[Dev Blog] Livestream 5/27 - Ask questions here!

http://stonehearth.net/2014/05/22/heads-up-desktop-tuesday-stream-edition-next-tuesday-527-400-pm-u-s-pacific/

archive from tonight’s stream… enjoy! :smile:

Questions and Answers From Stream

When do you plan to start working on equipment for Villagers? In a month, maybe. Combat units at the start.
When will be able to create additional settlers/villagers? Working on it now.
What are your plans concerning the water? for example could we have a fisherman or could we make boats? Simulation is tough. Want to add basics like pressure.
Could we add doors and windows in the next alpha? Tom: Maybe not in the next alpha. Tony in chat: I see doors on my screen. Ladders are coming soon.
How will NPC Villages Grow? Full simulation is a lot of work. Prebuilt villages that grow over time are a likely option.
Is there a chance the Kickstarer funds will run out before the game is finished? That’s always a risk. We have backup plans, money is not a problem for us.

@RepeatPan: Is it true that your backup plan is to sell the stonehearth engine to EA for the next Sims installment? Tom: . . . . . .

How are floors in buidlings initially going to work, and will they be in Alpha 4? Yes they will be in Alpha 4. -goes on long tangent and shows the current build; Floors will be above the ground.
Will you be able to change the Material of a building after it is built? Yes. Initially, no.
Are you able to deconstruct a building? Yes
Are you able to deconstruct a weapon? I don’t know. Kinda interesting but not really.
The new cut-away walls system looks great. How will it work with multiple storey buildings? You’ll be able to choose which floor to view
Will the system for underground viewing be similar? Yes and no. It wont be just simple Z axis.
How will injuries work? We want you to not think about HP Bars. . People fight and they get cuts and bruises that heal overtime or a broken leg that requires a trip to the “hospital” First cut at combat will be a HP system at first.
Will be have virtual stockpiles and such like carts? In the far future yes. Stockpiles in stockpiles and such
What will you do after combat building and ui? *After combat and building? More combat and building. More furniture, building options, scenarios. . . . *
When will we see the first Titan? Three to six months? Once combat is flushed out more and we add triggers. Want titans based on things such as sickness, or cutting to many trees.
Caravans? In the next few Alphas. Will be simple at first
Are you removing manual trapper? Yes we are
Will there be a manual control over specific units, such as telling one villager to cut down a tree? Probably not. To micromanagy. Might give you access to set priorities. Ex: Building before harvesting
Will goblins drop loot? We thought about it a lot. Makes the game complicated and not something we want to tackle yet. What will be on the goblin? Gold? What would it be used for now? Revisit it once the game is fleshed out more
Will I be able to find items and such in the mine? Relics and such? Yes, fits well into the vision of the game.
Will be be able to control your military units Not directly. Footmen already patrol your village. You’ll be able to set patrol paths and defend zones. You’ll be able to defend your town using static defenses and these troop options. Aka elaborate tower defense game but much more complex
Will I eventually be able to ally with the goblin tribes? Will I be able to hire them as mercenaries Possibly? Diplomacy is complex and expensive to develop. Hiring goblin mercenaries would be fairly easy to make a scenario about.
Will goblins be a playable race in the future? Possibly after dwarfs.
Will you be hiring in 10 years? Send me your application in 10 years. :wink:

Questions and Answers brought to you by @Avarian: Yes I want credit for this hard work. xD

8 Likes

nice! :smiley:

let’s just use this thread to field questions (like we did last time)… :+1:

:point_right: time & date

some other helpful conversions:

Oslo (Norway) = 01:00 AM
Berlin (Germany) = 01:00 AM
Amsterdam (Netherlands) = 01:00 AM
Sydney (Australia) = 9:00 AM Wednesday
Paris (France) = 01:00 AM
Moscow (Russia) = 03:00 AM
London (England) = 00:00 AM

ill have to watch this after the actually live stream :frowning:

1 Like

How are floors in buidlings initially going to work, and will they be in Alpha 4? Do floor “blocks” replace the ground (either physically or texturally), or does it cover grass/dirt/rock as a separate entity? Will the player have control over where floors are put down and what material they are made out of?

This brings up my other question: Will the stonemason job be introduced in Alpha 4, and will we be able to make stone floors/roads for more design diversity?

4 Likes

----SKIP THIS

You’re not alone! :wink:
(Sorry for my absence lately, I’ve been doing some exams and some other important things…
Good luck to those who are doing finals these weeks!!)

2 Likes

Will you be able to change the Material of a building after it is built? Currently buildings are made out of Wood, there will be different materials available soon enough, but I want to know if you make a building out of wood with wood walls & floors, could you change said floors/walls into a different material after it is built? (E.G. Stone, Iron, Etc.)

3 Likes

**Are you able to deconstruct a

• a building (reuse some of the Wood and Stone etc, and to have a green field for a new construction site)
  • a weapon (melt the iron and reuse)
    ?**
3 Likes

Snaaap!

I’ve not had much experience with watching livestreams afterwards ( probably the whole live thing) embarassed how do you do it again!

The new cut-away walls system looks great. How will it work with multiple storey buildings? When (if at all) would it cut away floors too? I can see building large rooms stacked up a problem for this…

I know it’s still a long way off, but will the system for underground viewing be similar?

3 Likes

QUESTION: to what extent will injuries play a part in combat?

no worries… just head to Radiant’s main page on Twitch, and click the “videos” button on the top right… you’ll have access to all previously recorded streams…

How will we measure the Health of our Buildings and Citizens, and can we do to regain their Health? For measuring, would there be a Health Bar, or would there be something else, and for regaining health, would we have to repair the Buildings, or for Settlers, do we have to give them Medicine or Food?

1 Like

I know I’ve already done my ‘turn’, but this is something else I’m curious about:

When do you plan to start working on equipment for Villagers? Armor, Amulets, and other items of this nature.

1 Like

When will be able to create additional settlers/villagers?

I need to grow my empire.

2 Likes

How did Stonehearth get its name?

2 Likes

the stone hearth that is the fire at night silly they planned that from the beginning probably

Hello I ask some questions concerning the building system and combat.
For the building,
What are your plans concerning the water? for example could we have a fisherman or could we make boats?
Could we add doors and windows in the next alpha?
In the building editor, will we have different type of walls (like for towers or fortress) and roofs?

For the combat,
What are the parts of the fighter’s stuff? (head, arms, legs…)
Could we manage the skills of our fighters?

just a couple of responses, from information found in @Geoffers747’s Q&A thread:

What about interior rooms? Will we able to decorate or create interior rooms for the larger buildings we have?

Yes, absolutely, you’re gonna be able to furnish your rooms with furniture … those will have gameplay consequences, there will be decorative things like standards etc. that you can decorate the interior of your buildings with.

Can you customise the appearance of buildings as well? 2

Yes … eventually you’ll be able to choose the materials for the floor, the walls, you’ll be able to choose different patterns for the roof. And then you’ll be able to paint your walls through crafting, so lots of customisation.

For combat units, where you do exert more control, we will have the pathing options you would expect in an RTS: waypoints, patrol, etc.

Hey! I’m so sad I’m going to miss this live stream… damn work >:(
My question is **Are you still considering designating buildings? ** I know you guys have talked about it in the past, but I was wondering if you are still thinking about going through with it. I would like to make some buildings that only guards or workers can go to. ooh ooh also **will the villagers have their own set homes, or will they just go into anyone’s house and sleep when tired? **
Thanks for you’re time, keep up the great work :smiley:

1 Like