Lua: Sources Of Information (Tutorials, Guides, Books, References, etc.)

For a super light tool Context with a nice highlighter doesnt offer a whole lot more than notepad but nice none the less. Actually I seem to recall you can set up a console environment too.

It supports a lot of languages by default and supports textmate syntax thingys so with those it supports pretty much everything, it also a bunch of packages for various things like language agnostic code completion but I haven’t really tried it with lua so I’m not sure how well they work for it but I presume it would be decent for it at least.

Okay, so I need some help.

I am uber excited about Stonehearth and love how moddable it’s all going to be. And of course, what’s the point in it being moddable if I’m not going to abuse it? Now, it’s 5 months 'til the beta. Gah. But that does give me some time. You see I am keen on becoming a programmer. But at the moment, I can’t really programme and until Stonehearth came along I had not even heard of Lua. I am only 15 :cry:. But as I said, I am uber keen on programming and would love to actually be able to mod Stonehearth.

So what I’m asking for is anyone who could help me. Where do I start? Should I learn another language first? Is Lua just too hard of a language for me to be beginning with? After all I’ve only done stuff in Scratch. Yeah :thumbsup:. I’ve roamed the forums and entered the Bitcave but it was a bit too advanced for me. Maybe one day I’ll belong.

So what these rambling paragraphs all amount to is, can anybody help me to learn Lua?

There is actually a entire forum thread devoted to this made by Voxel Pirate i think it’s called the Bitcave, look for it in the search engine up at the corner (maginfying glass) and you can learn a lot here :smiley: Welcome to the community

I did visit there and was blown away by the knowledge of everyone. I was honestly a tad intimidated. I’ll revisit it and see if there’s anything more at my level but everything was honestly just a bit over my head.

Here: Lua Tutorials | Dev-HQ

This site is teaching you Lua. Read it through and learn it :smiley: I wish you luck

Ahhh thank you! This is perfect, I now have my week’s to do list :wink:

No problem duder! I hope to see something awesome after beta release :package:
@SteveAdamo I think this is when you merge this with some other LUA thread or lock it? Idk im not a mod but figured I’d toss it your way!

Another site that you can use is luatut.com

It has a pretty good explanation of everything and is interactive as well. That’s where I went to get started in Lua.

Lua(In my so far experiences) Is a lot like java, though one is a scripting and the other is a programming language. So if you know java, learning lua will be fairly simple for you :slight_smile:

Thankyou @ManOfRet I’ll look at that too. :smiley:

And @Inumel unfortunately I have never worked with Java in my life :crying_cat_face:

agreed… so shall it be done! :smile:

1 Like

Hehe , I used to try learning programming languages for fun, so I know a bit of C++, java and lua. Now I use lua a lot for the Minecraft mod ComputerCraft

Merits to whom merits belong… “The BitCave” is run by @bitassassin, I am just one of the guests there :wink:.

@Smokestacks If you want to learn a language “just” to prepare for Stonehearth, apart from Lua you might want to take a look into JavaScript (later jQuery, Ember.js and Handlebars). I would say Lua and JS are similar in terms of effort to learn, but JS has one advantage… you can use it :smiley:. What I mean is that you can start implementing JS in a website you might be already running and you have a nice learning experience, where Lua is a bit more theoretical until you start coding for another game.

1 Like

Thank you @voxel_pirate, these forums are just full of useful people :slight_smile: well as I’m still young I get a whole summer off to spend so I’ll have a look at both :wink:

The sucky thing for me is that my summer ends in about 10 days… Back to school for me!

However, I have been learning Lua, HTML, and CSS over the past couple of days… and look forward to continuing to learn.

@bitassassin is like a puff of smoke though:

I’m not always in the air you breathe,
But when I am I make you cough.

Or I’m just not around much because I’m moving in ten days.

@voxel_pirate Thanks for the shout-out mate.

Regards,
Bits

This is not really a source, but I don’t know if anyone has posted already about it in this forum (I don’t even remember where did I found it). It is an IDE that allows you to create games in Lua with your iPad. I find it really cool. Codea – iPad

1 Like

ok, now this… is… Sparta! cool!

2 Likes

I know Dawn of Fantasy has a editor that uses Lua for its modding, I haven’t gotten around to playing around with it at all though. So if any of you guys are thinking of modding heavy this might also be a good start. It gives you use to the games functions also - but I stop’d playing and decided not to mod for the game because of poor documentation (for the game itself, not Lua) this was at least half a year ago I believe so maybe they’ve got more docs now. Just throwing this out there for anyone that’s bought it on Steam and wanted to learn Lua that over looked it - that way you don’t have to learn in theory but would be able to apply Lua directly to a already built game.

1 Like