Musical Instruments Mod! "HearthTunes(?)" <--- name pending

[quoteParanundrox](as that is no fun if I want a bunch of Banjo players but don’t want to be locked in to “better square-dancing”) [/quote] Why wouldn’t you want a choir of banjo players, its sounds fricking faaantasitc. But with all seriousness, that’s the kind of thing I was going for, but maybe a little bit of special boons to certain instruments, like Drums increase move speed a tad bit more then say Flutes, and Guitars raise more moral then an Oboe (if you’ve ever heard one, you know what I mean).

1 Like

I swear we’ve had discussion about it as well … something along the lines of a travelling band that hit the town during festivals etc.

I’ll do some more searching see if I can find it.

Edit: Seeing as I can’t find it right now, I’ll revisit my thoughts on the idea, I swear a few of us spitballed some ideas but anyway.

One example of musicians would definitely be during the festivals/ celebrations that occur in your settlement, a travelling group could come and play some beautiful tunes lifting the spirits of the entire settlement. There could be some buffs associated with it, or it could simply be a cool event that occurs.

There could also be some sort of subterfuge here, assassins disguised as musicians anyone? (Red Wedding :'().

I swear we also discussed the possibility of perhaps having an idle settler pull out an instrument and play away to themselves or to other idle settlers.

Also @SteveAdamo I stumbled upon the beginnings of a beautiful relationship, oh how naive we both were

2 Likes

Yup we did that was: Idle animations

…I think

I think thats what @Geoffers747 was referring to, but that’s more just an idle animation, and not a whole class or series of classes that would have a gameplay affect.

back when the world was young, and we both wore shirts…

agreed… i think this mod has great potential… not unlike spiderman! :smile:

2 Likes

Here’s one thread about a bard with some additional ideas :cat:

2 Likes

Yer I came across that one, there are a few comments somewhere on the forum where we discuss actual bands/ musicians related to festivals and stuff.

Never mind eh!

Interesting thread nonetheless :smile:

thanks @nekochan… that was really bugging me! :smile:

i think that since the topic you found was a suggestion, and this is a mod discussion, the two can stand independently… :+1:

Some could be used in battle like drums or horns.

1 Like

Sorry, everyone. I’ve been on a short vacation!

So, should I keep making this mod? That’s almost what I wanted to make in this mod, so would I be stealing his idea(I did it once before and almost got banned from a forum)?

As for battle drums, I have said that I would use them in battle to boost “Moral” and maybe attack speed or movement speed depending on the instrument.

I will begin posting pictures of the models soon, as I need to get the full version of Qubical Constructor.
As a side thing, does anyone know if I can use, say, Blender to help with model creation. Like, make the model in that instead (It sounds weird, but I make Voxel stuff faster in Blender the QC)?

Thanks for you time guys!

Just because you have similar ideas doesnt mean you have to drop yours, the both of you could combine ideas, or you could develop your own separate mods :smiley:

True dat. I’ll probably ask him about it anyway, just to make sure we have no hard feelings, who knows? I might get his help!

2 Likes

I whole heartedly support any and all bardic mods =D

Perhaps midi? or something similar?
This brings to mind something in mabinogi(another game). Players could compose their own songs using MML(Mabinogi Music Language) which the game would interpret into midi notes and play for everyone to hear.
… I have no idea if Lua can do that sort of thing

It would be really cool if each civilization had it’s own style of music/unique instruments.

I also think it would be cool to use older style instruments like lutes, pipe and tabor, fife, sackbut, etc etc

Ah, midi and lua… I have something for you.

I’m just waiting for something more precise than stonehearth:gameloop and a pitch for radiant:play_sound

Starbound uses the abc notation for their instruments. I guess it might be easier to implement and synchronise than midi. Although they use wav files for the instruments, not a midi output (to my knowledge).

1 Like

I liked the system of music in mabingi. With the singing they implemented recently it is almost perfect. Although it sounded awful (only level F :smiley: ).
If someone could implement that into stonehearth, that would be wonderful.

I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking at here ^^; It sounds… interesting?

Midi uses something similar to abc notation.
Basically, midi tells when and how hard to hit the note, and how long to hold it out. It wouldn’t be too hard to hook that into some .wav files to make it sound better. Actually, that is what VSTi does.

Me too, for the most part, some things about it were frustrating, like composition.
I raised all my music ranks to 5 or 6 (and had complete bottle set, and an almost complete handbell set) by the time I drifted away from mabi. Which was before singing was implemented. Did they try to emulate words? or did they just do oohs and aahs?

Just oohs and aahs :smile:. But you are really rocking if you do a perfect one. I drifted away too, but log in sometimes to check the updates.

Maybe that’s for the best ^^

I used to check in, but I stopped after they added the mini-scooter =/

I’ve been kind of thinking about this idea in general. My own idea would be to have a secondary class, that I call hobbies, so that you wouldn’t have dedicated musicians but would do things when they were not doing there primary job (class).

The thing boils down to performers and audience. You have a performer doing the action and the audience is receiving the buff. I was going to have hobby trees that were similar to class trees but for performers of various types. Musicians, artists, storytellers, astrologers and the like…

Oh yeah, I remember reading that! I thought it sounded pretty cool =)