Making soil for gardens

Well, there is and should be obvious places to plant gardens and animals but it would be nice if you could make soil or at least transplant it so you can make gardens in rocky areas.

Say you want a castle in the mountains, but want a garden, well you’re sol. Lets you could make garden beds but at a huge cost of a 4x4x4 cube would be needed for a 4x4 garden bed.

(yes I know you can grow stuff in 1 foot of soil but it’s not viable long term, the nutrient leakage is massive)

2 Likes

Alright, a couple questions regarding how you feel it should be done.

1. From your desire I take it that moving dirt to your location is absurdly difficult or time consuming. Could you not 'mine’a space to fill with your 4x4x4 and then have them ‘place’ from a nearby stockpile?
  2. What about an additional crafting station that uses wood/coal/rock to produce “/”/gravel mulch? They’re realistic bedding options, with a (relatively) simple implementation.*
  3. Any particular stylization preferred?

*The gravel : rock would be 1:1, script could be made that the game would read the gravel as synonymous with dirt.

1. If im correct they are working on that. Called Geomancer
  2. i guess anything that looks normal with planted flowers wich can be made from the farmyard could add.
1 Like

@RedHex

1. The pondering I had involved digging a 4x4x4 hole or finding one and then filling it with soil. To achieve a 4x4 plot, the reason for the difficulty is that there’s plenty of great green space that you could have chosen, but you picked a rock to live on… now suffer.
  2. I would say an addition of “fertilizer bench” an excellent idea, have the farmers use it. There could be a handful of recipies.

recipes could include
-waste from the coal of the blacksmith as charcoal is great for gardens
-waste from woodworker, sawdust and woodchips are great for retaining moisture in dry soil that easily wicks away water
-waste from tailor, similar to woodchip waste
-waste or product from herbalist, potash, urea, sulfer, bonemeal, rock phosphate

these all could be collected and used at the fertilizer bench to enhance the soil top layer of a garden, an easy animation is a simple colour change of the soil. The blacker the soil typically the richer the soil is. You could have the farm soil slowly turn tan as its minerals are eaten up by farming.

1. as for style, not sure what you mean. and if its with regard to models or animations anything that would be for moving soil would also involve changes in other carrying mechanics. I would like to see the ability to have them dump the soil at least directly downward in the square in front of the edge. This way you wouldn’t have to build ramps or ladders.