So I had this idea while looking at some of the gameplay. Naturally, I thought of minecraft at first before I really understood that this game had an entirely different appeal to it. The concept of blocks may be similar, as well as building… But not on this scale. And then the introduction of the Pirates, Ninjas, and Politicians It got me thinking. Will their be boats? Sure, One could build boats and make settlers live in them, but making them move is an entirely different story.
The idea is to be able to build the boat or ship and make it however you like… The trick would be to turn it into a moving thing. The issues would obviously be about ramming into land and weather the boat would take on water but without those kinds of physics I feel like being able to create a fleet of ships that could possibly trade with ports that your main town has, with other towns over seas that you create or if we reach the co-op goal on kickstarter with your friends. Now even just one boat alone would be fine. The questions come up though…
1) How would you control it?
2) Would it need a captain or any crew?
3) Could it be damaged or burned down?
4) Should there be a size limit?
As far as my thoughts have gone I can say this much:
1) The controls should be simple. Click on the ship, click where you want it to go (If possible to add cannons - click to attack) Same as people controls. I think that what would be great is if you build the ship, and then at the top install a wheel (That would be the key to turning into a boat/ship) When you click on the wheel it gives you control over the built structure of the ship that it’s connected to.
The problem? What if you create a wheel and attach it to the earth? the game explodes because it’s trying to move the earth like a boat.
The possible solution? Perhaps, much like you draw out on the ground where you can stock materials, or how you can place a ground, there would be a “Ship Base” options of sorts that you can draw out. Only a Base made using that can move using the wheel.
2) I don’t think it should need a captain or crew BUT… Since were going through the trouble of making it have a wheel and possibly cannons. You might as well have a Captain that can steer the ship (that when levels up has better control and speed over the ship). You should have crew manning the cannons… and of course what would a proper vessel be without her cook. That should pretty much be the crew, if not for the chef then at least a captain and cannon crew.
3) I don’t think damage is necessary. Even if there are the additions of cannons, simply have them damage the crew. But if the option of damage to the structure of the hull is there, then I have no idea how to go about doing so feel free to throw in ideas.
4) Absolutely there should be a size limit. I can only imagine it would be a strain to move a massive object… However, Large ships are also very very awesome so that depends on how the development team could fidget with that issue.
This is all I have now, but feel free to throw in your ideas. I did not think this out as thoroughly as I would have liked. In all honesty I am so excited for this game to come out that I just had this idea pop into my head and I just had to throw it out there. Please, give advice, input and if you guys think it’s a good idea then keep this threat rolling so hopefully one day we can see the addition of moving functioning ships in the game. All though lets be honest, making non moving ships in this game will still be cool.