Canyon Biome mod

something like this?

and again rendered the last part looks very dark xD

thats how it looks real xD

I think monochromatic doesnā€™t look as good, cause canyons should have different colored layers.
I increased the number of layers from 8 to 16, and to avoid it being too high I decrease the size of each by half, so at the end we have the same canyons but with more stripes.

This is the result, using that palette I posted above

Real world canyon stripes used as inspiration, with a touch of minecraft mesa biome
Now I need to rework items spawns, as they messed up with the different number of layers.

19 Likes

looks defintiv better :smiley:

suddenly i get the feeling of mesa biome from minecraft :slight_smile:

I think that the grass should stay in the lower valley, on whatever level the water spawns on. It just looks weird having the colors be a shade of red, and then a sort-of washed out green.

3 Likes

like in the last pic its io :smiley:

whistle now its need only water thats fills the canyons :stuck_out_tongue: whistle

People over here modding in whole new biomes and I can barely build a nice looking house

9 Likes

yessss i know this issue xD everytime when i get a new hairstyle from kitty ^^ and the baddest part when i must change it so i can use it and i must try not to destroy it (with my unartistic hands xD)

ok sometimes i have good ideas like the juwelery for the hairmod - kitty loved my changes - to make them realistic ^^

2 Likes

I love this version ā€“ the thinner stripes remind me of a more ā€œclassicalā€ mesa or canyon image. Not particularly realistic, more of a fantastical lookā€¦ but then, I do like more fantastic terrain so IMO thatā€™s not a bad thing at all lol.

I canā€™t get over that isolated acacia tree up on top of the right-most plateau. Small touches/possibilities like that really add a sense of story to the map. I can imagine that some kind of desert sheep or goat would have a great time roaming those grassy ā€œslopesā€ leading down to the canyon floor, and resting under the shady trees around water holes.

The really great thing is that this basic design could, with relative ease, represent some very different parts of the world. Thereā€™s the classic image of the Grand Canyon or Monument Valley, thereā€™s Kakadu and the Kimberlies (or even the Outback around Uluru) in my neck of the woods, or even some parts of Africa.

Now, someone needs to start work on spinnifex grass and wilderbeests, maybe some kangaroos, rattlesnakesā€¦ LOL! Seriously, this biome is giving me all kinds of inspiration; and hopefully the same is true for other creative types around here. Iā€™m a little in awe, but mostly Iā€™m too busy dreaming up all the cool possibilities that stem from this :heart_decoration:

3 Likes

Personnaly i would change the pink shades for red/orange shades but else than that its an awesome biome that i will surely use to play with RC

I quite like the salmon color myself, but I think I might like just slightly thicker stripes.

Is there anyway we can get a naming convention for biome mods throughout mod community?

Like naming the smod ā€œbiome_biomename.smodā€.

Just for future sakes when someone may have like 19 biomes from mods :joy:

I like the canyons though! Havenā€™t yet actually looked at it, but think about adding water at the bottom of some chasms. Kinda like how the Grand Canyon in the US has rivers that run through it(since water is what causes the mountains to be eroded and form Canyons like that.

2 Likes

like i have seen all mods have such a settings xD

anorien_biome
archipelago_biome
canyon_biome
grove_biome

1 Like

Yeah, I have noticed that, thatā€™s why Iā€™m proposing the biome_biomename instead of biomename_biome

That way when in your mod folder all the biome mods you have will be all together. Iā€™m also lazy, so that could be part of the reason for my wanting this.

3 Likes

Wow! Really nice work.
Iā€™m gonna have to start a game with this biome over the weekendā€¦

7 Likes

This looks great! (=

1 Like

This looks great =D
I usually build my towns into a cliff face because I like the style, and now there is a biome to match =]

2 Likes

I always played on the default temperate Bioms just because i felt no meed for a new one, but maybe i should give modded bioms a go?

Not the canyon though, it looks awesome!, but surely not a beginnerā€™s biome :smiley:

i think it more beginner friendly ^^ not much places to spawn enemies they can attack and lots of stone etc. xD

1 Like

Well what i meanis that it doesnā€™t feel like a [beginnerā€™s ā€˜Biomeā€™]instead of a [ā€˜Beginnerā€™sā€™ biome]

I have plenty of experience with the game and hard mode (obviouslyā€¦)

I ment that it looks and feels Drastically different, i might just start with something moreā€¦ Subtle

1 Like