Blackscreen when exiting

Summary:
So I’ve been looking through the forum and nobody else seems to be having this problem but when I attempt to exit Stonehearth be it through alt-tab, start menu or even just the exit button my screen goes black. Shut down computer and turn back on, black screen. Do this three times and finally the screen starts working again.
Steps to reproduce:

1. I’m not sure however windows did recently update and before that I’ve never had a problem so that could be the cause

Expected Results:
Exiting the game to desktop
Actual Results:
Blackscreen
Notes:

Attachments:

Version Number and Mods in use:
Stonehearth alpha 18 release 663
No mods
System Information:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 2600 @ 3.40 GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 10/17/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 545
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “10.0.14393.0”
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.98 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.01 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.79 GB
Page File Space 6.00 GB

Hey there @Tobster, this sure sounds odd - I’ve never seen a report of black screen when closing the game, and certainly not an issue remaining after reboot.

Couple of requests:

1. Does this happen every time you run the game? If not, how often does this happen - is there any pattern?
  2. The next time this happens, can you snag your stonehearth.log and upload it here? It is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth (assuming a default Steam install).
  3. Can you be more specific what happens when you close the game?
  • You said “shut down computer” - how do you shut it down?
  • When you “turn back on”, do you see anything before the black screen? Does your computer go through POST? Do you see Windows booting? Do you get to log in first?

Thanks!

stonehearthlog.zip (8.2 KB)

It happens everytime I close the game and by shutdown the computer I mean press the on/off button on the computer tower.
As it restarts i get a youtube buffering style grey spinning circle in the center of the screen.

FYI: my screen is a 4:3 dell monitor but I’m not sure of the exact model.

Thanks for sharing the log. Looking through it I noticed that your graphics drivers are out of date. Please visit Download Drivers | NVIDIA and download the latest version for your card.

As for Windows not booting after restarting, I cannot see how that is a Stonehearth related issue. Once the game has been shutdown (or the computer is shutdown), Stonehearth isn’t running and thus cannot affect startup. That seems to be a bigger problem with your computer.

Ah ok well Thanks! I’ll try that.

1 Like

welp that didn’t work, i think its time i upgraded my 5 year old pc…

1 Like

Also got this problem. The only difference is, there is no blackscreen after reboot.

Windows 10
AMD FX 6350@3.9Ghz
16GB DDR3,
GeForce GTX650Ti, Driver up-to-date.

no Logfile, sry new User :wink:

Welcome to the forum, @Rodsengard :slight_smile:

You should be able to upload files now.

Does this happen every time you run the game? If not, how often does this happen - is there any pattern?
Do you have more than one monitor?

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes. This is everytime I run the game. I tested to close it directly after start: same problem.
Oh, and no Multi mon. Only one Philips 220EW.

Does not happen with similar games (OpenGL-Stuff like Minecraft, esp. FTB)

Trying to upload log now :smiley:

stonehearth.log (3.8 KB)

Edit: In windowed mode, no black screen as expected

1 Like

Does this also happen when running the game on 32bit?

Exit works in 32bit-mode as it should.
short time blackscreen, then Windows-Desktop.

Need a Log for this, too?

No, if it’s working fine and the blackscreen goes away, it’s not necessary.

If it works on 32bit, I wonder if there’s other application causing this issue.

No other 64bit Game/App/Program does do this.

Sorry, I didn’t mean that. It’s just that for Stonehearth crashes, when they only happen in 64bit, are usually caused by another application interferring with the game.

Do you have the analytics / user feedback enabled?

I have been asked for this at first start, I think.
I always answer those questions with yes.
Makes no sense for me to play early access and give no feedback :slight_smile:

You need this Long codethingy?

Not really, that is for when there is a crash.dmp (unless you actually have a crash.dmp from the blackscreen, that’d be useful).
I asked because at some point there were issues while playing if you had the analytics enabled, and I asked the devs some time ago and they had this doubt that there might be some problem at that point (while exiting the game) but I checked and I didn’t got any issue.

Not many people have reported this blackscreen issue, and we haven’t been able to reproduce it, so I’m not sure what might be causing it.

I also keep an eye on it. If I find out something, I´ll let you know :sunny:

2 Likes