[NaB] SGT2 Bug: Entities don't cast shadows and everything is aliased

Title: Entities don’t cast any shadow and lines are jagged

Summary:
The trees, character, boulders, etc. don’t cast any shadow and every line is aliased, jagged.

Steps to reproduce:
None, I get this result when I execute the test.

Expected Results:

Entities casting shadows that move according to the in-game hour. Smooth lines drawing the polygons.

Actual Results:
No casted shadows and jagged lines. See the attachments.

Notes:
I’ve seen in many screenshots that there are shadows and every line is smooth. I can see the clouds passing by but I don’t know why my system renders so poorly (it’s almost like a screenshot out of qubicle, just the poligons and flat colors -no offense).

Attachments:

Versions and Mods: SGT2. No mods.

System Information:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (32-bit OS)
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8400
2.26 GHz 2.27GHz
RAM 3GB
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

I’m gonna say that this is a similar problem as with some of the other bugs people are getting which is to say that it isn’t really a bug but that the graphics chip in your system is not very powerful and currently as this is a graphics test it wont be optimized, so will have problems running on weaker hardware. Its hard to say for certain as we don’t have a system requirements to go by but I know that the Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family is not really designed to run games the same as with all integrated graphics chips so it is likely having problems rendering shadows and anti aliasing. Things may get better once the game is better optimized down the line.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering this, too, I don’t think this is really a bug but comparing with other people it looks like one :sweat: .

I don’t know how many people have this kind of inadequate graphics card, and so I don’t know if it would be worth to spend too much effort on trying to get the game working with them (but everyone want to play the game and there are still people who can’t run the graphics test).

Aside from the continuous optimization that developers are doing, is there any possibility of making options like changing the graphics quality to low/medium/high? There are many games that have such options and people at least can run them even if the graphics are not the best. Thinking it over I guess those are usually used when there are textures involved… -_-’’ Ugh, I don’t know, I’m not an expert in hardware/software compatibility.

Well, I’m happy at least I’m able to run it :sweat_smile:
For now that’s enough for me. If anyone can categorize this “bug”…

lets leave the report here, so Radiant can weigh in… perhaps this will help them determine some minimum requirements, etc.

We’re automatically stripping shadows and turning off anti-aliasing on anything that’s less than OpenGL 3.0, due to severe performance/crashing bugs on on those systems. You can try upgrading your drivers to see if your card supports 3.3, but for now, marking as Not a Bug (though we will probably circle back later after we’ve added more performance optimizations).

4 Likes

I’ve updated again the drivers. There isn’t any improvement as it’s an integrated chipset and my laptop is already 4 years old. If anyone is interested, here’s some interesting tables to know the supported versions of opengl and other things in Intel graphic cards.

And here is stated that

I have confirmed that the OpenGL, DirectX, and OpenCL versions will follow and depend on the generation of the processor (Arrandale, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge), regardless of whether they are core or Intel® Pentium or Celeron processors.

So, in that case a Pentium processor with Intel® HD Graphics part of the Ivy Bridge platform will support OpenGL 4.0, DirectX 11 & OpenCL 1.1, the same as a processor that features Intel® HD Graphics 4000.

And

if the processor is part of IvyBridge it will support OpenGL 4.0
if it is Sandy Bridge, it will feature OpenGL 3.1
And if it is Clarkdale it supports OpenGL 2.1

Mine is Clarkdale, so… =/
Well, despite this, I can try modding the GT in the meanwhile… :smile:

2 Likes

thanks for the update @Relyss… and the very informative supplemental details! :+1:

i’m in the midst of building a new rig, and while im confident in the specs im considering, its still neat to see that breakdown…

2 Likes