Mac/Linux version

Yer unfortunately Alpha 1 is only for PC - Mac and Linux support will be coming, but I have no idea at what stage the team are looking to implement it, sorry!

Welcome aboard @polarpanda16!

Sadly you will have to wait for an actual Mac release, although it has been promised to come at some point, however try running Wine on your Mac if you really want to play today! It basically runs Windows, meaning you can play Windows-exclusives! It is a fairly popular programme with Mac users. :slight_smile:

I believe @Xavion uses Wine? And so might be able to provide some insight into whether or not it’s possible.

Thanks @Smokestacks!

I installed steam and stonehearth through Parallels on another computer. And it installed properly but when I try to launch it I get an error window “error == GL_NO_Error” anyone know what this means?

No problem!

As for your error, it is quite a common error for the GT2. If you would be so kind as to just head on over here, by ‘liking’ the initial post, you show that you also have that bug, and help give the team an idea of how much they should prioritise fixing it.

Hopefully with the Alpha 1 launch today, we will see bugs like that one gone, as it was one of, if not the, most common bug. :slight_smile:

It’s happening to a few people - whether it’s been cleared up for Alpha 1 I’m afraid I couldn’t tell you :frowning:

Ok, thanks for the quick help, I’ll be patient.

Sometimes reopening or reinstalling helps clear this error.

1 Like

I’ve tried getting the game to work through WINE on Mac and can get it like get ready to start but it never does. Anyone get it to work/can post instructions?

these things usually need a wine patch to run and seeing as the core program is going to change on a regular basis i cant imagine it being supported. The the time it is there will be a mac version anyway

here’s some feedback on running SH via VMware (courtesy of naduta on the StonehearthGuru forums):

I personally am running it right now through VMware Fusion 5 with Windows 7 installed on a Mac Pro so I have the RAM to spare to throw at it; haven’t tried it on my MacBook Pro 2008 but probably wouldn’t due to not being able to give 8 GB memory to it.

VMware Fusion 5.0.4 (afraid to upgrade to 6.0.0 and game not work)

VMware Tools 9.2.4, build-1398046

2 Likes

I’m late to the party but you can always try to dual-boot using Windows. I know it’s extreme, but if you really want to it’s an option. Not sure whether wine is an executable or a dual boot so if it’s the same ignore this comment. I’ve never used a Mac.

Edit: Hey now that I think of it with an external hard drive you could probably even save the trouble of wiping and partitioning. Would allow you to be Mac or Windows with a simple BIOS switch. You could set Primary boot to USB 3.0 or eSATA then secondary boot to the primary hard drive. Every time you connect the external it should auto-boot windows. Sometimes my best ideas come when I can barely keep my eyes open! (Except when at a bar :shudders: )

i would not recommend installing or running windows on a mac as a native OS. have seen this time and time again. OSX is far more efficient and runs far cooler than windows so when it takes over the system ends up running hot almost constantly. can cause damage to the system due to over heating issues etc…
had a friend in college who did just that. they wouldn’t accept a return either (happend in a few months).
Like previously stated if you want to run windows on your mac just use some sort of emulator like VMware or virtualbox. you will get excellent performance out of it this way anyway.

While that seems true (Click Below)

It should be made clear that it’s most likely due to a Mac Bios setting or some other bloated program to slow down Windows on Mac machines. (See Below)

As in similar machines (Mac machine was more powerful but only slightly) they performed similarly.

no denying that it runs well but thats not what i was commenting on. i said native as in instead of OSX. in my experience emulating was ok and as osx was still there to keep a lid on things to ensure things dont get out of hand there was no over heating.
when windows was installed instead of osx there were issues. Windows requires massive amounts of resources just top STAY idle. windows 7 uses over a GB of ram for not doing a damn thing. This can put a lot of pressure on a system that isnt prepared for it.
its important to remember that macs are built from the ground up to make maximum use of and ensure maximum compatibility with its hardware as opposed to just coping with whats available. its why people have so much trouble installing osx on PC’s

Stonehearth broke sometime after 0.1.0.53, unable to determine when since I was moving, and now on 0.1.0.122 which does not work in my VMware environment.

If I can figure out how to get it working I will create a separate post with it.

3 Likes

Official word in the dev blog the other day is that “OSX and Linux ports will come after all major game features are complete.”

So, based on the pace of development so far, I’d expect late 2015. That’s just me guessing, though. We’re running out of 2014, even though they’re clearly adding a lot now with each Alpha. They’ll want to do a short beta period once everything is in, and then that’s when they’ll start working on Mac and Linux.

Anyway, I’ve had success with both Boot Camp and Parallels. I haven’t tried VMWare but I’ve been playing Stonehearth somehow or another on my Mac Pro since Alpha 1 and it’s not been a problem.

1 Like

The OSX port has been mentioned a lot, but nothing about Linux. Realistically, thats the same thing. But developers dont look at it like that. (EA, I’m looking at you) And this

I’m guessing this was what came from the top of her mind first, but that reminded me.

Do you have any clue when this will come on Linux? Wine threw a bunch of Lua errors at me.

1 Like

Hey @Stian, most people do ask after the OSX port, so that’s what comes first to mind. However, we plan to start OSX and Linux at the same time (whenever that will be) because we think they may have quite a bit in common. We’re also looking forward to some performance tools we can get on Linux that should help all versions of the game.

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile: Ask far as I’m concerned, Linux has better performance than Windows/OS X if you look at the stats. And they do indeed have a bit in common. If you dont use GLFW already (available here) you should try it out! In my tests, that had better performance than any other library AND better than the platform specific toolkits.

2 Likes