Make Cramped Environment Debuff Less Powerful

Ok so about an hour ago I wanted to make an underground dwelling for a change. After a few minutes of digging into a mountainside, I started to get notifications of Hearthlings being severely low health, I was really confused when this happened.

At first I thought it was because there wasn’t enough food, but the daily report said I had well over enough food for the whole colony, then I noticed it was the cramped environment debuff.

Even in a 11x11 room Hearthlings still feel cramped and start to lose health overtime, so I think the cramped environment should be less powerful or it should only lessen the mood of the Hearthling, not their actual health.

1 Like

Whoa I didn’t know they could lose health from that debuff. Are you using any mods? If you use the Stonehearth Café mod and your hearthlings are thirsty they’ll lose health too.

1 Like

Im not sure, I checked everyone’s status and no one was hungry or thirsty…

I am using the Cafe mod and other various mods though.

1 Like

Yikes, if it’s not being caused by hunger/thrist and it’s from the cramped environment that sounds way too strong. I’m a very slow builder so my poor hearthlings end up spending months sleeping under the stars lol.

Ok so I trapped some Hearthlings inside a small wall for a while and they started to lose health. Now i’m actually not sure if it’s because they slept on the ground or because of the cramped environment… xD

1 Like

Haha, it happens. Still a good idea for someone to look into it just in case.

This might be the cafe mod. Since alpha 21 I’ve noticed the thirst popup not correctly appearing and only being reminded of the need to produce more drinks or water the moment hearthlings start to lose health.

2 Likes

That’s why I was wondering. I had a massive panic moment, got caught up watching my hearthlings build and wasn’t paying attention to water. 30 hearthlings spread over a very large area all losing health, clerics leveling like crazy trying to keep folks alive, and I’m frantically zippin’ around to cancel building projects and get them to harvest water. :glum:

Oh. That may be the case. XD I’m still really new to Stonehearth.

Anyways, the cramped environment should still be not as strong…

1 Like

Besides your problem with the mod, keep in mind that they are not only checking for horizontal space! They need head space too. If your ceiling is just 4 blocks tall (from a tunnel mined with the 4x4x4 tool) then they will always feel cramped! You need at least 6 block tall space first, then they start looking for horizontal space.

2 Likes

On my last play through I made underground rooms for my non-crafter hearthlings for the first half of the game. I noticed NO cramped feelings at all and I checked to make sure. Each room was 8x8, with one comfy bed, one lantern on the wall, and a double door. I didn’t extend the ceiling either.

1 Like

Thanks man, I started out a new game and extended the ceiling to 6 blocks tall. They don’t have the cramped environment issue anymore. I didn’t know that :stuck_out_tongue: I started Stonehearth quite recently.

1 Like

UPDATE: Honestly it’s such a hassle trying to mine out 6 block tall areas, especially big ones.

3 Likes

I just double checked and my ceilings are the normal 4 block high, dug out with the 64-cube mining tool. I don’t understand why you’re getting the cramped condition when I’m not. :glum:

2 Likes

Mine out 4-high areas with the cube tunnel tool, then use the individual block tool to shear away two more blocks of floor. There are better ways, but there aren’t easier ones =)

It’s the Cafe Mod. It has known bugs with the latest build.