Did you know you can build something in the game and export it as *.qb? No need to external model softwares!

EDIT: This does not work anymore :frowning:

That’s right!
Using the debug tools, you can shift+click in a building and chose the option Dump to .QB

That will create an *.qb file at the game folder. The name of the file will be the same name of the building. The screen below (from my game folder) shows the build named lala got exported as lala.qb, while the building shown in the previous screenshot had no name, so it got its number, as 1.qb

And here the file imported into MagicaVoxel (one of many model editors you can use)

Notice that only blocks are imported, the items all all ignored.

14 Likes

So basicly we can now make tiny models of our buildings? i need to try this! thank you for sharing this Bruno :merry:

4 Likes

You know, a class (like a toy maker) who’s only purpose is creating mini toy houses, so you can play a city builder game where your citizens play with city building toys! :triumph:

8 Likes

This is Awesome! :grinning:
Now I can extract my buildings and export them to .OBJ in Qubicle for use in 3D-renders :smiley:

1 Like

how would you do this now that you can’t shift+click on buildings anymore?

There’s a console comand (CTRL+C) for it - I just can’t remember right now – but I think that if you type “help” in the console it might be there

I saw one say: dump_building - Dumps the selected building to a qubicle file.

but I didn’t see a file in my folder afterwards. do I have to type true after it or something?

Yea nothing anymore. I guess this is no longer a thing?

Dawwww D: That’s a shame!

Is this not possible at all? I wanted to export my stonehearth creations into a voxel editor :frowning:

I don’t think it is, this was one the old builder, i guess the new code is not usable in this

I expect the functionality to dump a region into a QB file is still in the engine. Someone would just need to hook it up to extract the new building system’s region. Perhaps something that ACE could do? @DaniAngione

1 Like

Indeed, it wasn’t too hard to implement. I did it in a bit of an awkward way (accessing the building status UI view to grab the current building entity reference) so I’ll probably be tweaking it a bit before committing it to unstable (probably I’ll call a client command and not pass the entity in from the UI, and the client call handler can call the client building service to check what the selected building is, then call a server function to do the dumping on that building entity).

3 Likes

Paul did an awesome job (as usual) and it’s now on the unstable version of ACE if anyone wants to try it out :smiley:

2 Likes

Wait so with unstable we should be able to do this again? Is it the same command?