I think that's a bit excessive guys...!

Actually, they can do that–That how I was able to pull off buildings like the Diadem Chateau back in Alpha 9. Since there was no system then for understanding how to make a lot of the construction “correctly” (most of it in various layers, not at once), the hearthlings used my stairs and placed ladders to navigate.

Actually, now that I think about it, the increasingly automatic scaffolding has hindered my ability to pull off some of these builds, since I often find myself waiting for unnecessary scaffolding to complete…

3 Likes

Yeah, they can, but they don’t always. As you say (and as I didn’t say that well) is that often there will be a perfectly walkable internal path and instead they’ll spend an extra week building scaffolding.

1 Like

my hearthing are doing a little better I think they gave up now they know I build big things… I was so happy when I saw this…

Thank you

1 Like

I find this very true, placing a simple window type thing in my rock home they built scaffolding outside up to the window slot all the while another hearthling went inside and plopped it in, took them a few minutes to remove the useless scaffolding, don’t understand why they bother with the scaffolding when access is easy from the inside

Why do they need scaffolding anyway? Just place one big ladder and build everything from the ground up (or from some levitating startpoint). If there are door/window related holes (or just super important design holes) fill them with scaffolding, build a bridge or place ladders right and left so you can maneuver around them. Especially for Rayya’s children all the scaffolding takes too much wood (building an early defense wall can ruin your wood economy, blocking all other building projects).
If scaffolding really is a must-have then let the hearthlings build more than one block high (they can do it with wall corners, right?) so they don’t have to run around, adjust the scaffolding and then return to building.

This might be changing. Yang has been looking into removing the wood requirement for ladders and scaffolding. They’ll still need to be placed, but will require no wood to do so speeding up building significantly, especially for clay and stone buildings.

Still seems to be an issue.

90% of the build time (before it broke) was scaffolding. Would be really useful if they would remain in place and build a section up multiple times instead of making a dozen horizontal passes for a long wall. The “scaffolding” build time was mostly wandering around Working stairs/ladders existed most of the time. Why was excessive scaffolding also used to build stairs?