Need help with modelling!

Modelling in Magica is pretty much straightforward. It can import .qb files, so you can unpack your stonehearth.smod with any zip archiver and look into any models stored there. However there are a few tricks you should know if you choose Magica as your editor. For example, default model origin point (zero coordinate) in Magica is different from Qubicle, so when you add your models in a mod, you should consider that for correct positioning. As far as I know, there are currently no viewers to show origin point aside from the game and Qubicle. As for effects, SHED renders them just fine so you can position them coordinate-wise.
You can look into my mod files if you’d like to get the idea how to add your own items (there is also a palette for importing into Magica to maintain game color scheme, I update it from time to time). There are some differences, like if you add decorations, you won’t probably need particle effects and lighting attached to your models (mine are lanterns), and if you add weapons, you need two models, one of them an “equipable” one with an attach point.
As with complex models with different grids, I still don’t know much. Most animated objects like chests or NPCs have several voxel parts called grids that can move separately (like a chest base and a chest lid). As far as I know, MagicaVoxel can’t support grids, so while you can do basic editing in it, you’ll need another editor for advanced tech, like VoxelShop (free) or Qubicle (paid). I’m not really familiar with grids (yet), but perhaps @8BitCrab can help you. I would like to read about it, too.

1 Like