Book of Elements: Act 1: Creation

Equivalent exchange is a good start for turning things into other things.

Amen, @Xavion, Amen.

Ok, let me try to explain some purposes and backstory now…

Fire : Ignis : Goddess of Fire and Fall
My Primary Element, and a Basic Element at that

Water : Undine : Goddess of Water, Oceans, Fish, Harvest, Tides, and Winter
Basic Element

Earth : Terra : Goddess of Earth, Soil, and Summer
Basic Element

Life : Vita : Goddess of Lifeforce, Animals, Plants, Birth, and Spring
Had to introduce Life for…well…life, not an important element but for was important for Act 1

Light : Rya : Goddess of the Sun and Light
Came in Act 1 for making the sun

Gale : Scylla : Goddess of Winds, Lighting, Rain, Storms, and Blue Skies
I like the term Gale, and generally refer to it as Wind+Lighting (aka Storm) but can be split if necessary

Dark : Anima : Goddess of Night, the Moon, Souls, Necromancy, and Passage to the Afterlife
Necromancy and Afterlife, opposite of Light

Metal : Mercury : Goddess of Metals, Tools, Technology, Innovation, and the Forge
My Secondary Element, but otherwise being almost as optional as Ice, can be assimilated back into earth

Mana : Gabriela : Goddess of Intelligence, Magic, Calm, and Bridge between all Elements
Was introduced In Act 2 when Man is given the Gift of Intelligence

Ice : Kayi : Ice, cold, and being completely optional

Magic in my world is made to be an optional path, Healing can only be used as a temporary to actual Medicines and First Aid because healing will only ease pain, close wounds, and stop bleeding, but if a person were to exercise those wounds they would only open back up, so Healing Magic and First Aid would be most advised for healing wounds, and Docters get to keep their jobs. The only Field Magic Might Excel in is Reviving, which even still then it only has a chance of working each time, that and if waiting too long, the person’s soul will have departed the corpse, thus being imposible to revive him. Necromany/Dark Magic will be the only thing that can raise dead, soulless corpses.

When a Person Is born, he/she is randomly born into one of the Primary Element Groups, Fire, Water, Earth, and Life. These Elements being the most powerful, yet being the most vulnerable. A person can learn spells of their element with relative ease, and can still learn other spells of other elements, but learning spells of other primary elements will be near impossible, or difficult to learn/master. Ex. Fire+Metal (Primary+Sub)

Random Fact: Fire Users cannot cast Fire Spells when Wet, so If you douse a fire user with water, or the fire user is in water, he cannot cast spells.

I really should stop posting large comments late at night, I must sound crazy, let me know if you still have questions yawn

Is there the lost element of void?
Void magic is the magic of everything and nothing. It is the magic that recognizes that concepts like earth, fire, air and water are just that–concepts, allowing you to defy or amplify laws of magic.

@naturalnuke
I think you can just heap all that on the mana element as mana can do just about anything (bridge between all elements)

What is your world for? Stonehearth mod? Novel? Video game? Pen and paper rpg? Thought exercise? Just wondering because the different things require different areas of detail.

What exactly are you going for with subelements as well? Combinations of other elements or specializations? Both even?

No because while all elements require mana, it is optional for Void.
(whenever someone mentions magic I mostly refer to this http://sdcga.com/~duam9/magic.htm)

@Xavion
Thought exercise, I just like to take naps and day dream on occasion, this is where I come up with all my stuff because apparently being half asleep is more interesting than the current conversation at the table, That’s just how I am.

@naturalnuke
I’m still not sure what you’re taking about, so I’m just going to say Mana (element) again o-o

read the description for mana, im fine with that.

Let me put some extra Information about magic use in a separate comment n.n

People are Randomly Born into one of the Primary Elemental Groups; Fire, Water, Earth, Life

People can learn and master spells of their birth Element with Relative ease

People can learn spells of the other elements along with their birth element

It is relatively difficult to near impossible for people to learn spells of other Primary Elements

Spells that go against the flow of effectiveness will have little to no effect

eg. Dousing a Fire User with Water will render the Fire User to not be able to Cast Fire Spells

(to add on) No race is born with an affinity to void magic, that is completely determined by the person and the mind set.

Isn’t there an opposite for every element and everything? if so, whats lifes opposite element

darkness, or anything to do with necromancy.

are you referring to void as darkness and necromancy?..I hate to tell you this bro, but that’s the dark element, it’s in the description…

what? no, that’s not what void is. void is like if physics met magic and it got drunk.

1 Like

…allllright then
So I whipped up a quick drawing on painter to show the relationships between elements

So to follow the arrows is basically to follow the effective flow, to go against the flow is to have little to no effect. As you can also see is that Mana is the middleman…er…woman and all elements on the outside have no relation with other elements whatsoever except with their bi-producting primary elements, making sub-elements.

You could possibly make sub-sub elements that are created from a sub-element and a primary element (ex. ice=water+metal;emotion=light/dark+life, depending on the alignment).

I think some of you in this thread might enjoy Doodle God in the App Store/Play Store :wink:

1 Like

Ok, so I have been concidering throwing out the rules here and maybe simplify the order, making it the 4 basic elements (or 5 if I include Gale) yeah, 5 is fine, 5 basic elements; fire, water, earth, life, and gale. Then the core core, mana. The Light and Dark Combo, for Illuminance, necromancy, and shadows. And an element that might make one person on this thread very happy or extremely disappointed, Void, the essence of consuming and devouring, this power is what drives monsters to destroy and consume and leave emptiness, the void will stop at nothing to consume everything. I’m also removing the borders on learning spells and birth elements, anyone can learn anything, but everything is still a prototype, and I really don’t like getting hit with water attacks, and hate ice, so maybe something like that can be worked with. #SUPER LONG POST

Me happy :smile:, and I am happy with this void.