Good luck Scotland

Good lord, what in the world have I missed on that side of the planet???

Whatā€™s bugging me now is that people canā€™t seem to accept the democratically voted opinion. There seems to be a large majority or at least very loud majority of Canadians who believe this vote was rigged, that Scotland was fear mongered into this decision, or some other ill gotten means were used to sway the vote. There seems to be some underlying disdain towards the UK which Iā€™ve never seen before, and I find it really bothersome. Iā€™m sure there is some meme out there which encapsulates my feelings and suggests I shouldnā€™t be surprised by Internet commentary or that found in social media but I canā€™t seem to help myself.

When the UK banned seal furs from Canada everyone came out in droves to basically said that our fur industry is internal and none of the outside worldā€™s business. Now that something is going on in the UK which is truly internal to them and should be respected everyone forgets the what the unnecessary noise that foreign opinions make. Iā€™m quite embarrassed of my fellow countrymen at the moment.

Assuming youā€™re Americanā€¦ imagine if New England (ie a big part of the original 13 Colonies) lost a vote to secede by 55% to 45%.

There was a fair bit of fear-mongering by the No campaign, but the worst tactics were from Salmondā€™s lot. Various not-so-veiled threats against anyone who spoke out (just ask JK Rowling how she was treated after coming out in favour of the Union) etc.

:frowning:

Itā€™s a storm in a teacup for Canada Iā€™m sure :slight_smile: .

Well, I couldnā€™t have thought of what good could come of it. I just wished them good luck, nothing more.But when you think of it, itā€™ll hurt them in the long run. Theyā€™ll have to adopt new laws, create an army, adopt a currency, etc. All of that stuff is hard.

1 Like

I suppose people have their right to opinions and their ā€œoutrageā€. I assume it will be a week or two until something shiny appears on the news and distracts them.

2 Likes

Well SURE, I get that. Iā€™m from the southeast, we attempted our own secession about 150 years ago, and youā€™d be amazed at the number of people who still wish we had succeeded (but I know Iā€™m donā€™t.) Iā€™m just still surprised that I didnā€™t know about this until the day it almost happened. I knew that there was talk of Scottish secession, and there has been for years. I just had no idea it was that close to happening. Plus you mentioned many other places at risk for secession, and I had no idea of any of those, although I canā€™t say Iā€™m all that surprised.

HA!

We understand. We all just want whatā€™s best for the people.

So what, a country should just give up sovereignty and the idea of self-governance because itā€™s too much bother? :confused:

Donā€™t be that embarrassed, if I didnā€™t have Scottish friends and read a lot of foreign news, I probably wouldnā€™t have heard about this either, the mainstream US news media has been virtually silent on the issue, even yesterday when it was all going on.

No, I just donā€™t want to see Scotland fall into trouble because of this.

Itā€™s true. The last thing anyone wants to see is for Scotland to finally gain independence only to have it fall out from under them. Not that I think that would happen, it would just be upsetting if it did.