Creating and adding mods

I have a question about the modding part of this game. You emphasize it a lot, and it sounds like it could make a really fun game into an amazing game. But, since I play minecraft, you may know there are mods in minecraft. You may agree or disagree, but downloading and adding mods to minecraft is BEASTLY hard for me. I don’t know how to mod or anything about making mods in minecraft. Other people may find it easy, but a lot of people I know find it hard too.

So my question is whether modding the game is easy, and whether adding mods other people have already made is just as easy. I think this is important for the game, and how fun it is.

I’m pretty sure that they have plans to include an automatic installer and mod manager, as well as a sort of “mod catalog” where you can look through the most popular ones, the newest ones, etc.

Absolutely agree with you @rileydyer1. Modding has the potential to turn a nice game into a great one.

From what we know at the moment, adding a mod should be pretty easy. If I understand it right, there will be a folder, into which you will have to add the mod you want to include in Stonehearth. I would expect that Stonehearth will recognize any mod which is included in this folder and will make them accessible to you once you start a new game. The devs also mentioned that they would like to see a “repository”, some kind of a catalogue, for mods, where you can choose from.

Regarding creating a mod, this will be probably a bit more difficult. Also here the devs have mentioned that it should be easy to do simple mods. However, you will have to dig a bit more into the details here. The easiest mod might be to add a new item, e.g. weapon. You will have to create the design for that… which is very easy using Qubicle Constructor (as many here are already doing). After that, you will have to add some references in the game for your new item, i.e. adding / changing 2-3 files, including a description of your item and the resources required to create it. Overall, this should be managable for everyone who is really interested (and there will be some tutorials for that, I am very sure of). Now if you want to create a more complex mod, I guess the level of difficulty will increase to an arbitrary level. It was mentioned that you can do quite a lot using Lua, JavaScript, etc. So here it seems like sky is the limit for possibilities and complexity.

Speaking as someone who is writing mods continuously now, I suspect the process will also get more streamlined as time goes on.

@sdee Counting on some more streams on this topic. While I like to watch the videos where new designs are created, I really love that ones where Tom is explaining more in detail how the files do work together. Maybe we can expect a “Introduction into Modding Stonehearth”-series, once we are closer to the Beta.

i think you may a little influence on the matter, so i have high hopes!

indeed… i would imagine the process will improve significantly before beta, and the team will obviously want folks to be able to mod during the beta, so having at least a bare bones “how to” guide will likely be a pre-beta objective…

the entire game is a series of mods, so making their development and usage as painless as possible has got to be one of their highest priorities…

This is all good, because minecraft doesn’t have a very good way to mod. Maybe the developers of minecraft didn’t intend for mods, and people just figured out how to do it, but it was hard. Thank you for your answers

absolutely… forgot to mention, welcome aboard! :smiley:

You can already start practicing with Qubicle like @voxel_pirate said. It is really easy. I have no prior history in modding and no knowledge in coding. Also I had a hard time installing minecraft mods too, and from all the forums I searched for troubleshooting, a lot of people do. :smile:
I have a lot of fun with Qubicle and the game is not even close to beta.

You can’t compare Minecraft modding to Stonehearth modding. Stonehearth actually supports mods. Minecraft mods are a hack that’s endorsed by the creators.

Compared to Minecraft, installing mods in Stonehearth will be a breeze - my guess would be that the process involves nothing more than unzipping a file into a “mods” folder.

That said, while installing mods is easy, don’t get your hopes up about easy modding. Programming is never easy. Lua is a slightly easier language to learn than Java, but you still have to think analytically.

Mkay so i need to buy Qubicle constructor huh … or is there a free one i can use … or should i risk doing it completely in blender? wich would be kinda hardmode xD

Sweet cant wait to handle a project myself only question is what … maybe some magical stuff with jobs(classes) like necromancer ,mage/warmage , druid etc etc. I’ll see what my brain can come up with

Qubicle has a free version however to export the models requires a paid version, blender is just for animating and can’t create models for use by Stonehearth as far as we know.

Qubicle: Free version, paid version required for exporting (required for animating and using in-game)
Blender: Free, only for animating.

welcome aboard @DragoKen! :smile:

i believe @Xavion has spelled it out nicely for you, but here’s the link to Qubicle, for those playing the home game…

@SteveAdamo Yes i already knew about Qubicle and will most likely buy it when i have the chance (will play with the trail to practice my square style, wich will be a little adjustment to smooth drawing but meh ).
And thanks for the welcome :grin:

On another note i came up on a starting point to my fantasy type mod, i’ll be making a article with that one and will build it up untill i finally get a nice looking toon that works.

I actually think that is a good thing. To start, it makes it harder for the uneducated to install cheat systems. On the other side, it could get some kids into the mindset that things work for a reason, there is actually a ton of stuff behind the pretty colors on your screen. It gives the game a bit of educational value. Of course, at the end of the day. All you are doing is copy/pasting files into a .Jar, but hey, make of it what you will.