Dessert too colorful?

I don’t know how I feel about the colorful tumbleweed, guys :glum: It’s too desperately colorful… looks out of place.

1 Like

4 Likes

Rainbow dessert indeed.

1 Like

Well, the amount of vegetation itself in the SH desert makes it feel more like an “arid shrubland” or “steppe” terrain rather than a sandy desert full of dunes.

So I guess that it fits (at least for me) since these shrublands or arid areas can be colorful on spring…
But were it supposed to be a proper desert, than not only the colors but most of the vegetation should go :merry:
So I guess I’ll leave the desertey desert for a mod :smiley:

2 Likes

Before they die tumble weeds are quite something.

6 Likes

I agree that’s really pretty! Are there blue one’s though :thinking: I think three colors, which are all so different, make it look like a circus…

4 Likes

I have seen yellow, not sure about blue. Though this is sort of a fantasy desert. I think it breaks up the drabness nicely, feels like spring.

3 Likes

Tends to be a rare, but deserts experience super blooms that are truly spectacular.

Personally think the blue should’ve been purple as that’s a more common color for blooms there, but I just consider it an interpretation and I’m fine with it. I mean decoration wise we don’t really have any purple stuff so the blue is more fitting I guess. I was just so happy to see they captured the feeling of that amazing moment.

2 Likes

I guess I’ve learned how to make overrides today :jubilant:

5 Likes

This is a common problem in graphics design. Blue flowers are rare because there are almost no blue pigments stable in neutral-acidic environment of plant cells. Here’s a list of the most common blue flower plants: 40+ Types of Blue Flowers with Pictures | FlowerGlossary.com

All of these plants fall into one of these categories:

• small, grow in the shadow at the very bottom of a temperate forest,
  • taller, grow in a cold, swampy environment,
  • tiny, grow on rocks in high mountains,
  • grow in temperate climate on very salty ground.

As one can see there are almost no tropical plants with blue flowers, I can name no cacti nor other desert plants with blue flowers because there may not be any. Blue attracts pollinating insects which are not that common in the middle of a desert and maintaining blue pigments is costly for a plant so it is simply not worth the energy there.

I’d rather see orange, purple or one of the colours called ‘cream yellow’ (Google Graphics gives a whole spectrum of them and they are really nice to the eye) used for the flowers.

5 Likes

True, true… I’ve read an article on that not so long ago. A lot of flowers “use cheats” to fake blue sheen in their petals (though not visible to humans), but, as you’ve pointed out, don’t actually produce blue pigment if not under very special circumstances.

2 Likes

There are so many wonderful yet overlooked colours. Like:

pale pink, greenish white:

salmon pink/orange:

cream yellow:

(I tried making a gallery but failed…)

2 Likes

I LOVE the light pinks and brittle whites one! :heart_eyes: So delicate and precious…

You know, my favorite flower is not among those… And is a desert plant that does bloom a blue flower, albeit a light blue in hue & has white varieties as well.
Chicory

Grows in the southwestern part of the USA, or drier places, but yes shade helps, but it is similar to aloe, as is a medicinal type of plant. Or can be used as such.

And spot on that there are very very few desert plants the bloom blue flowers. Just figured I would point at least one out that I have seen in my own eyes in the past.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Another one is sage, which has desert varieties that bloom in blueish purple. It also looks remarkably like the SH tumbleweeds shape-wise.

3 Likes

Then the problem changes to what we call a desert. For me this:

is not a desert, it is a scrub. This picture was taken in Sonora where one can find plants with blue flowers, like:
Ceanothus leucodermis (Chaparral whitethorn)
Psorothamnus schottii (Indigo bush)
Phacelia campanularia (Desert bluebell, which in fact is not a bluebell)

Scutellaria mexicana (Mexican bladder sage) has purple flowers and it definitely isn’t a desert plant.

So if we redefine desert to scrub then we can have blue flowers. Now, botany aside: I find them looking way too odd. A trio of yellowish white, orange and pale pink flowers would seem more comforting (and more spring-like, these blue ones look somewhat sad).

3 Likes