(A22) Free-standing wall three-wall enclosure visibility glitch

Summary:
So I built my own personal Carpenter’s Workshop. A kinda compact one. Designed for town building. The first floor had only three wall enclosures, built through free-standing walls. The one opening is the way inside the carpenter’s workshop and up to his living quarters. When I changed the building vision to adjust the visibility through walls, I end up seeing the walls on the outer side as if they’re considered “behind”. But when I see inside the workshop, the walls disappeared as if I’m seeing them in front. A weird visibility engine error, I might say.

Please excuse how I explained the weird wall visibilty bug. I couldn’t come up with the words that would make sense in context. But at least I can show you what I mean in pictures (see below).

Steps to reproduce:

1. Build a foundation floor
  2. Using the Free-standing wall tool, construct an enclosure of three walls. The wall opening must be equal length/width minus the columns.
  3. Use the building vision tool (V) to slice the walls infront in an attempt to view the inside of the building through the front walls.

Expected Results:
There was one workaround I attempted to do to avoid this visibility glitch. I was building my cookhouse and it followed the same concept as the Carpenter’s Workshop. Only this time, I “timbered” the columns to give it a more aesthetic look. I tried to see if I can add a short enclosure on the intentional opening to see if this would prevent this glitch.

Actual Results:
Didn’t worked. The visibility glitch is still there.

Oh, and when I started building my Cookhouse, my workers seem to place the scaffoldings…inside.

Notes:
So much for building timber framed buildings.

Attachments:
Carpenter Three-wall Visibility Glitch (1)Carpenter Three-wall Visibility Glitch (2)Carpenter Three-wall Visibility Glitch (4)

Version Number and Mods in use:
release-763 (x64) | No mods (Vanilla)

System Information:
Windows 10 64 Bit | Intel® Core i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80 GHz | 8GB RAM Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GT 730

Summary:
Awhile ago, I posted a bug report about the visibility glitch of free-standing walls. It’s when the front-viewed walls do not view properly through Building Vision modes.

Now…when I started messing more with them, I think I discovered how this caused this particular visual bug. The cause of this was how you start building the walls. In my discovery, the direction of how you place them in will affect how they are viewed with Building Vision. I found out the walls will be viwed properly, if you build the free-standing walls from left-to-right.

Steps to reproduce:
Glitch

1. Place a floor/foundation.
  2. Place free-standing wall(s) on the floor, starting from anywhere on a right-handed side from camera perspective.
  3. Cycle wall visibility for result.

Workaround

1. Place a floor/foundation.
  2. Place free-standing wall(s) on the floor, starting from anywhere on a left-handed side from camera perspective.
  3. Cycle wall visibility for result.

Expected Results:
N/A

Actual Results:
N/A

Notes:
So from now on, I guess I’m going to have to start off my free-standing wall buildings on the left-handed side.

Attachments:
Explained enough in words.

Version Number and Mods in use:
release-763 (x64) | No mods (Vanilla)

System Information:
Windows 10 64 Bit | AMD FX™-6300 | 16GB RAM Memory | EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB ACX 2.0

I’m sorry i didn’t see your bug report earlier. I would have explained what was happening. The Free standing walls have an outside side and an inside side inherent to them. It only depends on how you place them. Not on floors, foundations or anything else.
If you place a Free standing wall starting on the left and dragging towards the right the outside of the wall will be towards you. It’s not a bug, it was designed like that.
It’s just like you said, when placing Free walls on a house always build them circling anti-clockwise. This way the outside of the room/house will be the same as the Free standing walls.

Have Fun, Kyth.

Really? Didn’t knew.

Well, to make it easier to discern these “outside” side of the wall, maybe a visual guide would’ve been in order?

1 Like

Yes, there should be some kind guide that tells you all these little details. I found out the same way you did a long time ago… :wink:

Have fun and build a lot, Kyth.

Yes, if you dig enough in the forum, you’ll see players already know about this since a long time ago.
Hopefully this won’t be a problem in the new editor :confused:

Will leave this as bug report for the time being, but might merge it again if I find related topics.