[Engineer] Machinery for Watermanipulation

Hello. I dont know how often this has been talked about, but now that we have flowing Water, some kind of “Manipulationmachine” for the water would be sweet. Basicly something that can block flow of Water into a direction?

As in, you could build a fort that is accessible by land, but the outer parts could be flooded.