An idea for animals

Wow, long time since I last posted lol. Anyway, I’m playing again after a long hiatus and I notice that animals take damage in adverse weather. Covering the entire area with a roof isn’t really sensible so I suggest this instead. Build a smaller shed, shelter, whatever, inside the area, and activate the building by placing bedding (maybe made from silkweed or coarse fibers or whatever) turning it into a manger where the animals could hide for protection. Just an idea, glad to see the community is still active!

2 Likes

this actually already works if you have stonehearth ACE mod (animals will go to shelters in bad weather, so as long as those are covered they count as protected)

1 Like

Yes, as Wouter said, this is exactly how it works in ACE.

Animals will always go to bed when there’s bad weather and if you build the beddings under a roof, they’ll be protected. As a matter of fact, there are even new building templates that you can check out as examples.

I haven’t played in a while and had completely forgotten about mods. My current game is coming to an end due to performance issues, do the mods affect that much? I just placed a volcano with my geomancer and really hope that there will be a magma smith one day.

some mods more than others, it depends a bit on how strong your pc is to begin with. how many hearthlings can you run without issues?

Here’s my specs…

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-4300
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A99FX PRO R2.0 (Socket 942)
%1 Chipset
Graphics
S24F350 (1920x1080@60Hz)
22M35 (1920x1080@60Hz)
S24F350 (1920x1080@60Hz)
SHARP HDMI (1824x1026@30Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 46 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 ATA Device (SATA) 28 °C
223GB INTEL SS DSC2BW240A4 SATA Disk Device (SSD) 24 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS90 ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I can get away with 20 villagers as long as I keep things tidy, but barely. With my two rabbit masons I’m up to 22 but if you want the jobs filled that’s like the minimum I think. It’s pretty slow right now so I’m going to have to drop a few villagers I think, although I hate to do it lol. I’ll take any tips I can get on optimizing the game to make it run better.

You are limited by the hardware of your 7-8 year old computer
Keep things tidy and don´t let hostile groups linger
If you want to upgrade wait until march april next year, availability shouldbe okay by then

honestly its just limited by your AMD FX-4300, that said, i think that one is overclockable if you google around a bit. (should be able to squeeze about 5-10% more out of it) same with your ram. wont just help for SH, will help for all games :smiley:

I know very little about hardware, so I definitely didn’t know this. Can you recommend a reasonable CPU? I’ve been sick the last few years so money is pretty tight but my computer is definitely a priority for me. I’d given up hope on upgrading as I thought I’d have to upgrade everything to be honest.

well its mainly this game that leans HEAVILLY on processor, and some other games ofc, but less on a graphics card. problem is, A: if your computer is pre-built (and not made from parts)
hose parts tend to be hard/impossible to replace (stuff gets welded in sometimes)
B: if stuff is replacable, the processor you can have is limited by the socket where your processor is nested in (a square peg cant go into a triangular hole, to oversimplify it) so thats limited by your motherboard.

though by just a quick googling you could get something -slightly- more powerfull than you have now (20% or so without overclocking) on the same motherboards still (fx 6350?)

but thats still like 100 bucks or so, unless you go second hand processors just overclocking might be your best bet since that doesnt cost anything except time to google how to do that safely.

a computer I would buy for myself would cost about 5000 € including screen and keyboard, at current prices (about 1000 € of watercooling parts included in that number)
The reason i won´ t buy it is because i have no room to place it
Wouter´s idea is an option if you can find the cpu and are able to install it yourself

Really appreciate all the helpful information guys! It’s always good to learn.

1 Like

5k? thats TERRIBLY BAD value for money lol. i could make one for 400-500, assuming you already have a screen and a keyboard that would run everything on basically max for the next ten years (and did, for my GF lol, her money though) someone needs a tweakers best buy guide :stuck_out_tongue:

that said, screw water cooling. a 40-50 bucks after market air cooler works just fine, even with overclocking. not that you have to overclock much if you take a ryzen cpu nowadays

400-500 for an entire pc excluding screen and keyboard
And it can run red dead 2 at max settings at a playable frame rate( a constant ish 60 fps minimum )
I may also want to use raytracing
Most of the expensive parts have just been released the last few months and are overpriced right now

1 Like

Red Dead is beyond my computer unfortunately but I recently downloaded Skyrim so I plan to start that pretty soon. Maybe I’ll buy a lotto ticket.

I built my dad a new pc for 1400ish € earlier this year
Depending on the parts you have in you current system( psu and the tower) all you need is a cpu, mobo and ram
A r5 3600, a decent b550 mobo, and 16gb of ddr4-3200 ram costs 400-500€
If you add a gpu, power supply, a tower and some case fans it´s about 400€ more

this went from animals to pc performance real quick