Mining/Landscaping in Stonehearth

I agree that we should be able to edit the landscape. I think that would add a really nice aspect to the game and would allow you to have a lot more control over the way your town looks.

I think the miner class idea is also a great idea. Kind of like an old Minecraft mod called like towny or something, you would create a miners hut and chest and he would just begin strip mining. I think Stonehearth’s miner class could work something like this.

No, I think you should have to designate which areas you want mined, otherwise it’ll be hell to plan things properly. Imagine if the farmer class decided that it knew best about where to farm, and what to farm - you end up fighting with your units about where to do stuff, which is bad/frustrating gameplay.

On a completely separate note, the idea of strip mining brought to mind this, but for Stonehearth:

1 Like

Maybe an underground view mode?

And you could specify mining areas (options for ore, for stone, for everything) the same way you specify hunting areas for the trapper. Mining only ores or only stone would make them create tunnels, mining everything would make them clear the specified area.

Something like this should work fine IMHO:

http://cdn.gnomoria.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/mining_ui.png

Specify where to dig, and they’ll go dig. If you find some nice minerals, then decide whether you want to mine them or not (remember, there may be good reasons for not mining out a particular spot… remember you found lava above there earlier etc?).

8 Likes

This would be my preferred choice as well. Perhaps the height of the tunnels can automatically be set to the size of walls so that there is some consistency in room size.

2 Likes

I’d rather not have a massive hole in my Stonehearth map, that would be rather odd. However I agree that the random miner could be bothersome. I’m just kinda tossing out ideas. So on that note, if not random mining, if not mining out a crater, how could we do this? Maybe a selector tool like the one in MCedit?? All of the blocks become partially transparent and you can select an area and then push/pull the selected area to expand or contract the are you want to mine.

1 Like

When I imagine mining in a game like Stonehearth, I think of this.

Mines should be able to configured and laid out by the player, like how deep, how long, how tall, where the mine branches out, etc, out before mining, in some sort of “planning” mode. Mines should then be able to be mined.

And underground viewing mode would be cool, though, but it would be better if it worked like the FoW, where you can’t see where the materials are until your settlers are near them.

4 Likes

I feel that, a system that allows you to see underground at different levels will make you better understand and plan your construction, so i personally think it’d be the better choice. Like the second picture you posted, not the first and just like dwarf fortress, you can’t see through the first layer that has been dug up by your hearthlings.

1 Like