Idea: Contribute your art/models/etc to Stonehearth?

Someone remind me–is there a basic free version of Quibicle that would work? I actually wouldn’t mind trying my hand at some decorations if I can get the program to work on my computer.

2 Likes

there is one, but you cant export from it. but there are other free voxel modeling programs that are really good. i currently use magicavoxel, which is perfect if you just want things with single matrices, so only furniture etc, nothing that requires animations

3 Likes

Why has @Pandemic not been paged? @SteveAdamo are you discriminating against pans?

4 Likes

If I’m being honest idk how much I like this idea. For one thing it could have a bad effect on the Mods for the game because everything everyone wants will be put in through community submissions, along with that the people who are known in the community and have had more practice with the style would get in more than a new user if you go by user voting.

It could be a good idea and no matter how you do it there will be glaring issues. Frankly I can see people flooding with models they’ve had for years, it’d need to be done in a way where we get a decent reward for the work but not have favoritism factor into the deciding process. Which for human beings is impossible, and systems can obviously be flawed in many ways.

Although fundamentally I like the idea. Having people’s models added in game would heavily impact game modding (aside from conversion mods) along with generate issues with what gets in or not wiether its a system deciding, people or the dev team. I feel more time is needed to fully think this ‘feature’ out before getting public opinion or even consider attempting.

4 Likes

well said my man! though i love the idea of having the community contributed models, i think you covered basically everything i have “against” the idea.

3 Likes

i think they should only add existing mods which are harmonize with the current game and give a list of entities or animations which they need - so they will not overflood with old files :wink:

for the mods i think there will be a poll good :wink: but i dont know how to make one - because of this i have send a list to steve ^^

edit: and now 8crab ^^

1 Like

Considering Radiant would be making a specific list of objects/assets that they’re looking for (and it’s not a case of making entirely new systems and devices for the game outside of their scope), I don’t think there’s too much issue with the concept. Whether it’s the team that judges it or the community (plus the team’s approval), I honestly think the community needs something like this.

The community has felt relatively slow recently, and we could certainly use some events to keep us active and interested. It’ll also encourage more people (such as myself) to look into voxel design programs which could potentially lead to more modding in the long run. And if people aren’t motivated to try, when would they start?

As for having to go against established members of the community…well, there’s always the option to have anonymous polls as a final solution. Take away the name and it’s just a case of what the voters prefer.

Personally, I’m for it. The more events and gatherings keeping the community together and motivating its members to try things, the better.

5 Likes

I would suggest a pure Anonymous entry for all submissions for voting purposes if community gets to vote.

I also think TR should set up a disclaimer that needs to be agreed before submissions are uploaded.

1. Person makes an Asset (or whatever) for submission.
  2. Fills out a mini form with name etc,.
  3. Before upload, Disclaimer pops!
  4. Person hits accept continues upload.

Short, Sweet and Simple… And TR covers their butts for any future grief.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Different game modes

To tell you the truth, I would also have said @Froggy first >.>

What’s all this about? Man, I need to watch the stream right now…

I agree about accepting a huge disclaimer and about the anonymous entries for voting.

4 Likes

Crazy, but I like crazy … and the idea…

Popping back in for a moment to chip in to this!

In order to keep everything fair, entries would definitely have to be anonymous, at least until the winner was announced. I agree with @Atralane in that this could definitely be a big help to the modding community as well as the community in general, since people tend to pop in and out at random intervals based on other life events and obligations. That said, I’m all for this kind of project from TR. The more things to keep everyone interested and motivated to try new things with Qubicle and magicavoxel and the like, the better!

2 Likes

Since I’m short with time, I haven’t read all here but what is this contest stuff about? Anonymous? Votes?? Why these complications? Things should be simple, Tom need something, he ask for it, people do their models, Tom choose the one he like to put it in game as it or build upon it, end of story…

5 Likes

If looking for ways to implement this, then what @ponder said makes most sense imo. Make a new category, “bounty board” or something, only TR can post topics in it with requests to the community, and then the community can answer the thread with suggestions for TR to choose from. With a sticky topic there with the disclaimer and rules I think it would be the ideal way to go for TR’s sake.

Yer I have to agree … I mean sure there might be a caveat here and there but it surely doesn’t need to be this debated/ complicated.

Stick with the original intention, Team R would like the community to contribute models on X, Y, and Z. People do that. Team R use or adapt the model they feel fits closest to what they’re looking for (they are making the game don’t forget, executive decision should be theirs not ours), or use none.

As for legality issues that cropped up, I mean, really? You’re creating a model with the express intention of providing it for Team R with no expectation of payment other than a ‘thank you’ in the game, the relationship is a pretty clear one.

3 Likes

I don’t see a huge problem with this myself. You have a 2d artist and a 3d artist on the team already and the both of you are more than capable of creating a whole stonehearth worth of materials. Extra stuff that gets to be “official content” and is donated by modders doesn’t seem to hurt anyone.

2 Likes

I think the only thing I hesitated at was the discussion about if there was a poll, and dealing with the fact that some people have clearly made a popular name for themselves on the Discourse already. Sure, an anonymous poll would take some more work, but it might be kind of fun not knowing who made what. I guess the easiest way to do it would be a dedicated email address?

If it’s just Tom’s choice, though, well then no problems. You just need to appease his tastes, end of story.

I agree though with the whole legal debate–this is clearly a for-fun and non-profit activity. I figure it at least should be reminded, but I don’t think paperwork should be necessary.

3 Likes

All It takes is 1 bad sport and then it’s over… Not the game or anything, but this idea that is…

Sorry, I just have a pessimistic attitude towards the potential of the “Entitled” crowd… They can and will destroy a cool thing, just to get their way.

As far as a Form goes, I don’t see a problem with at least attaching your Name, and a sentence or 2 describing what it is your submitting.

Seems I’m a little late to the party!

Internet lawyers aside; as interesting as this idea is, I don’t think it will work.

One of the biggest draws to Stonehearth for me was the art style. Tom has hit solid gold as far as I’m concerned and the Stonehearth aesthetic is a special one. One I have yet to successfully reproduce.

This game, and its art style is clearly Toms baby. Inviting users to submit models would be the equivalent of inviting strangers to dress your child. It’s never going to be quite right!

Sifting through multiple entries and making the required changes would arguably be more time consuming than if Tom were to create the model himself.

6 Likes

I quite agree with that. And to me if this come to see the light, Tom must be the one to approve a model depending his own criteria.

3 Likes