[MOD] Piles Plus v5.0 (The SH 1.0 update!) 📦

“stonehearth:catalog”: {
“display_name”: “i18n(hearty_stew:entities.food.hearty_stew.hearty_stew.display_name)”,
“description”: “i18n(hearty_stew:entities.food.hearty_stew.hearty_stew.description)”,
“icon”: “file(hearty_stew.png)”,
“is_item”: true,
“category”: “food”,
“material_tags”: “food_container prepared_food stew meat refined stockpile_prepared_food”
},

from the entities food hearty_stew.json

Is it not the same for stockpiles? with your permission I will mess with it and try to make a better storage version for you. I have done it with the cook mod and the archipelago mod.

Like I said the mod is awesome and models amazing I just need it to work with bs :wink:

Thanks in advance Unka Bean

Announcement

This mod is now available in the Steam Workshop. Since Deer and Cougar are now in the game (can someone confirm the cougar for me?), I will post an update where those can be piled as well. I will probably change the wolf_pelt_rack into the large_pelt_rack for large hides, similarly to how there is already a rack for small hides. That update will hopefully come soon, and will be pushed to both discourse and steam.

2 Likes

Feedback Needed

Just looked through the files for Stonehearth 1.0, and wow there are lots of things that could be made into piles. However, from lots of it, I don’t quite know wether it is in the game, and if it is used often enough to merit making a pile for it.

So the question is to everyone who has already done a decent playthrough of 1.0:

What resources/refined items/other from the new update could you use a pile of? Let me know?

1 Like

Piles of jerky. Ohhh so much jerky. Maybe like a barrel or crate of it?

1 Like

I’ll probably have to do a barrel or crate as you suggested. I tried thinking of an obvious way to store it, and maybe I could do something with a rack to leave it hanging and drying. You see that often. But I have no idea how I’m going to make that look good and stonehearthy. I’ll have a lot of thinking to do.

do these piles have to be crafted, or are they natural once you set up a stockpile? if they have to be crafted, I think there is a problem… why do I have to spend time crafting piles I will then have to harvest if i have more important things my crafter needs to make? Not trying to question, just trying to follow the idea.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Yes you do need to craft the piles.

The answer as to why would you make them, is the same as why you would make the log piles currently in game. That is as any problems these piles have, the piles from the current game (for wheat, logs, clay and stone) also have.

When would you use them, I think when you know you have a lot of stuff that you need to save for later, then it is useful. I do think piles could be more useful if there were, say,m an autopiling system in the game where your town piles resources up and down as necessary, but alas the game doesn’t and I don’t have the skills to implement it. That would however be the ultimate pile system. (Maybe someday…)

I made this mod mainly because it I though it was an easy way for my modding skills to add a lot of functionality and practical use to the game. After all, it’s just models, no fancy gameplay systems. You are right when you say that it is not always useful to have all your resources crafted up in piles at all times. At least it is useful if you craft some of your resources up, and if you need to save alot for later. (maybe you’ve just hewn out a giant underground castle, and you know you’re gonna need the stone and metals).

1 Like

After the one-year anniversary of this mod, I present to you, the update for SH v1.0

Piles Plus v5.0

This version adds the jerky pile (on request of Averest), and aims to make the mod 1.0-ready.
Due to just how many resources have been added to the game in the release update, I don’t have full coverage of all resources anymore. Suffered have the skins (sorry zilla) and the fibers, as well as resource categories that never had piles, but do have resources. Trying to get full coverage of all the possible resources would mean making a lot more piles, most of which you’ll rarely use. Thus, if you want/need a pile included in this mod, ask me, that is the best way to for me to know what is actually useful to add. I added a jerky drying rack by request of Averest for that reason, so don’t hesitate to ask for piles!

@Averest, do you want to check a little something for me please. Due to the fact that jerkys stack in stacks of 3, it can be that the reducing rate of the jerky pile feels a little underwhelming for a rack that should be able to house 24 jerkies. I do not know wether that is the case, so do you want to check that for me. If that is the case, I might want to up the capacity to 72 jerkies to compensate.

Download
at the first post

Changes in v5.0

• transferred core files to Steam. The basic infrastructure is now that of the steam mod. It should be backwards compatible for non-steam users.
  • added pile of jerky
  • Made changes to the folder structure, the mod should be backwards compatible.
  • rotten piles of jerky and rotten boxes of eggs can now be harvested,… for rotten stuff,… but hey, maybe that will someday be useful somehow.
  • added an easter egg
  • made custom material tags translateable
  • more changes to large pelt racks and small pelt racks, including new pelts,
    • the racks are now slightly shifted upwards, so you might need to destroy and replace every rack so their models update. This was sadly necessary. It was due to the hacky nature of their positioning that I had to change it, because it didn’t work anymore.
    • made the large pelt racks also drop boar but no cougar (ask me if change is necessary there)
    • the large pelt racks now have boar hides in them, to reflect previous change
    • small pelt racks now drop deer hides as well
3 Likes

I would think that 24 would be fine for a rack. The other racks are piles of 18 and 20.

I agree, it just might be that everyone is like, this pile doesn’t take 24 jerkies, it just takes 8, and that is way not enough. Actually it would then take 8 stacks of 3, which is 24 jerkies, but it doesn’t feel like that to the player. I hope that this problem doesn’t crop up, but I want to know wether it does nonetheless.

Is the mod updated on Steam? I subscribed and I don’t see the new rack.

I updated the mod on steam, so it should be there, lemme check the manifest to see if I made a mistake somehow.

Edit, @Averest, here is what I did. I first looked whether or not all was fine in the manifest and recipe .jsons, and all seemed to be fine. I then disabled the mod in my steam upload column, and subscribed to it via steam, so it now shows up as subscribed mods. If the updating didn’t work via steam, I should have subscribed to the old version, and I would have seen it.

However, when I opened my test world,. I was perfectly able to locate the jerky rack, make the jerky rack and place the jerky rack without problems. (only an error notification related to decay, and I have no clue what that is about.)

My conclusion is that it should work for you, unless you were already subscribed and there is a problem with updating mods on your end. The jerky pile should be in the cook’s workshop. Otherwise, I do not know where the problem comes from.

The Cook! I didn’t think to look there. Makes perfect sense.

Where did you look, is there another sensible crafter to give it to?

I, being unfamiliar with how the mod categorizes things, looked in the weaver. Jerky is food. Therefore cook. I’m just dumb and sans coffee this morning.

1 Like

:smile: That happens to all of us sometimes.

Here she is with her new creation!

1 Like

I think I found a harvesting exploit. After you harvest the jerky rack, it It seems to spawn a random assortment of jerkies. Normally this would be fine, jerky’s jerky, right? Not necessarily. I sold a bunch and found mutton jerky (Labeled as rack of mutton) and it sells for 45.

I’ll look into it.

1 Like
2 Likes