Daily Update No Longer Shows

Title:
Daily Update No Longer Shows

Summary:
This has happened to a few towns now, but after I play with a town and progress enough to get about 20 people moved into the town I stop getting the “Daily Update” window every morning. I’m not missing it. I’m not closing out of it. The window does not appear at all.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a new town
  2. Play as normal and progress as normal with collecting food, crafting objects, creating buildings, etc.
  3. Get Daily Update every morning with progress report and reward of new town member joining of objectives met.
  4. Reach about 20 town members total with any jobs.
  5. No longer receive Daily Updates.

Expected Results:
Daily Update window shows every day, no-matter how many people live in the town, and behaves as usual with showing progress on food, safety, and net worth then continues to prompt for a new town member based on those criteria being met.

Actual Results:
The Daily Update window does not appear at all during any time of the day AFTER 20 people live in the town.

Notes:
I am currently playing a town with Rayya’s Children on peaceful mode with the desert terrain. This has also happened multiple times with The Ascendancy on Temperate biome with both peaceful and normal gameplay.

This is also my first time playing with Rayya’s Children.

Once the Daily Update doesn’t appear on one morning it doesn’t ever show up again no-matter how long I keep playing with the town. In other words: it’s not skipping days.

I have already tried resetting the UI with F5.
I have already tried saving and closing the game then re-opening the game.

If I go back to a previous save that still had Daily Updates and play from there then after I get 20 people in my town I still don’t get Daily Updates.

The first day (in this town) I noticed I was no longer getting Daily Updates was Day 30 of Deepmun.

Townspeople are still working and behaving as normal. They are also still leveling up with their professions.
I’m still getting visits from traders, caravans, and such as normal.

Attachments:

Town stats after Daily Update stops appearing:

Breakdown of what the townspeople are doing.

Version Number and Mods in use:
Alpha 13
release-491 (x64)
No mods as I didn’t even know they existed.

System Information:
Windows 10
Processor: AMD FX™-8120 Eight-Core Processor 3.10 GHz
8 GB of RAM
64-bit OS & processor

Hey there @CrazyKneazleLady, there is a user setting that sets the maximum number of Hearthlings allowed in the game as of Alpha 13. You can find it in the gameplay tab of settings, default is 20 :smiley:.

3 Likes

What? Why would you even want a max number of Hearthlings? Wouldn’t the goal be to get the town as big and populated as you can while still sustaining life?

Well, many users have found that there is a limit to how many Hearthlings their computer can support, so the devs added this setting to allow the to not be bothered by the reports when they are simply going to decline them.

Ideally, we will get there. However, at this point in time I have not heard of anyone who can support 50 Hearthlings (the current max setting) without gameplay issues.

The good news is that you can change the setting in your current game and start receiving the update again, so this should not be too much of an issue!

1 Like

Strange. I suppose that makes sense, though then the question becomes what kinds of objectives can be added to the game to keep the user entertained enough to keep playing once they’ve hit the limit for number of townspeople. Will be fun to see what they come up with as game development progresses.

First, as I mentioned above the devs do want the “default” max number to be higher than 20, even on the minimum spec computers as detailed on their website. Increasing that number should happen as development continues, with more optimization of the game. In particular, there is a nasty memory bug in the current release (Release 491) that has been plaguing a lot of people, so fixing that should help a bit.

One of the biggest changes coming soon in terms of “objectives” is a combat overhaul. Alpha 14 is expected to include changes to the way Hearthlings heal (it will be very slow, not nearly instant like it is now), the introduction of the Herbalist, who can make bandages and tonics to heal the Hearthlings faster, and maybe some new creatures to defend against.

Once again, it’ll be interesting to see how the game develops since there is a limit to how many townspeople the game can support on various machines (whether 20 Hearthlings or 200).

This is moving to a discussion on game mechanics instead of fixing a bug that turns out to be a feature and not a bug at all. A new thread should probably be started if this discussion continues.

If you wish to discuss performance related things, check out the #performance category, or for sharing your thoughts on where development should lead, the #suggestions category is a great place for a discussion! :smile:

1 Like