How do monster spawn works?

So how do monster spawn work? i have a free standing wall around my settlement with a double door, but is kind of useless because monsters are spawning inside the wall but before i had it everything spawned in the forest so i dont get how this works can some one help me? do i have to use fences instead of a free standing wall?

Hi @hiram2! Welcome to the Discourse. :slight_smile:

Please check out this Desktop Tuesday. Does this help answer your question?

http://stonehearth.net/dt-enemy-placement/

Please let me know if anything is still confusing after checking that out.

2 Likes

So do free standing walls dont count towars this or i just have the wall to far from my buildings?

@Albert – I believe free-standing walls do count toward your monster spawning algorithm, correct?

This is just from experience, not from looking into the code, but if you have a perimeter well-established, then sometimes things will spawn in the center of your perimeter. For example, a few games I’ve played have been villages built around a lake; with stockpiles and walls up creating an impenetrable barrier to entry, sometimes townsfolk would spawn outside the village, but sometimes they would spawn right in the middle of the lake. I didn’t have monsters spawn in the lake, but that’s probably just luck of the draw.

Make a small breach in your walls so there’s a way to enter your town, and things should stop spawning inside your perimeter, and go back to spawning outside.

Can we get a screenshot of your town? They should not be spawning in a lake or inside walls unless your walls enclose a huge empty territory.

@megashub - Yes, walls count.

1 Like