Add Height Index to "choosing starting location" screen

For my mew settlement I needed some special requirements.
And I had some problems to see if there is a height difference or not.
Here an bad example:

There are maps where you can not tell the difference so easily but it works as an example.

Question: is there a height difference in the red circles or not?

Cliffs from the right to the left or bottom to the top are very hard to see and sometimes you do not see that there is a height difference.

A simple Height Index (red example) with a number or even a meter indicator would help (at least me).

4 Likes

This is not the solution you want, but if you chose the area between both circles, you will have both in your game as the playable area is very big, those would not be the center of it though.

1 Like

That makes not much of a sense for this topic.

My suggestion was to add a height index to the screen, as seen on the right side, since sometimes I can not really see if there is a height difference.

2 Likes

i’ve also run into this problem and found myself in tiny valleys sometimes, would be nice to have a height index, and in my opinion it would fit in well with the other 3 meters.

2 Likes

Here are the color values in C:\Program Files (x86)\Stonehearth\mods\stonehearth.smod\stonehearth\data\biome\temperate.json

You might be able to edit them to more easy to see colors. (I was looking at the desert biome once to see if I could make some pretty painted hills rocks just for kicks)

Yours are all probably in Steam but I always just mess around with stuff outside my steam stonehearth just in case :wink:

"season": "spring",
   "palettes": {
      "spring": {
         "null": "#ff00ff",
         "unknown": "#25221a",
         "bedrock": "#514e45",
         "rock_layer_1": "#6B6860",
         "rock_layer_2": "#76726b",
         "rock_layer_3": "#82807b",
         "rock_layer_4": "#918d86",
         "rock_layer_5": "#b3b0aa",
         "rock_layer_6": "#c1c0bb",
         "rock_layer_7": "#c1c0bb",
         "rock_layer_8": "#c1c0bb",
         "soil_light": "#918154",
         "soil_dark": "#807147",
         "dirt": "#B3A16E",
         "dirt_edge_1": "#A29161",
         "grass": "#8BB270",
         "grass_edge_1": "#AFCC7C",
         "grass_edge_2": "#9DBF76",
         "grass_hills": "#75b370",
         "grass_hills_edge_1": "#99ce7c",
         "grass_hills_edge_2": "#87c076",
         "copper_ore": "#c87533",
         "tin_ore": "#b0a080",
         "iron_ore": "#90b0d0",
         "silver_ore": "#cccccc",
         "gold_ore": "#ffd700",
         "coal": "#021c24"
1 Like

Looking at the pics I have to say yes in both circles. The upper one is the most noticeable of the two, as there is a very slight color variation. That and the flow of the obvious ridge.

the lower one is quite tricky to see, but it is there.

A height map index number or something would be nice for a better quick glance to determine this kind of thing. So I agree on that, as not everyone would want to stare a long time at the map to determine the height, or have that keen of an eye. Took me even a moment to figure on those pics. Not readily apparent at a glance that is for sure.

3 Likes

I have to agree clearly with @BrunoSupremo here, just giving the number would seem like the simple solution, but then suddenly you have this otherwise useless number there between all those beautifully graphic indicators. Also it would look like it had any effect on what you can or cannot do at this settlement location, like the amount of e.g. minerals tells you how much reasonable mining you can do.

A better solution would be to make the height differences more distinct in the preview map. Currently the greyish divider lines are overwritten by the tree indicators, and only the slight shadows towards the south are visible. So maybe making the shadow “diagonal” to bottom and right, and making the large tree indicator slightly smaller would help to clarify landscape features…

5 Likes

Well height indicators could just be in the info pane, along with the rest of the info. Was what I was thinking, as yeah having numbers on the map itself would be a bit cluttered among the actual layout.

2 Likes