Game stops saving at "Saving...."

Well, if you have permission to everything then it’s probably not that! :slight_smile: Just needed to check.

so its a game problem thats already popped up before? it sounds like its on my end because it happens every time, even after a fresh install… There must be some sort of connection between everyone who has this problem thats causing it right

1 Like

I’ve only seen one instance of something similar Saves keep corrupting! :: Stonehearth Bug Reports

except that robdev claims to be able to save sometimes. It could be a race condition and you could be incredibly unlucky; how much do you believe in statistics? :wink:

Edit: If you take all the steam files and copy them to a completely different place on your computer, and then run from the exe, not from Steam, does anything different happen? Just… going out on a limb, here.

1 Like

:frowning: Did nothing. I have noticed when I try saving the UI freezes up and the only way to do anything is to restart the UI using F5. Could this have anything to do with it?

1 Like

when I try saving the UI freezes up and the only way to do anything is to restart the UI using F5

Hmm… ok, enable debug tools in your user_settings file: “enable_debug_keys” : true

And then try saving by pressing F6. Press F7 to Load. Let’s see if removing the UI from the equation helps at all.

1 Like

I dont see that? I Opened it up and im not seeing that anywhere on mine, I see

{
“user_id” : “575d222a-08a7-11e4-9075-00007afb8d44”,
“collect_analytics” : true,
“alpha_welcome” : {
“hide” : true
},
“enable_auto_save” : true,
“renderer” : {
“run_once” : true,
“use_high_quality” : true,
“enable_ssao” : true,
“enable_shadows” : true,
“msaa_samples” : 1,
“shadow_quality” : 5,
“max_lights” : 250,
“enable_vsync” : true,
“enable_fullscreen” : true,
“screen_width” : 1916,
“screen_height” : 1018,
“draw_distance” : 1000,
“last_window_x” : -8,
“last_window_y” : -8,
“last_screen_x” : 8,
“last_screen_y” : 52
},
“audio” : {
“bgm_volume” : 1,
“efx_volume” : 1
},
“enable_64_bit” : true,
“enable_lua_jit” : true
}

2 Likes

Right, you have to add it manually. Put it under user_id, and make sure there’s a comma at the end of the line.

I can’t even tell if this does anything, I did exactly that and when I press F6 it freezes for a second kind of, the characters stop moving and everything sort of freezes in time, (not the client, I can still move my mouse and stuff) and then everything goes back to normal. But when I press F7, nothing happens. In the log the same thing happens, it says that it saved but it didnt.

1 Like

WHOA hold on, but now there is a temp save folder in Stonehearth and in the METADETA text document its saying that that file is a “F6 save” file. What?

1 Like

Okay restarted the game and Hit F7, still, nothing happens.

1 Like

Hm, thanks for giving it a try. The F6 save file is different from other saves, so it won’t show up in the UI. What does the log say when you try to load the F6 save with F7?

1 Like

I DUNNO MAN IM SO BURNT OUT OF TRYING TO GET IT WORK :cry: i give up

I have been playing this game all day (I have practically no life outside of games) and I have really enjoyed it.
I have - however - had to start multiple towns as when I have saved (both overwriting and autosaving) the save menu / text doesn’t dissapear. When I close the game and re-load it the save is gone from both the game and the game folder.
I haven’t been able to find a solution to this issue and have been wondering if this has occured to other players and whether there is a fix.
I really enjoy this game but this bug is really frustrating.

EDIT:
After posting this I started playing the game again. Now, the “Saving” text appeared to autosave on day 1 and the bug occured. I had previously thought that this bug happened after playing for a long period of time and nearer day 10 but I had only been playing for 10 minutes when this happened.

1 Like

hey there @KwakyDuk welcome to the discourse.

i just merged your thread with this one, as they are both of the same topic.

2 Likes

I think there is something triggering the saved_games folder to read only. Even when i disable the read-only and apply it, something turns it back on. That’s preventing me (and probably others too) from saving. Does someone know how to fix this? I love this game, but when I can’t save it’s annoying.

1 Like

So i just did overwrite on my old save and it just says saving and not going any were just wanted to tell this

So I have been reading these replies and such, and people are having similar problems. I am getting an issue where I select save, and the prompt, “Saving…” appears but disappears within in seconds. I messed with the .json file and I got the game to save once! But upon restarting the overwrite, and save feature didn’t work. I did post something on Steam but I don’t think it will be answered as easily as it would on here.

hey there @PudgeWiggle, i have seen this bug posted around the discourse, though the causewas never found :confused:

could you perhaps tell us a bit more of the details? were you using auto-saves? overwrites? fresh saves?

these could help narrow down the repro options and help TR find a fix.

1 Like

I know it sucks it’s not an easy solution or any at that matter. I am using fresh saves, and I would switch between both auto and manual. I select save, and the “Save” prompt appears but only for a second and disappears. Not leaving behind a save. There is a save folder, but there is no data in there.

1 Like

could you open up your game, and then upload your stonehearth.log file after this saving problem happens?

if your playing on steam the stonehearth.log will be located under this file path,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth

1 Like