Multi-level Stockpiles?

the stockpiles already have the ability to be sorted by type of item, in the future they may make it so that each stockpile only has one kind of item in it such as wood or stone only.

Well youā€™ve really dragged this thread up from the depths!

Are we talking about stockpiles in Stonehearth or in Gnomoria?

1 Like

I was under the impression that this was in Stonehearth. I suppose I was not paying attention to when the thread was last posted to only what the content was. As the thread was not closed and the question not answered definitively I thought I would chime in.

I am new to playing Stonehearth, and my comment of course came before I figured out that a stockpile could already be sorted to a single type of item. (not sure when that was implemented) Personally I think storage mechanics for the game would be an interesting thing to find out more about. If the designers are going for a more realistic shelves and store houses are going to be a big part of planning out your city.

Ah, I think I left this one open as I felt discussion could potentially crop up again (as it has), next week I should be free of the shackles of essays to make an effort of going through and tidying the place up a bit :slight_smile:

I believe it was accessible in the first release (granted thatā€™s only 17/18 days ago :P)

It definitely would, I know we have all these little icons, but it would definitely be cool if we could contextually see them in some sort of storage - for example building a weapon rack/ armour stand to display goods for our own aesthetic pleasure, or just acting as a general storage space.

Iā€™m sure weā€™ll see more when we actually have the capacity to build copious amounts of items!

1 Like

yes sir, from the very first alpha ā€¦ and it was goodā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

this would be very neat, if only for aesthetic purposesā€¦ seems reasonable too, in that the full size models wouldnt have to go through the ā€œshrinkingā€ process in order to adorn the racksā€¦ or, perhaps they are ā€œgrownā€ when placed on a rack, etc.

lots of possibilities!

I likt it. Same for multi-level stockpiles / shelves. I dont know how hard it would be to implement.

The only problem I can see with the weapon racks is modeling the difference between having a rack that has say 5 Swords, one that has 5 Spears, and one that has 2 Swords 2 Spears and an Ax.

This will be especialy difficult with with the style they have chosen for storage. I think it was stated that when something is in a stockpile it takes on a 10x10x10 cube form. They may change this in regards to weapons if they choose to implement a weapon rack system, but I have the feeling that even if the ā€˜weapon rackā€™ does not work the same as a stockpile the items placed on it will still lose some of their cube volume to save on space.

How about the ā€œstandardā€ stock piles which are 1 story are free but if you want height then you gotta build them at a wood cost.
the layout being 2-x-3. this stops the issue of not being able to get into the center. having a limit on the height means it will fit in a standard room.

upgraded stockpiles?

1 Like

looks great! :+1:

personally, i really like the ā€œwhat you see is what you getā€ approach to stockpilesā€¦ i realize there is a potential issue with real estate, but so far, it seems to work quite nicelyā€¦ and i enjoy having the specific piles of X littered about my settlementā€¦

iā€™d be curious to see what someone can dream up/mod in, but if the current system stays as is, i will be perfectly contentā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure the final stockpile will have the form of an actual stockpile not just a grid on the ground. I sense that starting with those 3 wooden blocks has something to do with it

I was just looking over some of the concept art and saw a picture that showed weapon racks. The concept seems to do it fairly well as you can see here. Not sure how it would work in game or how it could be coded, but it looks nice and would make any kind of ā€œStorehouseā€ look far more realistic.

1 Like

Ran into this old topic, thought Iā€™d share my solution for multi-level storage.
Works like a charm, just build a ladder against a wall and make sure each storey is 4 blocks high.
Then use the slab tool in the building menu to make the levels and cover with stockpile zone.

3 Likes