Feedback on Combat

can we see a picture Please @nischu as your the first person to have walls

well i dont have that game left anymore as i reached an impass of no workers and only dead footmen, but i can build walls in my current gameā€¦ just gimme a wee bit of time

1 Like

god you got massacred. Those goblins are so clever.

1 Like

theres a small wall and a house being built, even got a footman to join my ranks

the trapper is a bust though, the ā€œmoveā€ button nearly crashes the game

1 Like

@Gridnick, thereā€™s walls of a sort in the video shared by @deakon in this post :slight_smile:

Waitā€¦ you have goblins around, so you must be in Alpha 4ā€¦ but you have a trapper? How does that work?

I didnā€™t know that if your footman was attacking a goblin near your base, all the workers run in and hack away at the goblin with their axes like an angry mob, is this going to stay in the game or is this just a test??

1 Like

they can appear in a caravan or as a gift.

1 Like

@Froggy - I believe Radiant are planning a fairly sophisticated control system for soldiers etc eventually (patrols, waypoints, maybe even shifts etc), so I wouldnā€™t worry too much ATM.

As for combat in Alpha 4ā€¦ I think it can be summed up for me as ā€œnot enough informationā€. I know HP etc are meant to be hidden, but some info on how the fight is going would be nice (eg DF-style injury tracking etc). Maybe some animations could also have more force behind them, to show when you are beating the daylights out of your opponent etc. It needs to feel less like watching a couple of NPCs doing their animations whilst you just hope your guy is up to the job (because youā€™ve no way of telling).

2 Likes

I got trader that swapped me some wood for 3 trapper knives. If you see that donā€™t do it unless you want to reload :wink:

Goblins. Higher elevations donā€™t seem to have any at all. Lower elevations I canā€™t get walls up fast enough nor do I enough people to promote to footmen as Iā€™ve seen as many as 30 goblins come in and clean me out.

1 Like

btw how do you get trapper knives now?

by trading with the merchant, but atm in the alpha 4 the trapper is not useful as you cannot move the trapperā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, everyone, and keep it coming! :slight_smile:

As youā€™ve discovered, our combat pacing right now is really lopsided. Hearing how you think about combat, how and when you promote footmen, and how you place and design your towns, is really helpful to us as we discuss how to make it feel organic in the largest number of circumstances.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve tended to create just the one footman quite early on personally:

1. Between Alpha 3 & Alpha 4, I got an extra settlerā€¦ and an extra profession. So no problem there.

2. The sooner I have some kind of defences the better. Especially as goblins seem to appear fairly early.

3. There arenā€™t many other options anyway :stuck_out_tongue: .

The real test IMHO will be when we have our carpenter and now have to choose between farmer, weaver, mason, soldier, trapper, and any other professions out of our first half-dozen settlers. Personally, Iā€™d recommend goblins not appearing until youā€™ve closer to a dozen settlers, because it gives you time to get the most basic stuff under control without worrying about thieves making you starve to death :wink: .

1 Like

Right now my two little footman are surrounded by a horde of about 10-12 goblinsā€¦ so far they donā€™t seem to threatening, but I can imagine my poor little settlement is in some serious trouble.

• Yes iā€™ve had combat, at one point it was 7 villagers vs. 1 goblin. At another it was 5 goblins vs 1 footmanā€¦ poor fella.

• The goblins felt like goblins. Not powerful by themselves, but a horde can overwhelm. Proper gobbos.

• I had no idea my footman died and could not find his headstone (if he had one), so some ā€œReportā€ button for combat would be great so we can at least read about what action went down if we were busy doing other stuff when the fight happened.

Otherwise, I loveā€¦ love LOVE the fact that your little footman just starts patrolling around. It adds a very awesome feel to the game.

6 Likes

absolutely secondedā€¦ its nice that they are intuitive enough to patrol those areas of ā€œhigh valueā€ā€¦ it was very enjoyable just watching her diligently circle my stockpilesā€¦ :smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always thought ā€œpatrolā€ was a very cute verb, anyway. Mostly semantically, but I guess phonetically a bit as well. Stonehearth does nothing to dissuade me from that.

15 in-game days (donā€™t ask why i havenā€™t crashed or broke it yet, as I donā€™t know) and still no goblins, though I did notice the soldier will sometimes move stuff into the stockpile after he does his ā€˜six-steps-and-lookā€™.

1 Like

If the service that spawns goblins canā€™t find a suitable place to put them, it wonā€™t spawn them. Things that affect this are:

• amount of your explored area. Goblins currently spawn just outside your explored region
  • terrain level: goblins donā€™t have ladders/stairs yet either, so they must spawn on the same level as you
  • distance from target wood: right now goblins only want wood, and they can only see so far, so if your wood is really far from them, they wonā€™t find it.

All these factors are temporary: stairs, knowledge-passing, etc, should eventually come along to make the goblins smarter. But if you started a settement on a small strip of land and explored all around it, this might be why youā€™re not seeing anyone. Post a pic, if you can!

1 Like

wellā€¦ i guess I am on a type of land shelfā€¦ but thereā€™s still lots of space and un-explored land.

1 Like

I like the combat so far!!! The only thing I found that was buggy is when one of my guy dies in battle, it says he is still fighting the goblin, but in reality he is dead. Also will we get tomb stones for our villagers when they get killed my monsters? I know they pop up when they die of hunger. Great work though, loving the alpha 4

1 Like