Grow bed farmss

Add a craftable item called a planter or grow bed in which you can place just like normal furniture but it has a 3 by 3(or whatever size) of farmland in it.
This way you can have a mountain base without having to have grass near by.
Should be able to have a variety for wood, metal, stone, and clay.

18 Likes

I believe the amount of likes speaks for itself.

'Nuff said.

1 Like

Yea it seems people really like the idea.(Which I totally did not get from subnautica)

1 Like

I think I’d rather the ability for Farm plots to be designated as garden beds, in which case a small amount of wood or stone would be required to build the edging to contain the raised soil. This would make it easier to make larger amounts of arable soil than individually crafted items, and would give the Farmer more tasks to carry out.

so the farmer would build it?

to be fair, such a thing is basically required in any game where you need to farm food but don’t always want to live on the farm/ideal farming location.

I mean, why live in the plains where it’s just grass for miles around, when you can live in a volcano, or underwater, or on the moon, etc. etc.?

3 Likes

To be honest, when I first read the title, I thought of a farm where beds grow. It sounded rather surreal, but then I read the post, so it’s all right.

I agree there should be a way to farm up in the mountains, but I would much prefer if it was possible to transfer dirt from the lowlands to the mountains to build those farming beds. This would open up the possibility to build terraced farms. Plus, if one wanted to, one could add hanging gardens to their buildings.

BUT!

There has to be some sort of limitation. You can’t just put your farmland to the top of Mt. Everest and expect things to grow in the cold.

3 Likes

Yeah, some sort of irrigation requirement (to add to water gameplay) requiring a supporting structure of channels would be cool for mountain farms. Adding things like climate (possible season dependent) to require mountain farms to be somehow semi-indoor (greenhouse-like) or have a lot of fireplaces around would add a lot of gameplay and challenge to building awesome mountain cities.

2 Likes

Another option would be, if we get weather events along with seasons, to simply have different weather conditions on mountains so that they’re less habitable for plants; while plains/lowlands are ideal.

Rain could give a boost to crop yield/growth rate, and sunny days could also speed up the growth rate, so certain seasons become better for different crops – your quick-growing veggies are great when it’s raining because you get more of them, while the hot summer-equivalent season helps corn, wheat etc. to grow quickly.

On the other hand though, in the depths of winter (for Ascendancy and Northern Alliance, at least), frosts could damage or kill off crops. Of course, mountains can get frosts throughout the majority of the year (e.g. when it’s light spring rains on the lowlands, the mountain peaks still get snow/frost); so any crops up there would need to be protected greenhouse-style.

3 Likes