Desktop Tuesday: Re-Embarkation

sophisticated voice “You must understand, young man, that the sheep makes the Ogo.”
The ogo’s get the sheep when they ceremonically become ogo’s, obviously. ( : P Knows this is not obvious and just an idea)

Edit: you can have the sheep have a different nickname every time, and generate it from a list of names. After all, the first act of an ogo is to name his trusty sheep.

4 Likes

I think the re-embarkation is a neat idea, especially if it can be done in a fully-fleshed-out map/interaction/story way like @megashub suggested. I do think that there should additionally be a way (e.g., some extra quests) to achieve all the town bonuses/recipes/etc. in a single play-through so it doesn’t feel like you have to “throw away” your progress in order to actually “complete” the game.

However, I’m not really worried about it, and I don’t understand all the doom and gloom here, because all of this is mod-able. As long as they resolve critical performance issues (which they’re currently working on) and provide a holistic API and modding guide (i.e., not just minor adjustments to existing systems via json and voxel modeling, but showing us how to use lua and js to overhaul or create new systems), all of these options can exist.

And even once the game hits 1.0, I can’t imagine that all of the developers will walk away and never make anything for it again. Even if official support of the game immediately completely disappears and the studio stops releasing content (which seems unlikely to me), these people have been developing the game they wanted to play for years, and they all have somewhat different versions of that game in mind but have had to compromise on a shared vision for a basic “complete” product. Once that’s done, why wouldn’t they want to realize other parts of their dream game that they didn’t have the time or consensus to achieve in the push to make 1.0?

And even if they all disappear… and every modder and other enthusiastic player and community member somehow also disappear (which I can only imagine happening if an actually fully better game of a similar type is released, at which point, there you go)… if the modding API and essential guides exist, any one of us can make the game into what we want it to be, which is a lot more than can be said of most games.

And we know that more content for the game is coming. They’re still planning on making the Northern Alliance, the geomancer, the magmasmith, and titans. Plus they’re doing performance improvements. With how development for the game has progressed over the years, it’s just nonsensical to assume that no adjustments to other existing systems or additions will happen while they’re focusing on those tasks. The core systems and gameplay loops may have been “finished,” but most of the things people complain about not being included are just extra content that can easily be added in, some of which is explicitly planned.

10 Likes

Thank you for putting this more elegantly than I could have. Haha. I agree with everything you said.

Still learning to.
I try to shoo the bad thoughts and stop mentally burying the game. The only consolation I currently have is, the road was truly fun. And this sense of community along the way… yeah.

2 Likes

I would like to throw my two cents into the ring here and come out in agreement with @paulthegreat. While I would personally be disappointed should the end of the game be straight after tier three, I do not believe the devs plan to simply abandon the game on launch and they can therefore have the scope in the future to release more late game content. Additionally, I highly doubt the modding scene will immediately vanish either which adds another avenue for keeping the late game interesting. My suggestion, as potentially controvesial as it is, is to work to even further improve the power available through mods and potentially set up a better way of highlighting or officially approving mods. One of the strongest things about this game has always been the devs and their openess with community, and I think should that continue the game can continue growing through a supported modding scene and future post launch developer updates.

4 Likes

You’ve also spent a lot of time here building up a good reputation for listening and responding in ways that are well thought out passionate and make it seems like you truly do care for the game instead of poo-poo’ing it just because you don’t agree or it doesn’t fit exactly what you wanted. This is greatly appreciated and taken into account when you do have thoughts counter to the current gameplay.

Keep being you, i appreciate your thoughts. :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ll give you that.

8th line down.

And here:

Now all that shown, dragons I’m not worried about. And short of PVP shown here, we can argue another time (again) about all the things said on Kickstarter and talked about during last year’s dry spell. My point is that (to me and I’m sure others), we were told of this grand game that’s been working on for 5 years now, and is basically reverting to less than it was advetised as. I’ll digress from that, as I’ve already tried to open that arguement and it never goes anywhere.

And I totally agree. At the same time, an open vague statement of “We’ve reached the end of our contract and thus have to wrap things up” would mean more than us wondering why the direction is taking a nose dive.

And I will agree with this. At the same time, I feel that Stonehearth has “ran it’s course” with RIOT and they’re telling Radiant to wrap it up. Again, just my opinion. Where I’m greatful they helped extend the life of this game beyond what it would have been, I’m also irritated that it could have been so much more with the resources they’ve boasted having access to. Without writing a book about every part, that’s the best way top short hand how I feel.

Aside from scrapping a chunk of the Kickstarter list, I’m not DIRECTLY seeing any “screw the fans” updates. At the same time, I’m not seeing any “let’s support the fans” either more than “if you want it, mod it in”.

@sdee

Several updates ago, when we had likes and dislikes and moods added to the Hearthlings, it was to make them feel more personal and for us to connect better with them. Yet now, we get a feature that does the exact opposite of that?

No different than the town progression quest we’ve had for how long now? And how it makes you think there’s a new notification.

So you’re ok with the developers pushing the game onto the modders to finish? I don’t mean this an any offense, but when this happens with a game, it turns into making the player choose what they do and don’t want in the game, as the mods aren’t compatible with each other. Then in the end, a large portion of the players are unhappy with the game as they want this but can’t have it because they HAVE to have something they don’t want or care about from another mod that added the first item.

IMO, this kills a game faster than the devs supporting it longer. My experience with this, is from years of Freelancer and the early days of Minecraft.

2 Likes

I like this list because it shows how close Radiant did come.

• Mammoths we’ve seen.
    • Rabbit Clan we just saw.
    • Glacier Biome comes with Northern Alliance.
    • Mac & Linux has been said multiple times it’s coming.
    • Animal Trainer has been mentioned recently (Though i’m iffy on whether this is coming)
    • Magma Smith has also been talked about
    • Dragon Whelps were in Malley’s stream(apparently they are on unstable!)
    • PvP - Narp. Lost that one. Doesn’t affect me, but it’s still sad.
    • Geomancer - Discussed multiple times
    • Hostile Factions: Elementals - I’m guessing this is the entlings and rocks? But not really fleshed out.
    • Engineer - Yup, but needs a lot of work.
    • Seasons - Maybe? There’s weather. But I don’t see seasons really coming in full.
    • Co-op Multiplayer - Yep, works pretty good so far.
    • Festivals - Doesn’t look like it.
    • Alternate Planes - Haha. I don’t think so.
    • Musical Score - Raj is the MAN
    • Three Playable Kingdoms - Seems like that one is coming if Stephanie’s recent stream is any indication!
    • Dwarves - Also seems like it’s on the way.

If the ones that have been discussed come through, that’s 13 successful(not including elementals) and 5 Fails (including elementals)

It’s not perfect, and there are a few that I am quite disappointed may not make it in (Festivals, true Seasons), but the idea that Stonehearth abandoned all or most of their Kickstarter goals is a silly notion, last time this discussion was brought up, the team managed to strike off a few more items on the list despite the overwhelming cry that they would not. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Stonehearth is a game about exploration and survival in an epic fantasy setting. Your job is to help a small group of settlers survive and carve out a place for themselves in a hostile land. You’ll need to establish a food supply, build shelter, defend your people, and find a way to grow and expand, facing challenges at every step.

Starting from procedurally generated terrain with dynamic AI encounters, Stonehearth combines city sim and good old combat with infinite building possibilities. It’s built to be moddable at every level, from your city, to the people and creatures inhabiting the world, and will ship with the tools and documentation for you to add your own customizations to the game, and share them with friends.

I’m having trouble finding many faults here. Exploration can be taken as not to mean exploring and developing an area for a city… and instead people may have seen this as adventuring into caves and like as some pictures suggested, I get this and also wish there was more of that aspect, but as I play the game, i notice i don’t really miss it.

Most of everything else seems on point besides the combat, which is currently lacking as we all know. I am hoping that gets another solid pass, but i’m not entirely hopeful on that point other than tweaks to balance and animation.

Yeah, I agree, drives me bonkers that it’s just sitting there… staring at me. O.O !!!

I realize this is getting way off-topic… whoops. I apologize.

On Topic: Woo embarkation!

3 Likes

Dragons are in the unstable, you just need to be lucky and find a merchant selling it!
screenshot%202018_05_02__21_58_10

6 Likes

perhaps you should also watch the kickstarter trailer and see what they said about modules, continents, monster populations, interacting modules and the various suggestive pictures of content like various armour, classes, and dungeons for adventuring parties.

All in all, It’s important to remember backing a crowdfunded game is a gamble. You should expect the worst, and be pleasantly surprised by even a middle of the road outcome. That’s my take nearing the end of this journey, that the scope of the game as it is today is just OK. No larger overworld, no procedural campaigns/dungeons, no influential effects, no other planes, no magic or alchemy system. At the end of the day, those were a pipe dream and not much else.

2 Likes

I have plenty of times. And like I said above I wish there was more, but so far I’m happy with what I have.

And always remember, it’s not done yet. :slight_smile:

Edit due to being attacked by children

I mentioned this above I believe.

I also forgot how MUCH they talk about the importance of mods in this video. Which is poignant here. Fun trip back in time, thanks for bringing it up.

Agreed in whole, though in this case i think we got better than middle of the road.

2 Likes

Can you link that, I missed it. I saw it back in Tom’s day but not since then. And I don’t remember seeing it in @malley’s animation demo.

The core of these are started in the game. I’ll give you that. And I’m still leaving it that we may get it in the content releases of the future. That said, they still haven’t really been talked about.

Not really. No one knows what the class will do, how it will work, ect. If there is and I missed it, I apologize. Honestly the two previous classes are in the game more than this one.

This has become “If we get to it”. Whether you want to say that’s still a yes or not is up to you, but with their current rate, I call it a no.

Actually, this I’m going to say is out. In the latest Dev Stream, when asked if the bunny race would be playable, it was said not from the start, that only the 3 factions would be. So by reading too much into this, it tells me that Dwarves have been scrapped.

I’m not saying all of them have been scrapped, but I am saying at least half of them have been, and for them being “stretch goals” that were not only used to push the Kickstarter, but were achieved, it feels kinda like being ripped off. Regardless, we have gotten so many other things we we weren’t expecting at well, like their (limited) personalities. Doesn’t fully make up for it, but it’s better than nothing.

Though this statement is true, it’s also an excuse. And if it’s an excuse that the developers want to stand behind (as they basically are), then it speaks for who they are and their game dev character. Though this game is coming to an incomplete end, it reflects on Radiant (and somewhat on RIOT), and already puts their next game in a bad light.

2 Likes

I appreciate your responses to this. When I saw you typing for like 20 minutes I didn’t know what to expect. hahaha.

1 Like

Stonehearth Dev Stream 308: Malley + Time = Stuff 3:23 in the video. It’s also in the item stamper if ya really wanna get crazy. :elephant:

If we’re going to make assumptions based on the content from dev streams then check out Stonehearth Dev Stream 319: Rabbits and Shadows with :dragon:Malley​:dragon: & :sparkles:Angelo​:sparkles:. At 15:25 they actually talk about a comment from Solus about having all 5 of the base factions in one town. The five being Rayya’s Children, Northern Alliance, Ascendency, Dwarves, and Bunnies. So by reading too much into this, it tells me that Dwarves haven’t been scrapped.

3 Likes

You have no idea how excited I was when I figured out how to get all the races at once.

3 Likes

Haha, I was like holy :cow2: Solus is a genius! Saved the rest of us the hassle of trying to figure it out :laughing: Thanks!!

1 Like

Apologize I missed that then.

2 Likes

There is one thing about this thread exploding in frustration, that i really dont get… It seems like people are reacting to something that did not happen? If i did not know better, i would think that @sdee told us in the DT that the game is done and what there is now, is what we get… forever…? I have not heard that, not even close, so why is it that the emotions are vibrating so much?

And @SirAstrix i know you are upset, when you role right back into the pattern you where in last year!
To quote Einstein: Insanity is doing same thing, over and over again, expecting a different result… Please sir, step away from your pc for a minute and look at the wonderful world we live in, then come back with a more eased mind and productive attitude? :heartpulse:

Guys lets take a moment and see what the end result will actual be, before we judge the book on its cover?

Thank you all :sunny:

4 Likes

I’m still a bit baffled by this extreme response too. Like folks gettin’ bent over Titans not being in, even though Allie just showed us artwork of Cthulu shrines on the landscape. Why the heck would she even bother if it’s gonna have nothing to do with the game? There is literally already a mod for seasons, once weather is tied in and it’s fleshed out a bit more that will work just fine.

The performance pass isn’t gonna take the whole team the whole year. I imagine it’s gonna be like the past year. Folks that aren’t directly involved will be doing studies and working out the remainder of the campaign and other bits. I’m holding out hope that more stuff will get checked off the list or added to somewhat compensate.

@Fornjotr Maybe it was Stephanie talking about the end of the story arc, and folks just translated that to mean the end of Stonehearth. She said, “…opinions about how episodes of building simulations should draw to a close.” Instead we got a thread of opinions about how folks feel about the game drawing to a close and I seem to have missed the part of the video where this was announced.

5 Likes

No point posting here any more

1 Like