[Con] SGT2/A1 Bug: Application doing nothing

you are in the right place @Amerisun … you listed your specs previously, but I wonder if you can share your graphics card as well? are all your drivers current, etc.?

once you provide that, perhaps @not_owen_wilson will be able to further investigate your particular situation…

1 Like

Last few weeks I had 334.89 version of the NVidia drivers, but I just upgraded to 335.23 and still have the same issue. I have a GeForce GTX 670 running 1920 x 1080§ (60.000Hz) with 4 gigs of RAM on the card. I doubt if I bought a 780 Ti Classified or something it would matter, although I probably will be in the next few weeks.

Every time it crashes I get a new dmp file, so here is the latest dmp file below… it won’t let me link to DropBox anymore (it used to?) so who / how can I link to my dmp file?

I try running it in steam, out of steam, with admin, without. Still same results, it doesn’t launch at all… just get a new dmp file.

Here is the last communication (below), it wouldn’t let me reply a third time for some reason, cause I guess I am new? But I am not new, I been on here a long time I just don’t write a lot. :smile:

Thank you Geoffers!

Dropbox link is below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/364541/crash.dmp

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile:

Just flagging @not_owen_wilson to revisit this and see if anything in particular stands out?

1 Like

thanks for the follow-up!

since you mentioned Steam specifically, have you tried the HB version as well?

I think I found a few issues I would like to report, and I did some exhaustive testing and trying, I build software so I know enough to be dangerous. :wink: Hopefully this can help others.

Making it work:
1st - If I installed the application as a local account, it seemed to work fine under that local account. But if I then logged into my Microsoft Account (Windows Live Account) I couldn’t even use the application. It didn’t have permissions for me to even run the game, although I could look in the program files folder. It would seem the installer doesn’t set proper permissions for the install folder in some cases like this. (only on the HB installer)

2nd - If I installed it under my “Microsoft Account” (using a Windows Live) it does have the right permissions, but the game was not working for me. If I switched back over to my local account, it didn’t have any permissions to run the application like in 1 before. (only on the HB installer)

3rd - I then ran a few procmon a few times and procdump, and tracked down a lot of false positives in registries not found, and other files that were not found … then I found one that said it had a name collision (and when it seemed to crash) when it was creating a file in this location “C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-{LongGuidHere}”. Don’t want to put the GUID as seeing it’s cryptography and this is the internet and my computer. :wink: But inside that folder were 3 different files. When I deleted that whole folder above (all three) then the application worked fine. Then I did some more digging and found only one of those if I deleted let the application work fine.

So two issues I found were:

1. If you install the HB version as an account on a PC, only that account can run the application fine. You have to uninstall and re-install (or edit the C:\program files\ permissions) to allow the group “Users” the right access to run the application from that location. (note this only happens with the HB installer, Steam already has the correct right access in the Common folder, so I didn’t have this issue with the Steam install, I tried / tested both in all scenarios). Note that my local account is Administrator and my Windows Live account is not. This is so I have a good separation of power and I have to type a password to do anything, so as to keep myself as secure as you can with Windows. :smiley:

2. If there is a file in your Crypto RS folder that this software is looking for, and it’s corrupt or something is wrong with it… then Stonehearth will not launch anymore. I think perhaps the code could be changed to see if the file is there, and if it’s good… and if not remove it and re-create it and I think you could solve everyone’s problem with this possibly? Just an idea. Note also, I tried to rename the corrupted one to like _OLDCORUPTED at the end… but it still wouldn’t run until I either deleted the file, or moved it to another drive (which I did in case the developer wants to see the corrupted file).

After reading on the internet, this RSA problem is a common theme in software that uses this functionality, and users have posted that they have to remove the file all the time to get that software to work. I saw posts of people having to delete the folder each time before they launch the application, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here in Stonehearth, once I delete it once it runs fine after that. So I am sure there is a way around this.

5 Likes

wow @Amerisun, really nice sleuthing you’ve done here! 2 internet points for you my good man… :smile:

paging @sdee and I suppose @Ponder to pour over this wealth of information…

4 Likes

Thanks for the awesome error report @Amerisun! I’m fixing the crypto issues now.

3 Likes

Ok, we just upgraded to a new version of the installer that correctly identifies Windows 8.1 (which may have been part of the permissions problem). To clarify the installation settings (non-Steam), the game will install for all users if the user is administrator, otherwise it will install per user.

Thanks again @Amerisun for the fantastic information! Let us know if the next build works for you.

2 Likes

I can verify that R80 has finally allowed me to start the alpha and play it! Good work, people! Was it the permissions/crypto stuff above? What a hard to find bug! I have replied to the Stonehearth Guru thread on this issue as well. Would like to know if the others having this issue have leapt this hurdle as well.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sure with this update more people will get the game to run. We must confirm which ones although I don’t know if it would be possible to mark some threads as resolved; it’s important to keep an eye on them.

1 Like

Changing the tag to [Res] would probably be it, we could always create another subcategory for Resolved bugs, that would help clear the bug reports category of resolved issues and serve as a repository for people experiencing issues.

Thoughts @SteveAdamo?

aye, that’s what we were doing previously… ideally, the sort by topic title option would group together the [tags], but that doesn’t appear to be the case…

but yeah, we could have two subcategories within support I suppose… something like Active Bug Reports (the current forum) and Resolved Bug Reports (proposed new forum to filter out the good stuff, and be used as the suggested repository)… :smiley:

i know it seems painfully obvious where things would fall, but i suppose it might be somewhat confusing to new users? let’s see what @sdee thinks?

1 Like

Let me see if I understand this–so bug reports would start in the Active category and then move to Resolved as they get fixed? That makes sense to me!

1 Like

Good stuff! @SteveAdamo am I missing a button or can we no longer create categories? Is it strictly an admin function now?

we should be able to… lemme see…

edit: wow, it does indeed appear to be missing now… paging @system, @supermathie… help? :blush:

Creating categories is indeed an admin function now. We can enable a setting that will allow moderators to create categories. I’ll do that now.

(However you can only edit categories that YOU created…)

3 Likes

thank you sir! :+1:

edit: this category has been renamed… and the new Resolved Bug Reports category is a go! :smiley:

i’m off for a bit, but @Geoffers747 and I can start moving stuff into the right spots now… :+1:

1 Like