’s original ideas… I rather like them: first, the idea of a fancier flag as you tech up, and second, the idea of morale being modified by doing stuff / not being able to do stuff. For example, if my carpenter wants to make a chair but has no wood to make it with (give it a minute or two though, in case the lumberjacks are just delayed), a morale debuff seems okay. Conversely, if he has finished making the chair, a buff seems okay too. Bigger jobs could also be worth more morale, and you could start at, say 50 morale and go up or down based on your supply chain efficiency.

The one thing I would add though, is that there needs to be no (de-)buff for idleness: if you’re not using your carpenter ATM, it shouldn’t affect the morale system either way.

Reminds me a bit of The Nations (German Die Völker II), which shared some elements. The game was structured in tech/civilization stages. If the requirements for an upgrade were given (usually, this was done by “have X units” or more often “have researched/built Y”), a player could manually ascend.

This would unlock new units, new building options but also come at a price; the people were demanding new goods. Each citizen had its own “happiness diary” so to say where they’ve kept track of everything they did. “Slept in a bed (+8%)”, “Somebody in the town saw a wild animal! (-1%)”, “I got attacked! (-15%)”. If the happiness ever dropped below a certain threshold, there were two options: The guy (and his whole family, i.e. wife/non-adult children) were leaving the town over night or he became a criminal.

That means that every ascension had to be carefully taken into consideration, especially since the goods required could not necessarily be produced in the earlier stage (or at all - trading was necessary too). If you could not cope with the demand, your city would shrink - suddenly there would be vacant jobs, your whole supply could collapse. I’ve had a game once where the only two guys surviving were a policeman and a criminal, after a brief chase they were then a policeman and a fisher… Needless to say, it was impossible to continue that game.

It was an interesting idea and pretty okay executed. If you found it necessary, you could manually boost a guy’s morale by giving him items, I think it was some sort of health potion/alcohol that you could craft. It could fit into SH too because it had the basic elements: Happy citizens got married, got children and if the overall-happiness in your town was high enough, people from outside the village sometimes joined too.

It meant, however, that you needed to somewhat constantly expand your city, otherwise you would run out of habitable space…