Introducing SH:TD - Stonehearth Tower Defense

Steam: Steam Workshop :: SH:TD - Stonehearth Tower Defense
Github: GitHub - paulthegreat/tower_defense: SH:TD - a tower defense mod for Stonehearth

A total conversion cooperative tower defense mod in the style of the classic Warcraft 3 custom map Burbenog. Play by yourself or with up to 7 (!!! not advised !!!) other players: select a kingdom, which will start out with level 1 towers unlocked for you, wait for all other players to join, select their kingdoms, and get in the game, and then you can build your towers and unpause to start the first wave! It’s highly recommended to check out the Reference Window (the “?” menu icon), especially when you first start looking at the tooltips for all the towers. Tower attack priorities can be adjusted by selecting the tower and dragging/checking/unchecking filters.

Very clearly most of the graphical assets are placeholders: models and icons in particular, but also projectiles and effects. If you would like to contribute models, though the format isn’t completely solidified yet (currently it’s just a single model, but ideally the weapon models will be separate from the tower base model, and then the weapon model could turn to face the primary target), or any other assets, please let me know.

DISABLE ALL NON-BASE MODS, INCLUDING ACE! This is a total conversion mod and may not play well with mods designed to work with the normal game.

Tips:

• Check out the Reference Window (the “?” menu icon) for information on buffs and other iconography.
  • Mouse-over the weather icons in the upper right to see information on upcoming waves. The most important counters you’ll need to have ready in time are towers that can attack Air and towers that can reveal invisible monsters.
  • Click on the “Enemies” tracker underneath the game state information (in the upper right) during a wave to open the Spawned Monsters view.
  • Donated gold goes to the common pool: any player can use resources from the common pool, and bounty (from killed monsters and wave end bonus) is awarded in equal shares to all players and the common pool. Wood cannot be donated.

Known Issues:

• Saving and reloading works pretty well, as long as you’re not in the middle of a wave. If you’re in the middle of a wave, existing projectiles, “ground presences”, other attacks in progress, and monster AI will all get canceled, generally resulting in a small loss of effectiveness upon reload.
  • Tower statistics aren’t fully reliable, I have plans to improve those for better use balancing.
  • Speaking of balance, it may not be great.
  • Landmarks around map edges might be a little funky; they’re a very recent addition and will hopefully be improved soon.
  • Buff durations in tooltips are still in game time (“hours” / “minutes”) while everything else uses actual seconds.
  • Monsters each have one of a very few chicken names, regardless of species (besides the beetles, which have Beatles names).
  • Tower tooltips don’t account for dynamic adjustments (e.g., from buffs granted by other towers or by weather).
  • Some planned features, like tower attack accuracy (and monster avoidance) have not yet been implemented.
13 Likes

Wow, this is so polished and full-featured! Damage types, upgrades, multi-faction requirements, AOE visualization, custom UI, custom tooltips, weather, MP resource management. Just amazing! Died on Wave 17 on my first try. Gonna play some more. This is bringing back lots of fond memories!

Here’s my fiery kingdom being completely annihilated by a flock of chickens:

Anyone order ghost bacon?

Bizarro Beatles:

Random polish stuff:

• The error for not having enough resources to upgrade a turret shows the localization string instead of the localized text.
  • Ants and ghost boars have chicken names.

ideally the weapon models will be separate from the tower base model, and then the weapon model could turn to face the primary target

I remember seeing code that achieves this through animation by setting a bone/joint to face a target. I don’t remember if it’s used in the base game turrets though.

P.S. The dream of the HOBA lives on!

7 Likes

Comeee ooooon Paul

Let’s make the HearthlingUnknown’s BATTLEGROUNDS

:rofl:

(a MOBA or RTS works too :smiley: )

2 Likes

holy shitballs paul. I GOTTA TRY THIS.

1 Like

This is pretty amazing to see such a huge conversion on the game engine, offering a different experience. Tower Defence games are quite fun. Great work here, Paul!

1 Like

OMG. Like. What. :smiley: <3 <3 <3

P.S. The dream of the HOBA lives on!

You are killing me

In the best way

8 Likes