Are forum games discouraged?

Agreed, it would be nice if the forum categories were actually subforums so that in order to be confronted with forum games, you would have to go to the forum game board specifically. Shame that’s not possible.

It’s fine. @SteveAdamo and I aren’t ever gonna shut down genuine questions or queries. Feel free to pull us up on anything you are unsure of and we’ll be more than happy to clarify :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i absolutely love the discourse over any other forum i frequent… but i admit, this is one downside to the format…

2 Likes

I like many aspects of it a whole lot, but having posts of all categories in one place is definitely something I don’t like. Sometimes people complain about seeing nothing but bug reports. Other times, forum games are crowding out other posts. It just seems better to be able to browse only those topics you’re actually interested in. That way, posters of new topics (of any kind) wouldn’t have to worry as much about displacing other topics, either.

You can filter by category, is that what you are referring to?

You can view just the individual categories you want to either by clicking the ‘categories’ button at the top on the main page or by clicking the button next to your profile picture. But I don’t believe there is a way to simply remove certain categories from what it is you see.

That’s true, I was aware of that, and I do indeed do that sometimes. However, since people still complain sometimes, or worry about which (kinds of) topics appear at the top, it seems a rather imperfect solution. It’s probably just personal preference, though.

1 Like

I think part of the trouble is that you need to actively do something to achieve this - compare to a phpBB forum where you have to first enter the category you want before seeing posts, on a discourse if you want to just view bug reports you have to join, see all the games & whatnot, then filter.

1 Like

#[FORUM GAME] Posts with numbers satisfying 7x² + 14log(12x - 4) = i will decide if forum games are discouraged!

2 Likes

I like forum games, but I despise map games, except the secret one.

I was about to make a topic named Epic map game of awesome just to see your reaction but i decided against it because im a leader and im going to lead by example…

yeah my mother is real proud…

and thats where @Geoffers747 forever lost his sanity and faith in me…

2 Likes

(just a quick off-topic note, is the Meta category not for discussion about the Discourse software itself?)

The only forum game I have seen come off as a success would probably be the Destroy the Tower game (well depending on your terms of success, I mean @Swift_Cube couldn’t handle the work in the end but it was fun for everybody and no arguing so pretty close to it), and I think reflecting on that a big part was there being a GM who made the decisions and what he said went. Giving people equal power in a forum game, however democratic, actually seems to be one of the key issues.

1 Like

Destroy The Tower should be rebooted. It was a really fun game while it lasted.

In terms of conventional Forum Games, excluding Map Games, my “You’re Banned!” Forum Game was probably the most successful technically, as it gathered over one-thousand posts, and was the first Thread on Stonehearth Discourse to ever reach that amount.

2 Likes

I was about to put it in General Discussion at first, but then when I read the description for the Meta category, I noticed that it said, “Discussion about this forum and how it works – deciding what sort of topics and replies are appropriate here, what the standards for posts and behavior are, and how we should moderate our community” (boldface added by me). That’s why I thought it would fit here.

Ooh gotcha, fair enough. I was just used to the category being used to address the devs almost, but this seems a legitimate use of it then. :blush:

1 Like

On the topics of games and such, I’m with @Silas in that a lot of the game types I’m interested in are more RPG based, or deeper strategy games, and to do those truly properly you need to be able to roll dice. While the GM could always do all of these, I’d much prefer if there was an in-forum die roller like on some other forums.
I’ve searched for if it’s come up before, but didn’t find anything, so I guess my question would be whether that is something possible, that we’d be interested in, or something like that.

1 Like

I would discourage forum games; but I understand that my point of view (while correct) is not always shared by others.

Well then! Yeah, I’m sorry, I don’t think you can say that…

1 Like

How can this be when I disagree with you :neutral_face: ?

Whistles innocently

3 Likes

One of us must be wrong!
I am not one to judge :wink: