Final Testing Pass For Stonehearth Alpha 5

It’s possible that we might eventually solve this sort of problem by pooling relevant UI screens, sort of like how the Place Item UI just issues commands for all your items, and to all workers. Another option is to denote level in the select-crafter UI screen that already exists.

Either way, no, we don’t want more micro.

4 Likes

Not much, unless it’s an issue of trying to find a particular crafter. However, going by what @sdee just said about merging UI screens, even that won’t be an issue:

1. Alice levels up to 10 and can now craft exquisite beds.
  2. You go to the crafting menu, pick carpentry, and order up 10 exquisite beds.
  3. The 10 exquisite beds are added to Alice’s job queue without your ever having to find Alice or her workbench.
1 Like

Lol, while we’re talking about crunchy things, if you are the sort of person who enjoys multiclassing your characters in games, what is your favorite system/game in which to do so?

P.S. If your answer is FF Tactics, and via de-leveling traps, no, do not expect to be able to do that in Stonehearth. Dad, this means you, if you’re reading this post.

4 Likes

On a completely different note…

ZOMG STONEHEARTH UPDATE ON STEAM!

Welcome to r144 everybody :smiley: !

6 Likes

w000000t, cant get it yet Q_Q Been spam-updating my humble bundle page all day xD

Guess it’s time to spam harder!

BAH!! Missed it while i was playing ping pong!

Edit: But yay!

GURPS for me… there is no limit to the number of “Classes” you can uh… multi class into, because classes don’t exist!

For example.

Nerdy professor that can use rocket launchers and has the innate ability to breathe fire. Yay!

1 Like

I’m guessing those of us who pleged the $15 are gonna have to wait till tomorrow? =/

I don’t think r144 is Alpha 5. I mean, it still says Alpha 4 on the loading screen etc, so this is probably an interim build to just make sure that the latest additions to A4 are in working order.

Ohh i c =/ Spose it’ll be tomorrow then, I was so damn excited there for a minute xD

Or… okay I’m blind, but I’m still going to blame @Tom for it.

Turns out the text on the main menu says Alpha 5, but the picture is still the Alpha 4 version (d’oh!). As @Tom usually does a new background for each major alpha release, that’s what got me :stuck_out_tongue: .

5 Likes

this will take some deep, insightful, introspective, soul-searching thought…

but that will have to come later… time to get the kids to practice!! :running:

1 Like

With regards to different levels of beds, etc., what I’d like to see is a progression in base types done entirely by available resources, rather than crafter level, and then allow for some kind of “critical” on a crafting, with higher level crafters having a larger critical chance when they build something.

For example, let’s say you have two Carpenters. Alice is level 1, and Bob is level 3, but they can all make Mean Beds, Comfy Beds, and Exquisite Beds. Let’s say Mean Beds only take wood, as they do now. Alice and Bob can both make a Mean Bed, but Alice has a 5% chance of producing a Mean Bed that is a little nicer to sleep in than a regular Mean Bed. Maybe it’s just as comfy as a Comfy bed, or maybe whoever sleeps in it feels a little happier to own it, improving their morale. It would also have a correspondingly higher value for town valuation. Now Bob can get a critical on his Mean Bed, too, but he’s got a 15% chance of building a superior Mean Bed, because he’s level 3.

Comfy Beds are made by both Alice and Bob, as well, but they take more advanced materials to build. Your town will need a Weaver that can produce the cloth needed. Similarly, leveling up Alice and Bob aren’t necessary for building an Exquisite Bed, which for the sake of argument let’s say it requires some gold produced by the Blacksmith class as well as some cloth from the Weaver. Both Alice and Bob can build an Exquisite Bed from level 1 on up, their available recipes never change as they level, but the town as a whole needs to advance in the tech tree before either of them can build it, and when they do build it, Bob’s higher level will increase the chance of producing a superior Exquisite Bed that gives a bonus to whoever sleeps in it.

That would eliminate the micro necessary for players to do, but it would allow for a player to do micro if they really want to, and increase their chance of critical success. Just as farming can be quite passive, without requiring the player to micro the farmland and ensure the soil quality is the best it can be, managing your crafters could be as well.

2 Likes

Not sure I’m sold on this idea. First, there’s the issue of how transparent/opaque the system is - put simply, you don’t want players to say “oh, I didn’t know that mean bed was extra comfy!” etc.

Now, I like the idea of making artefact/legendary-quality things*, which IMHO is a nice way for the levels to matter more, but I still think that having higher-level carpenters unlock new recipes adds a nice dynamic to the town, at least if you don’t have to go hunting high and low for said carpenters etc.

*Don’t forget that in DF, anyone can make an artefact when possessed by a mood.

I think locked recipes will either be entirely opaque, or force players to build things they don’t want to build in order to “grind” XP for their crafters. This doesn’t seem very sandboxy to me.

Remember, recipes are already “locked” by nature of the resource system. If you don’t yet have any cloth, you can’t build any Comfy Beds. This is very transparent to the player, and doesn’t require players to grind XP trying to unlock something. All they have to do is get their town’s economy and tech tree up and running, and they have a variety of ways of doing that. They might go straight for farming thread and train a Weaver. Or maybe they’ll trade and get cloth that way. It gives the player a lot more freedom. Is it really that fun for the player if they have to craft 20 chairs in order to unlock a better bed?

3 Likes

I’d like to see research come into it. It’d be very cool if every crafter could be instructed to research. They would tinker and use up resources, and figure out how to make better things. After all, if you’ve just been promoted to a carpenter by being handed a saw I’m sure you’re not going to be making wonderfully carved chairs without a few trials and errors!

It wouldn’t have to be a steep gameplay slope by any means, but it would mean you would have to have a base level of simple resources and amenities secured before the player might feel up to spending time and resources dedicated to discovering new items.

If the game is done well, you shouldn’t feel “oh I’ve got to make 20 chairs to level up” - not unless you plan badly, at least :stuck_out_tongue: . After all, there’ll be tables, doors, window frames, signs, lamps, fences… all of which will be useful for some time to come, and you can level up with them.

1 Like

Just making sure here, for those of us who pre-ordered via the $15 option are gonna have to wait till it’s made available on humble bundle before we can play right?

hey @Kaz … the public release should be available via both platforms… so, which ever you prefer!

you would have to get your Stonehearth Steam key through your Humble Bundle page (if you wanted to go the Steam route)… but either way, if you pledged $15, the public release should be available from both platforms… :+1:

1 Like

@SteveAdamo Thanks for the reply, however I cant seem to download it yet thru the humble bundle page, wich I’d need to get first to get the code for the steam version amirite?