Borderless Fullscreen Mode

Borderless fullscreen windowed mode, or whatever you want to call it, is merely windowed mode but adapted to the screen in a way you can’t see the window borders (which are ~30px at the top and 5px on the other sides I believe - somewhere around that). The window is not movable and allows easy tabbing in and out.

It would be great if we could launch the game in borderless window mode. And just in case there is confusion (Tom) I’m talking about the game itself. Not full screen but windowed mode with no border.

On the bright side, we learned far more about the building tool than we would have if he understood you properly.

I’ve always wondered: What’s the point of borderless windows anyways?

3 Likes

ahahaha… so you want to make border less windows? well, its like this… waffles on for approx 10 mins on a different subject than border less windowed mode… epic one @Tom

2 Likes

Basically it makes the game look like full screen so you don’t have any wonky resolutions and you are more immersed while still being able to easily alt tab or in some cases so that if you have more than one screen you can actually use it. Some games when full screen would set that second one to black or lock the mouse.

2 Likes

Borderless window mode is amazing. It has everything fullscreen has (utilizing your whole screen) with the features of a normal window (can be overlaid by other windows, for example log files, can easily and most importantly quickly be tabbed in/out of).

I would greatly welcome a borderless windowed mode. I would start doing videos and maybe streams in 1080p if it was added.

4 Likes

I’ve never actually given this much thought, but a quick search turned up

Windowed Borderless Gaming and a discussion about it at Steam Community :: Discussions

Might be worth a shot. It appears to still be actively developed.

I have a dual monitor system. So one reason I want it is so I can play full screen on one monitor while having other things on the other and being able to interact with them. If you go full screen mode (old school way of doing it) when you alt tab or click on something on your other monitor the game minimize it self. If we had borderless window mode then you would be able to play in the new way of doing full screen without having that issue.

Tom, all joking aside, your in depth explanation were great! Thanks for all the sharing.

1 Like

There are quite a few programs that can “force” applications into another display mode… But they always depend on the rendering mode and don’t always work for everyone. I have some experience with that and it ain’t pretty.

2 Likes

I agree with RepeatPan. You want native support for this if you want it to work correctly.

2 Likes

Well, 60 seconds or so… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never had any trouble with that with Stonehearth, although I have run into problems during loading screens of other, older games. [RCT3, I’m looking at you.]

Of anything I can’t do in full screen, the worst is not being able to see the task bar, which is a situation that borderless windowed wouldn’t help anymore than windowed.

But if you all want a borderless window, I hope you get it.

1 Like

Has there been any more discussion on this topic?

Hello,

I like playing stonehearth on my second screen and keeping other applications on my first screen, but there is actually no windowed mode without borders for the game. Many games now support this feature. This mode would allow to see the game like in fullscreen and also allow to interact (with no alt-tabbing) with what is on the first screen when needed.
Could you please add this feature to the graphics options (and the ability to put the game dispaly on the second screen with the default keys : window key+shift+right arrow key)

Many thanks!

This is one of those things that needs to not be an afterthought. It FLOORS me every single time I play a modern game, early access or not, and this is not one of the options. It needs to be standard in every single game.

I would also want borderless fullscreen mode too, as I am starting to spend more time playing Stonehearth ever since I found this game.

Yes please. It’ s not a huge problem now as we’re still rocking alpha and everything, but it most certainly should be in for release.

Nevertheless I would like to see it put in as soon as possible. I’ve never really understood why this is so often skipped over, considering how easy it is to do when you already have windowed mode. It’s a few lines of code to remove the title bar and borders of the window. It takes more lines of code to do the options for it, than it does to actually remove those two things. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually Stonehearth already removes the border in windowed mode, so it’s a matter of also removing the title bar, extending the screen to cover the entire area and setting it always on top to hide the task bar (and a focus handler for removing always on top on focus loss, and restoring on focus gain). :slight_smile:

Not true. The way the vast majority of games do it (and how it should be done), is disabling the window border and title bar, which is something that’s supported (and easily done) for Windows programs at least.

Moving the window and setting the size accordingly is the hacky way of doing it, often utilized by 3rd party tools to fake fullscreen windowed mode. :slight_smile:

dual monitors here as well, I’m sure this is coming eventually but just wanted to say I’d also like to have it