Cinematic moments

I just looked at the development roadmap and saw this.

I never heard anything of that before. Have I just plain missed something or does anyone know more about that?

3 Likes

i think that it will happen at like a caravan coming and passing through your small band of settlers or a lead up to a boss fight

2 Likes

I personally hope it isn’t like cutscenes in most games, but rather it records an animation of your village when something cool happens, like a titan comes and it makes a really dramatic animation that you can view later.

1 Like

Cutscenes in games nowadays tend to be much more customised than previously. Your character, location and that stuff appears in the cutscene as it is. Other games, such as Valve’s, usually don’t have cutscenes at all, it is all just scripted events.

If it is a cutscene however, I want it to be able to togglable… It’s nice to see that little movie when something happens the first few times, but then it usually gets old.

Except this one. This one never gets old.

1 Like

I think it is like a slow motion zoom in when a critical hit happens to be an insta-kill

2 Likes

What is SHED? It says right there on the Dev Roadmap.

I was wondering the same myself. A google search does nothing.

No one knows but we suspect its
Stone
Hearth
E
Development

1 Like

This was the first thing that I thought of when I heard “SHED”

1 Like

That’s because that’s a shed :slight_smile:

I think we picked up on this before and thought it might be something along the lines of Stonehearth Engine Development.

As for cinematic moments I’d imagine it’s something along the lines of [quote=“naturalnuke, post:5, topic:6128, full:true”]
I think it is like a slow motion zoom in when a critical hit happens to be an insta-kill
[/quote]

Other things like arrival of titans and such? Not so much cutscenes, but drawing attention to certain parts of the gameplay.

1 Like
1 Like

I thought of this:

1 Like

My guess about SHED would be the StoneHearth EDitor?

4 Likes

I looked at the roadmap today and cinematic moments had been removed. I wonder what people think about this?

I think they would be quite nice, but they might get in the way (e.g. you’re designing a building and suddenly you’re interrupted by a cinematic moment)…

I also wonder whether they will no longer be in the game or they are just less of a priority.

2 Likes

In terms of other games like WoW, Diablo 3, or any RPG (Mass Effect, NWN, etc…) I tend to watch cinematics the first time, but after that usually just want to skip them and press on. I imagine it would be similar in Stonehearth: “yay, I rescued someone from the goblins!” … next game … “gah, hurry up, this is killing my APM numbers!” :stuck_out_tongue: .

2 Likes

I remember it being for important events like titan invasion. But to me it is not a massive loss if it does not make it into the game.

2 Likes

I hope little cutscenes appear on big events every once in a while, while a narrator gives us a brief summary of what’s going on…

1 Like

I think the generic alerts are great for 90% of the things that happen. It keeps gameplay going, you don’t have to stop what you’re doing to figure out “Oh hey, the goblins are here again.”

However, when a Flying Cthulu busts into the scene and starts raising those dead goblins back from the nether… I’d think some flare is in order.

I’d even be ok with a quick location jump + pause game and a fun alert that describes what the titan is and what it wants.

"Look out!
Phlargar the Flying Titan has come, and nothing satisfies him more than the corpses of a thousand forest critters sewn into little plush bunnies!"

2 Likes