Newb wants to model an Ulfberht

These are some good looking swords, plus a really nice analysis of the process you worked through to make them.

I like the shorter versions a lot more, I suppose the lettering is more of a suggestion “in game” since the camera will be so zoomed out normally it won’t be possible to see beyond a few squiggles.

Yeah it really moves along well once you get over the initial bump of loading it and figuring out a few things.

3 Likes

agreed… while you can always pack in more detail in a model, you have to be mindful of how it will “read” when at the typical viewing distance…

still, an impressive array of swords, and something i dont think we’ll be lacking in the mod department… :smile:

2 Likes

@SteveAdamo I was wondering though… Just like Chathulu(spelling) was made bigger in the game… can our swords be made smaller to match the correct size of the workers?

Yes. Go look at the relative sizing thread it’s all about stuff like that, should be near the top as is fairly new.

But I think I saw somewhere a post referring to the devs recommending to model as small as possible to begin with and scale up when needed. @voxel_pirate did an example of this with a boat, where it looked weird at first with 1-thick walls but scaled up and manual polished it was 2-thick and looked much more “Stonehearthy”.

Also @voxel_pirate if you want to include the Hearthberht.qmo on that collection page I’m cool with that.

@SteveAdamo about how far away will we typically be? Are the YouTube demo vids a good representation of where we’ll typically be viewing from? If so, I think the +H will be ok, but agree trying to spell anything out will probably just look like a squiggle mess, especially as the sword is moving around being swung.

Well, I guess now I wait for beta to see what sort of crafting and stat mods I can do. In the mean time, maybe I’ll go model a cow (euphamism for modeling random stuff). Bart Simpson - “don’t model a cow, man!”

if you watch some of the live streams, where @Tom is modeling, he will often zoom out to see how his current work will “read” in game… i would say its a “standard” RTS type distance/perspective…

but, as far as we know, you have complete control over how far you can zoom in and out of the environment… :+1: