Making Translation Helper open source - Help wanted

Hi everyone! As many of you knows, I wrote a translation assistance program a long time ago to help out with the translation process. I have no idea of how well-used it is, but as far as I know it still works quite well and can be useful.

I haven’t updated it in a long time, but there are for sure things that could be improved, fixed or new features added. But I don’t have the time now nor will have for a long time. For a skilled programmer it’s not a big deal to make a replacement program, but until that happens I will gladly make the project avaliable to the community.

What is the best way to do this? Can I send the project to Radiant to put on their github - where they and selected others can contribute? Or make a git myself? But I have no idea of how it works or how to maintain or connect to Visual Studio so I’m not too interested in that solution… I’d rather just donate it to Radiant or the community instead of just having a local folder that grows old and in the end totally abandoned.

Yang helped me update the program to make it compatible with alpha 12 (or so) when localization files were re-structured in a way that totally broke my system. I also got help with bug testing and support for some minor problems in the forum thread so it only feels fair to make everything fully avaliable for everyone - if only anyone could take lead on maintaining it :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you for your contribution, @tkh.
Though it doesn’t handle full-width symbols well, it’s still a great tool.
But I’m not expert in github or something like that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Paging @moderators!

2 Likes

Hey @tkh, I am confident that if you could make that translation tool, you can get it up onto github, and reap all the subsequent rewards. For example, if you ever want to apply for a job that involves coding, you can say that you have a public project on github and point people towards the source. It’s a huge validator, and honestly, you’ve earned it!

Github has a pretty straight forward guide here. I’ve never followed these steps personally, but take a look and see if it’s something you’d like to try. :slight_smile:
https://guides.github.com/introduction/getting-your-project-on-github/

For more about git and github:
https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/

Thank you again for making the tool. If you really, really, really never want to see it again, then we’d be happy to take a look at bringing it in, but honestly, I don’t think we’d have time to work on it for a while either, and if people had questions about it, you’d be the right person to answer them anyway. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ok, I connected myself to github and I’ve at least created the repo. So for the record, it’s now out there and I guess that means you can clone it or work with it… somehow? :slight_smile:

1 Like