Engine error about scaffolding A19 & A20

release-687 (x64)
…hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:785: attempt to index field ‘_owning_scaffolding’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:237: in function 'report_traceback’
radiant/modules/common.lua:248: in function <radiant/modules/common.lua:242>
…hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:785: in function 'instance’
radiant/modules/events.lua:291: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:285>
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/events.lua:285: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:251>
[C]: in function 'destroy_entity’
radiant/modules/entities.lua:82: in function 'destroy_entity’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:143: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:124>
[C]: in function 'destroy’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_manager.lua:71: in function '_destroy_builder’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:456: in function '_check_if_valid’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:326: in function '_update_build_mode’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:115: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:114>

Another similar issue when destroying another stuck Blacksmith House. Slightly different error text.

release-687 (x64)
…hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:785: attempt to index field ‘_owning_scaffolding’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
…hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:785: in function 'instance’

Summary: Error Pops Up When Ladder Is Left Floating In Air After Destroying a Building

Steps to reproduce:

1. Destroy Building
  2. Ladder is Left over from Building for Some Reason

Expected Results: No error and no floating ladder

Actual Results: Error and floating ladder

Notes: Error and floating ladder

Attachments:

release-687 (x64)
stack traceback:
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:143: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:124>
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_manager.lua:71: in function '_destroy_builder’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:456: in function '_check_if_valid’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:326: in function '_update_build_mode’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:115: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:114>

Version Number and Mods in use:
Alpha 19 release 687 x64; radiant and stonehearth

System Information: x64 Processor, GTX 1060, 16 GB of RAM

same error

release-701 (x64)
stack traceback: radiant/modules/common.lua:237: in function ‘report_traceback’ radiant/modules/common.lua:248: in function <radiant/modules/common.lua:242> …hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:785: in function ‘instance’ radiant/modules/events.lua:291: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:285> [C]: in function ‘xpcall’ radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function ‘xpcall’ radiant/modules/events.lua:285: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:251> [C]: in function ‘destroy_entity’ radiant/modules/entities.lua:83: in function ‘destroy_entity’ stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:143: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:124> [C]: in function ‘destroy’ stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_manager.lua:71: in function ‘_destroy_builder’ stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:456: in function ‘_check_if_valid’ stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:326: in function ‘_update_build_mode’ stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:115: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:114>

From http://radiant/stonehearth/ui/root/index.html?current_screen=game_screen

I got something similar:

release-699 (x64)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/entities.lua:83: in function 'destroy_entity’

1 Like

hum
did your Hearthlings start building the house or was it you setting up something to build?

and welcome to the discourse @Allichi

The first time I built one of these, it was built completely the first time. However, in building a second (and now a third), I have encountered repeated problems. Building will suddenly stop after the main shell of the building has been built. The decoration doesn’t get added and the scaffolding remains up. No amount of pausing/restarting the build gets the Hearthlings motivated in finishing the build. If I give up and remove the building, I get the following error:

release-701 (x64)
stack traceback:

Repeated attempts will eventually end up in a successful build but only after I’ve given up, removed said building and built anew a few times. Keeps the Hearthlings busy I guess :smiley:

Are you trying to build it in the same spot each time, and if so is there anything that would either block or be unaccessible to the hearthlings to make them unable to get to every part of the scaffolding?

Yes, always in the same spot. I’m pretty sure everything is accessible to the hearthlings, confirmed that after 1 or 2 retries, the building will eventually be finished. Building always stops (if it’s going to stop) when only the 5 lanterns, the door and the sign are remaining to be placed. It looks, to me, like the hearthlings are blocked by the very scaffold they put up and have forgotten to bring down. Maybe it’s an “order of events” thing and once every 2 or 3 builds, things are done in the correct order. Difficult to quantify that though :slight_smile:

the order of events in building are as follows, 1, floor, 2, walls, 3 roof, 4 remove scaffolding, 5, place interior items. it sounds like your hearthlings have a piece of scaffolding they cannot reach for some reason. I personally find that constructing the building in parts generally solves way more problem for me and allows me to see the issues in each step of the process.

Are you building the standart blueprint or do you add interior befor you give the order to build?
If so:

• Do you place some chest in the litle 2x4 area next to the stairs and the support of the roof? (it’s a nice spot for chest)
  • Are there trees/buildungs close by where ladders get build on? (pesonal experience :sweat: can lead to floating ladders)
  • If thats not the case look for interior that overlabs (lantern over a table) or have you placed an item inside the wall (happens to me a lot)?

If non of the above is true try to check if there are any ladders build inside a wall (i encounterd that once).
And my last gues would be flowerpots between the roof and the 3 windows on the front side.

These are the errors that i encounterd peronaly when building the blueprint together with interior the plain blueprint should build without dificulty so try building the house first and when it is finished add the interior if the same error shows up … well lets hope not. :smile:

The building is from the standard, supplied Town Templates. I haven’t tweaked it at all, it’s just as supplied with no interior stuff (the only dressings are lamps around the outside and a door, as the template comes). There’s nothing nearby (except for a successful build of the same blueprint, with 5 squares separating the builds. As I mentioned, after a couple or so “failures” that I have to “remove”, eventually I will get a successful build, in the exact same spot :slight_smile:

Summary:

Steps to reproduce:

1. Built a building and shortly after I got the error I don’t really think there is a certain order that produces this error it seems kinda random but I got the engine crash report

Expected Results: Scaffold wouldn’t build or auto destroy

Actual Results: Scaffold wouldn’t auto destroy

Notes:

Attachments:

System Information: release-701 (x64)
stack traceback:

I found the bug or at lest the when it happens.
The Blacksmith can get buged when the front is facing south! The other 3 directions are just fine.
At least that is the result of my building test.

Savegame:

Dev-Info
Ladders are build inside the wall under the 3 windows on the front side of the building.
In some cases the ladder under the left window (front view), where the “bench” inside the hous is build remains inside the wall when the building is finished. (The bench is blocking the acces to this ladder!)

3 Likes

Had built a small structure to help clear something quickly then this popped up when I removed the structure.

release-707 (x64)
…hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:791: attempt to index field ‘_owning_scaffolding’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:245: in function 'report_traceback’
radiant/modules/common.lua:256: in function <radiant/modules/common.lua:250>
…hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:791: in function 'instance’
radiant/modules/common.lua:265: in function 'xpcall’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:142: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:123>
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:455: in function '_check_if_valid’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:325: in function '_update_build_mode’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:114: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:113>

I was trying to make some crappy bridge to just go over to an island and set it up for a real bridge elsewhere but I had no supports so the hearthlings weren’t finishing it, when I tried to delete it an engine error came up and the bridge was in an infinite collapsing loop.

Steps to reproduce:

1. build obnoxiously long foundation with no support
  2. delete the structure after construction halted by workers
  3. profit?

release-707 (x64)
…hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:791: attempt to index field ‘_owning_scaffolding’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
…hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:791: in function 'instance’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:142: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:123>
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:455: in function '_check_if_valid’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:325: in function '_update_build_mode’
stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:114: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:113>

This looks similar to a bug I reported quite a while back. In my case there were no supports either, and the way the build engine is right now you don’t really need them. What stopped construction on mine was an error in the scaffolding system. If you are building a bridge over water and the water changes depth in the middle of a scaffold section that section cannot be completed, so your hearthlings stop work waiting for it to be completed despite the fact that it can’t be. If you use the console command for instant building you can still salvage your work.

1 Like

**Summary:Went to build a Pottery Studio and they finished building but under the “tent” they can’t place the Potter’s Kiln because the scaffolding is still there cause a engine error. **

Steps to reproduce:

1. Build a Pottery Studio have it stay incomplete because it can’t finish.

release-687 (x64)
stack traceback:
release-687 (x64)
No matching overload found, candidates: void __sub(lua_State*,Point3 const&,Point3 const&)
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
…tonehearth/call_handlers/place_item_call_handler.lua:97: in function <…tonehearth/call_handlers/place_item_call_handler.lua:88>
release-687 (x64)
c++ exception: lua runtime error
stack traceback:

Summary:
I got the following error when creating a building:

release-737 (x64)
stack traceback: radiant/modules/common.lua:245: in function ‘report_traceback’ radiant/modules/common.lua:256: in function <radiant/modules/common.lua:250> …hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:791: in function ‘instance’ radiant/modules/events.lua:291: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:285> [C]: in function ‘xpcall’ radiant/modules/common.lua:265: in function ‘xpcall’ radiant/modules/events.lua:285: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:251> [C]: in function ‘destroy_entity’ radiant/modules/entities.lua:83: in function ‘destroy_entity’ stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:142: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:123> [C]: in function ‘destroy’ stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_manager.lua:71: in function ‘_destroy_builder’ stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:468: in function ‘_check_if_valid’ stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:325: in function ‘_update_build_mode’ stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:114: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/ladder_builder.lua:113>

This does not happen reliably, and I can’t reproduce it at this time.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Place multiple buildings to be built
  2. Wait for error

Expected Results:
Building built without error

Actual Results:
Rare engine error pop-up

Notes:
This has only happened once so far. Will update if I can get steps to repro 100%

Attachments:
Error log in summary

release-737 (x64)

System Information:
PC, Win 10, laptop

1 Like

Hi,

I have 2 errors after launch my save :

release-763 (x64)
…hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:501: attempt to index field ‘_owning_scaffolding’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
…hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:501: in function 'fn’
radiant/modules/events.lua:288: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:285>
radiant/modules/events.lua:285: in function 'trigger’
radiant/modules/events.lua:370: in function '_fire_async_triggers’
radiant/modules/events.lua:445: in function '_update’
radiant/server.lua:61: in function <radiant/server.lua:58>

and

release-763 (x64)
stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:471: assertion failed!
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'assert’
stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:471: in function ‘can_start_blueprint’
…earth/components/fabricator/fabricator_component.lua:904: in function ‘_start_project’
…earth/components/fabricator/fabricator_component.lua:585: in function ‘_updates_state’
…earth/components/fabricator/fabricator_component.lua:574: in function 'obj’
radiant/modules/events.lua:83: in function 'instance’
radiant/modules/events.lua:285: in function 'trigger’
radiant/modules/events.lua:398: in function '_trigger_gameloop’
radiant/modules/events.lua:446: in function '_update’
radiant/server.lua:61: in function <radiant/server.lua:58>

I don’t know this 2 errors .