Name Backstories

A few years ago I was (and still is :wink: crazy about LOTR and Tolkien’s world in general. So I decided to take one of the main characters names, why I chose this character in particular I don’t really remember. And the numbers are probably pretty obvious, I was like 8 when I made the name and didn’t really understand that one shouldn’t really have those kinds of numbers in a screen name =P.

But the name stuck and I like it and it’s already inprinted in my head so it would be near impossible to change it since I use it everywhere. =)

I created my first nick on IRC back in -95 I think, The_King. It was the final opponent in Street Rod if you remember. However, I quickly discovered that not all liked that kind of name, so I added a word and shortened it to tkh. Have used it since then as nick or forum name like here. But for ingame character names I always use a set of names I made up during to WoW era.

Nowadays the name is not so much “the king” anymore, but “tkh” is still there. I was called it IRL as well, so it has kind of stucked. But because it is so short, it is always taken on all sites. So sometimes I have to use therealtkh instead.

I’m called Spike. Spike is always taken, so I just got used to substituting letters or shuffling them around.

i would always sit down at night and watch tv with my family, and some of the people that made it onto tv were just something else, and i remember my old man always use to call them “absolute space cadets” so i thought it would be a cool username. 7 is my favourite number, have worn it through every sport i have ever played

In my case it is the fault of initial issues with the email-confirmation in this forum. I have another user name which I have tried to register in this forum. Guess what… never received a confirmation plus the name was blocked and I could not re-apply.

Already fascinated by Qubicle and Voxel-Art I was looking for another name and it seems like I was not able to come up with something more innovative than this one. However, in the meanwhile I got used to it :skull:.

ummm… yeah… Steve

tries diligently to think up a creative backstory

:sob:

3 Likes

My backstory might not be very accurate. It happened a while back.

Ok, long time ago in 4th grade, my friend and I were very bored in my gifted class (a day where you only spend 2/5 of the time learning random topics chosen from a jar and the rest free time). We were randomly saying words and I said “panda”. Keep note of this because it reoccurs later. We spend the next week learning about social interactions. I see a creepy depiction of a stereotype emo kid. I stare at him, observing him… My friend jokes, “What would happen if we were emo?” Don’t know why but we both became emo. But before I did that, I made a point of making emo stand for “Emotionally Awesome”, not “Emotionally Distressed”. The NEXT week we studied native Americans and we got to choose spirit names. I choose panda based on the memories of the week before last week. My friend suggested that we , the emos, should have spirit names. So I became Emo Panda.We rapidly began making all of 4th grade emo, shouting, “CONVERT TO EMOISM! CONVERT TO EMOISM!”. By the end of that year everyone was called by their spirit names. I start playing Minecraft Classic (my mom is cheap) under the username “xXTheEmoPandaXx” adding the “xX”'s because EmoPanda was taken. This helped my remeber Emoism for a long time. Summer break ended and I managed to convert half of 5th grade. My mom finally purchased me Minecraft for realsies and for some reason, my Classic account wouldn’t convert so i made a new account, “XTheEmoPandaX”, and used it for everything ever since.

I don’t really have a backstory for my name, it was long ago that I had it and i just ran with it. It’s also rarely used online though I have noticed it appear in the odd game here and there, and someone one youtube had it! :cry:

Though i think i picked “Lycandar” because i usually play knight classes in fantasy games and it worked well as a hero knight name so now i use it for everything, even when playing shooters online. I do have other names though which i use less, “Blackhawk” “Brokensword” and “Whitefang”. They’re more difficult to get though but i can usually get some form of those names. I’m pretty sure i have all three on a mmorpg :yum:

I chose the name EpicDwarf because I think Dwarves are epic. :smile:

END OF STORY. PERIOD!

1 Like

Whelp, I honestly didn’t really use anything that required a username seriously;the first place of which was The Gatherer for MtG. It was rather recently, as evidenced by the fact that I chose “phyrexiantrygon” a play on Phyrexian Swarmlord looking rather similar to the Tyrannid Swarmlord from Warhammer 40k. Fast forward a bit, and I was making a name for LoL, and I decided to make it a portmanteau of Paradox and Conundrum. I actually made it Paranundrum first, but later swapped that out for Paranundrox, because it combines/encompasses the two words more equally.

I used to go by Jrose14 (I mean, thats what I use here, but pretty much no where else), which was just a random jumble of letters from my name, and my brothers baseball jersey number. Then I switched to Friend for a while, because I liked to think of everyone as my friend, and I was nice to everyone I could POSSIBLY be nice to. Now I’ve got RoseyNineOneOne, because people started calling me Rosey, akin to my last name, Rose. I threw in the words Nine One One at the end because I needed something to make it unique so it works on the majority of online services I use. Its an extremely long name too, so it is rarely ever used.

Hmm names eh?
Back in the dark ages, when the wibbly wobbly web was first getting its bambi-like legs under itself and was taking its first tottering steps towards global domination, I was playing a board game with my then flat mate. He uttered the line “Strike Fleet Tobias has dropped out of hyperspace and annihilated your homeworld … muhahahaha”. Obviously that had a deep effect on me and the name Tobias was injected into my psyche. Around the same time a game called SpaceHulk came out for the PC and its main character (I think) was called Brother Sabathius (some or all of this maybe wrong).
So to cut a long story short these two names huddled together for mutual protection in the swirling mess of my subconscious and eventually formed the construct that is Tobias Sabathius.

2 Likes

Dunno how interesting or not my backstory might be.

Way back I created a RP-Character for a pen&paper-Game and was looking through example-names and stuck with “Yako” as the translation was (according to lore) “Tiger” and considering the race I created… it fit perfectly well. He was a main character in P&P for quite some time and thus it was natural to use this name as nickname for all things online.
But at some point I ‘exported’ him to an IRC-RP. Thanks to this and that he was turned … well… she… and some people decided the name Yako was far to male for her and thought up the name “Sheena”… which in that case had the meaning “playful little kitten” or around that. Around the time I was using 2 nicknames… Yako and another one, as I played both most of the time yet the other one was played less and less with time passing and now I was using Sheena nearly exclusively. It did not took long for me to attach -Tiger onto the new name as Sheena was not overly unique and often already taken as back then reservation for nicknames was all but common. I like that nick-name though I have to pick variations, due to Sheena being a name used in real world as well so one can find me with Sheena-Tiger, SheenaTiger or Sheenariel, most common. The last variation comes thanks to SL… Back then a second name had to be taken and I picked Thirroul and for some reason it inspired me to take the ‘roul’ and give it a more nice sound (at least in my opinion) and attach it to nearly every of my MMO-characters ^^;

+2 internet points for bringing back this very fond memory… :smile:

When I first started playing the orignal call of duty, I was extremely bad at it… but somehow, with my noobish style I got kills, which looked hilarious on the killcam! Then some friends keps saying I “flashed” people noob style and I got my first game name, Flashz.

Ghost on the other hand… is a different story…
It kind of began when I was sitting in the bus with some friends, and I sat down next to a blind man.
When he accidentally touched me, he freaked out. and after he calmed down he said :
"Normally I can hear people breathing and know they are there, but I didn’t even hear you taking your seat!"
My GF agreed with this, she told me that sometimes at night she checkes if I´m still breathing because she can´t hear it.

So my friends fooled around, say I was a ghost and that it was no miracle the area around me got cold and that kind of stuff.

A few days later we were walking on central station of Utrecht ( Dutch city) and we passed the same blind man again. After we passed him he told his guide (I think it was his wife or something) that he just passed the “Ghost”.

Oh, and I’m very good at sneaking, I can silenty move through a house or whatever. Which is pretty usefull at night.

One day I made a bet with my GF that I would be able to slip in her house and get into the shower without them noticing, she said it would be impossible since they got a noisy house and two dogs who bark at everyone until they recognize them. But yeah, It worked they noticed I was in the house after I was already done with showering and came in the living room.

Since then I’m known as Spook/Spookje (Which means Ghost / Little Ghost in Dutch)

EDIT: I’m also a HUGE fan of games involving Ghost, like Geist, Ghost Master, loved Danny Phantom and am a fan of Boo, Gastly, Haunter, insert other ghost pokemon name here and even the pacman ghost. I could go on forever hahaha. Which only made it more logical for people to call me Ghost.

4 Likes

When theres something srange, in your bed, Who you gonna call?
da dA da dA da dA dun dun dun

Well my name is a real life nick name.

My surname is Bizon, pronounced “bee’s - on”. I was in the Army, and in the army everyone calls you by your last name. Some of my buddies made up the name based on how people would miss-pronounce my name “bye’s - on”. They called me “two zons”, as in a bi-zon just as bifurcation means 2 branches, Bizon (mispronounced) means two zons.

My name is the same as my steam name. So really this is just a story of my steam name lol. It started out when I joined TF2 back in the days where you had to pay to play it. My name had been already “Lank” because it was an old nickname my high school friends gave me when I wasnt paying attention. I joined a group called the “Doctors” and I became “Dr.Lank [Barrel-roll-ology]”, unfortunately the group became very split and it dispersed. I kept the name ever since, minus the degree ha ha.

Well. … (takes deep breath) I used to use sgt. Slicer as that was what I was on ultima (my friend was corporal ripper) then at high school I got the tittle reaper as when I went on the in school unreal tournament lan matches I won…always won, and the wright part is my surname, and 88 is my birth year and part of 882 which was my dafs outlaw stockcar number (passes out from lack of air)

Well, I have used a variety of different usernames, most of which were (originally) my name on Cod2 at some point. I played that game for at least 5yrs straight, so I’ve had my fair share of names. But the one that stuck was Doomalay. I don’t know how I came up with it, but that is my username in most games. I guess some people that saw it liked it tho, because once in a blue moon I come across some such place where that name is taken. It’s very original, and not something I’d imagine anyone else has ever thought, but who knows.

As for CableX17 however, well my name is Caleb, and my best friend for years was named Able, at some point a friend of ours was trying to yell at us both and ended up shouting Cable. They decided to call us Cable and Alub, but Alub only lasted the duration of that day. There are still around a dozen people that call me Cable though. The X17 is a Halo reference. Kind of. I was crushing on a girl who’s birthday was on the 17th of I don’t even remember which month, but at the time I thought it would be clever to make it X17, a Halo reference (117), but also a reference to this girl (7/17 I think it was).

I’ve also gone by a number of names like Kaotic_Sil3nce, Sil3nce_in_Kaos, TheKaoticKalm, and similar variations of that. I wrote a song once (well I’ve written like a dozen, but that’s beside the point), and it opened with “It’s the sound in the silence, the chaotic calm. The war when it’s peaceful, that still rages on.” Always liked that little paradox(I think it’s a paradox, just calling it an oxymoron or contradiction isn’t nearly as fun).

I’m sure I could go on about other names I’ve used, could probably write a book. But these are definitely the important/impactful ones.