Animal pasture size and animal numbers

Hi,
currently the animal numbers grow in a exponential function.
On a 10x10 field you can have 2 sheep or 2 rabbits or 2 poyos
On a 25x25 field you can have 3 sheep or 6 rabbits or 6 poyos
On a 50x50 field you can have 12 sheep or 25 rabbits or 25 poyos
Which is a problem, at least for me, because I need a lot of space for my animal pasture.
Furthermore it makes not much sense that a 25x25 field can only contain so little animals.

Changing the exponential function to a logarithm function would be better.
There would be a lot more animals on smaller fields but the end numbers could be still the same for each animal type.
I did not calculate any of those numbers … lazy … but it could look like this
On a 10x10 field you can have 2 sheep or 2 rabbits or 2 poyos
On a 25x25 field you can have 8 sheep or 18 rabbits or 18 poyos
On a 50x50 field you can have 12 sheep or 25 rabbits or 25 poyos
Witht this you won’t have to (waste) need that much space anymore to have a decent animal population.

What do you think ?

1 Like

Except that the 25x25 field is exactly 1/4th of the full size. I can see why you’d like more in a smaller space, but the way it is makes more sense to me. Sorry. :frowning:

Making several 10x10 fields would be the way to “cheat” the system, since you can have quite a few more animals in less space than the full size of 50x50.

1 Like

i would say 25x25 = 6,12,12 ^^

Well, 25x25 is 625 blocks, which is 1/4th of 2500 (50x50). If we could get 24, 48, 48 animals just by doing 4 smaller pastures instead of one big one (12, 25, 25), no one would ever use the full size.

I’d say 1 10x20 field should be slightly more efficient than 2 10x10 fields. This way it at least makes sense.

2 Likes

If someone wants to cheat she or can do it, like using ib for every building or teleporting stuff around or deleting enemies.
You can cheat with farms, you look how the rows are aligned and draw only 1 block wide fields next to each other and double the production.

Like MelOzone said, a 10x20 field should have room for more than 2 animals.

Cheaters will cheat, howsoever the game mechanics work.
But how the animal pasture works right now is not really satisfactorily and in some parts illogical.

To be honest, I don’t consider using game mechanics “cheating”. Abusing game mechanics is a more accurate term, but even with farms, although you can do 1-block wide raws, changing the type of crop becomes pain, so we may say it’s kind of an (unintentional) payoff.
The way the pastures work now looks more of an oversight, though. So I believe it should be “fixed” - large plots of land are harder to get and defend so it’s only logical they should be more rewarding.

2 Likes

Okay dokay :+1:
As for the “rewarding”, I understand your point and it makes sense but sometimes there is no space for large pastures and sometimes players do not want large pasture because of aesthetics.
Furthermore doubleing the field size and having not more animals is pretty annoying to me.

My suggestion was to make it a logarithm function BUT there are other options like constant growth which would make the game fairer in my opinion.

I think the problem is the perspective you are getting from the smallest size, 10x10. It has a larger number of animals compared to its size. But that is only 2 after all. It is when you reach 25x25 that the true number comes into play, 3, 6, 6 - a true fourth of the max total.

However, it seems that the only adjustment would be to only allow 1 animal in the 10x10. That would fit in better with the max amount, but having only one animal won’t allow the game design to add more through “breeding” two of a kind. It does make a bit of sense though, since you can’t get a baby whatever into the 10x10 anyway. Maybe they should change it to only one? And then only move up to 2, 4, 4 when hitting at least 20x21 or so.

1 Like

To add something to the discussion i think that there should be an option that makes it less tedious to keep getting meat. I mean you build pastures to get the meat from the sheep or poyos to make food out of it but you have to manualy tell them to slaughter some. I wish there was an option to tell them to slaughter 1 animal after the limit is reached.
Sorry little fellas but all my cooks operate with the maintain order so i need a constant income of meat. :unamused:

Now to the topic i don’t know if i am right but i think there are 2 advantage for big pastures in the current system.
1st: You can have 1 shepherd work 3-4 pastures no matter the size so having 3-4 50x50 pastures makes the shepherd more efficent.
2end: Shepherds try to have 1 unit of feed inside every pasture at any time and 1 unit of feed feeds all animals in the pasture (i increased the number of animals but not the amout of wheat and still overproduce the same amount of wheat).

My take on the size to animal count would be:
1 sheep needs 45 squares
1 poyo needs 35 squares
1 rabbit needs 30 squares
now get the size of the pasture test how often you can fit the targed animal in the final size (ignor the final rest -> i mean if i have 10 squares left i can’t cut 2/3 of the last rabbit of and trow the 1/3 into the pasture)
The odd numbers help to get a little bonus for making bigger pastures.

But the odd scaling aside i think the numbers are chosen because the limit of entities the game can handle at a time and having lets say 20 heartlings and 24 sheeps to handle is something different than having 20 hearthlings and 50 sheeps. True sheeps don’t add much in terms of CPU usage but the little things add up.

Also i don’t know if i am right but as far as i can tell 2 sheep breed axactly as fast as 10 or 20. :confused:

2 Likes

You surly did think about this :smile: [quote=“Prepe, post:10, topic:28126”]
To add something to the discussion i think that there should be an option that makes it less tedious to keep getting meat. I mean you build pastures to get the meat from the sheep or poyos to make food out of it but you have to manualy tell them to slaughter some. I wish there was an option to tell them to slaughter 1 animal after the limit is reached.Sorry little fellas but all my cooks operate with the maintain order so i need a constant income of meat. :unamused:
[/quote]

somethinglike this?

@groms Yea something like this. Didn’t see the topic :sweat:

1 Like

No Problem :smile: but you are welcome to add a comment :wink:

Any word from devs on plans to tweak pasture numbers? Or are they staying as is? I can tell ya, irl you can free-range about 10 chickens in the equivalent of a 16x16 pasture in game.

1 Like

@sdee or @not_owen_wilson

I farmed poyos and rabbits in my latest game (first time in a while) and I have to say I was perfectly happy with the amount of animals each space produced. The spaces were large enough to feel like “backyard” sized plots as opposed to “huge field” plots and they gave me a very satisfactory amount of animals. Of course there’s still the manual-harvest issue.

I totally get what you mean @MajorFordson; it’s cute and homey. I guess I want my plots to feel like actual pastures you’d use to support a community, as opposed to a small family, which is totally what these numbers feel like!

2 Likes