Making Weather Feel Like A Bigger Deal

I just had Naryl Iskender visit while my Hearthlings were desperately trying to hunker down in their tents, as a sandstorm ravaged the local mountain. Without his caravan. What was he thinking?

It seems to me that merchants, especially, shouldn’t visit your town at least while there’s catastrophic weather like an active sandstorm on the map - and perhaps not at all on those days? Delaying quest dialogue might not work as well, but if they could somehow detect it and throw in a line about seeking shelter rather than just leisurely explaining everything apparently out in the open… I think that would help the immersion some.

I’d also like to see the weather clear up, at least slightly, after the sandstorm itself has passed from the map. (And perhaps for other natural disasters too? I’ve barely played at all in the temperate biome this alpha, so I don’t have much of an opinion there.) Rewarding players for weathering a sandstorm by giving them clearer skies would definitely make it feel better, IMO. But mostly I find it annoying having a very limited view for the whole rest of the day. Sometimes I feel like sandstorms are wasted days - which would only get worse if other events were delayed or canceled - so having nicer weather for the rest of the day could help.

I checked some of the other weather threads and I didn’t think this quite fit, but feel free to merge it if you think it makes sense.

6 Likes