Congratulations to PDanford on his Amazon published book!

Okay… if blogging or not makes sense or not is debatable.

Anyhow I started going down that route by blogging on Goodreads in German as well as in English while always doing both languages for an entry.

But in comparison to what I am used to from a wordpress site I help with sometimes, its extremely clumsy and I am also totally unhappy about having to do two unique entries every time.
So if anyone has good examples of blog sites with two language entries side by side pretty please let me know about them.

Cheers

2 Likes

Trying a bit out… how yall like this?

https://pirxblog.wordpress.com/

Its a bit of a hassle to write the entries, but it looks much better than the blog on goodreads I figure?

2 Likes

absolutely lovely! it looks very clean and tidy.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch! Someone suggested that I use different backgrounds for English and German, toyed a bit around and it should be easier to read now.
Also I really don’t know what stuff someone is supposed to put on twitter, so from today on I believe I’ll tweet a line from my novel each day.

Social media is such a jungle :grimacing:

2 Likes

Sorry sorry sorry!

I know this is an old topic, but I just received a much improved blurb and translated it into English and would love some opinions and improvement suggestions.

The engineer Helen van Scharl is one of the “Awakened” aboard a generation starship, which started its travel from earth by far over a millennium ago. After centuries of icy sleep every quarter-century a maintenance technician is wakened, to ascertain the functionality of the ship’s systems. Promptly Helen discovers that her predecessors lifespans after waking were quickly cut short and that the societies population aboard the ship has severely regressed. Adventurous, dealing with spears and arrows among other troubles, it is one dangerous situation after another Helen runs into, while trying to make contact with the seemingly barbaric tribes. Soon she discovers a far more threatening circumstance, which could result in certain death for everyone aboard the ship. The survival of the generation starship is hanging by a thread.

Also if you have read my novel, I am eager for feedback - it still needs quite some improvement before I dare to release the print version of it in English.

1 Like

Holy cow! I know I’m a bit late to the train, but congrats @PDanford !

I hope to read it eventually, but right now my time schedule is about to explode with the beginning of college season.

Also, it greatly inspires me when I see a fellow community member achieve an amazing feat like this, because right now I’m working on a fantasy novel (my first one) that is scheduled to be completed before the end of times.

So congrats again! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can testify to the quality of the book. Please consider purchasing it, to help support @PDanford

2 Likes

Cheers folks. With some very good suggestions from @TurtleSquish I rewrote the blurb. Let me know what yall think:

The maintenance technician Helen van Scharl is one of the “Awakened” aboard a generation starship. Far over a millennium ago the starship embarked on its long travel away from earth. Every quarter-century a maintenance technician is wakened, to ascertain the functionality of the ship’s systems. Promptly Helen discovers that her predecessors lifespans after waking were quickly cut short and that the societies population aboard the ship has severely regressed. It is one dangerous situation after another that Helen has to face. On her travels Helen has to deal with spears and arrows among many other hazards. To fulfill her mission Helen needs to make contact with the seemingly barbaric tribes. Soon she discovers a far more dangerous circumstance, a threat that could result in certain death for everyone aboard the ship. The survival of the generation starship is hanging by a thread.

Also the German version is updated with a huge overhaul of corrections and is getting published via another venue besides Amazon. Quite exciting times :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@PDanford glad I could help.

About the German version, glad your able to make this book grow :smiley:

1 Like

My hat goes off to you, writing something well in one language is hard enough.

1 Like

Amazing news, someone created a trailer for my novel.
Its in German but maybe you folks like it anyways :smiley:

(I noticed some scenes from Battlestar Galactica in there and will check if that may cause trouble, so maybe I’ll get another version from the video guys. UPDATE: Still some glimpses in there, but much reduced.)

1 Like

Just noticed that the “get a copy”-button to Amazon requires you to pick science fiction as genre manually after the jump, otherwise there’s just a whole list of books showing that are not yours.

That is weird… I switched the link from the Kindle version to the print release now. Does that one work?

Now it shows the Kindle version. :stuck_out_tongue: At least it does when I’m following this link and then follow the link to the german version. The Amazon DE-Button then takes me to this page.

@PDanford a thousand apologies for not writing on your book more. As you know I moved and I don’t have a computer any more, and editing on a phone is annoying especially considering I’m not used it. Some time down the line I will be getting a laptop and when that day comes I’ll try and put more time info your book.

For those reading this, I can testify to the quality of his book.

2 Likes

@TurtleSquish mate no worries at all. Every little bit that improves the novel is much appreciated. Your insights are invaluable to me!

To be honest the way I publish the book is done very differently between the German and English version.
With the German version I very closely follow the traditional route, to release the finished copy edited novel as print release. Well besides having found a great partner to do the print and sales on our own; this is also due to the very strict policy regarding pricing in Germany. It is not allowed to change the price of a book after release. (Yeah sure there are always ways around that, but its a hassle and annoying)

With the English release though I am trying out something a bit new. When working together with others with the great tool Etherpad I was baffled by how much the quality was improved by collaborating. Not on my novel though but on other projects. I really wonder how writing a novel would work out on that platform.

So I decided to launch the English release with 3 stages. I’ll explain that with a quote from my novel front pages:

Anyhow we are currently in stage 1. This means the following: I beg you dear reader to help me improve the book, please do provide me with feedback! Also it means the book is only available as ebook in English.
Whoever submits feedback to me, which I am able to use will receive a credit notice. (Of course only if desired, also the name used is freely selectable within the limits of good taste.)

Stage 2 will begin with a free giveaway of the ebook and a hopefully huge update eliminating the most and/or worst mistakes. Stage 2, as well as stage 1 will have updates whenever a good amount of “bugs” has been fixed. If, within a reasonable timeframe, no more mistakes are being found stage 2 will find its end.

Stage 3 will again see a free giveaway and then the print version will be released alongside the ebook.
Of course I will keep updating the book if necessary, but I rather do hope that this won’t be the case.

Its a bit unusual to include the reader this way, but given that I am a very unknown author I don’t blame the idea for lack of feedback, but just that my novel as well as I are not being read very much. In the years to come I’ll work in the traditional way here in Germany but I pledge that I will keep my communication channels open.

I am a very patient and stubborn person, so I will try out the staged approach until its proven beyond doubt that it is a silly idea that doesn’t work. Currently Stage 1 has been running since a year and about a third of the novel has been edited. Soon I’ll update the ebook on Amazon with the current version, which I feel is much improved already.

Sure I am afraid of harsh criticism, but the only way to improve is to be open minded. So whoever feels like joining the effort and helping me is very welcome. :bookmark_tabs:

1 Like