[A22] Attempted Roof Placement Generates Error

Since the latest update, when I attempt to put a roof on a building that has additional columns (beyond the ones that appear for the corners of a square floor) an error is generated and no roof can not be placed.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Drag/draw out a square floor (mine was 11x11)
  2. Add individual foundation blocks to create what will be additional columns during the wall placement (in my case, I add 3 blocks “around” each corner so the walls, when placed, create a 2x2 column essentially). See link to screenshot in Attachments section below.
  3. Place the walls
  4. Select the roof from the diagram… move your cursor out to the building design in the world. As soon as the cursor hits the wall you get the error.

Expected Results:

A preview of the roof should show up

Actual Results:

An error is generated (See notes below). After the initial error, subsequent attempts simply keep the cursor as a red “x” and do not allow the placing of a roof at all.

Notes:

The error generated:

release-737 (x64)[M]
stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:869: assertion failed!
stack traceback:
	[C]: ?
	[C]: in function 'assert'
	stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:869: in function 'create_edge_loop_for_wall'
	stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:877: in function 'create_edge_loop_for_wall'
	stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:877: in function 'create_edge_loop_for_wall'
	stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:956: in function 'calculate_roof_shape_around_walls'
	...th/services/client/build_editor/grow_roof_editor.lua:115: in function '_compute_roof_region'
	...th/services/client/build_editor/grow_roof_editor.lua:78: in function 'fn'
	...ces/client/selection/entity_or_location_selector.lua:232: in function '_get_selected_entity'
	...ces/client/selection/entity_or_location_selector.lua:267: in function '_on_mouse_event'
	...nehearth/services/client/selection/selector_base.lua:115: in function '_mouse_cb'
	stonehearth/services/client/input/input_capture.lua:55: in function '_dispatch'
	stonehearth/services/client/input/input_service.lua:70: in function '_dispatch_input'
	stonehearth/services/client/input/input_service.lua:12: in function 
<stonehearth/services/client/input/input_service.lua:11>

Attachments:

Screenshot of the floor layout (Step 2 in steps above): http://i.imgur.com/vv5BZKG.png

Version Number and Mods in use:

Version: release-737 (x64)[M]
Mods: Sacred Grove and Better Stockpiles, though I was able to reproduce this problem without them in use.

System Information:

Windows 8.2, i7, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070

The problem is the one block which connects the inner square with each of the four three-blocks.
At those 4 points there is only one wall-point which breakes the roof placement/generation.

Change that and the error will be gone.

I think the reason this stands out to me is that I’ve done this kinda column setup before and not had an issue so… I’m guessing you would say I was remembering wrong? It is possible of course - I’m open to that.

Having said that, if this is indeed the issue (as you have described it), does it not still stand as an issue to be resolved? I imagine so. It would make more sense to 1) allow for it or 2) not, but indicate this to the player in a clearer way.

It sounds like you are telling me to simply stop doing things that trigger bugs but… I don’t want to assume that :wink:

It is because the building editor is being reworked. And it will still take long until the roof tool itself is worked on.
The new roof tool will be redesigned so that this issue won’t happen in the first place. So yes, this will get fixed, but it will take a while so in the meantime we can’t do much asides from not designing buildings with that shape :pensive:

There are many things in the game that aren’t conveyed well to the player, I agree with you. But right now we’re working on fixing each of the systems to make them work together in a meaningful way, which is a slow process. Also adding some quality of life improvements.

I’m saving that buiding shape to test with the new building editor whenever we start testing it.

2 Likes

Thanks @Relyss and to be clear, I really just reported this because I knew very specifically what was happening and felt I could relay it in a way here that might be helpful. I have encountered a number of bugs and errors but unlike this one I have not ever really been aware of what happened or why - and this is totally fine for me - it’s Alpha and I know much work is yet to be done. I even knew the system was being redone entirely for building (very excited about this).

I really was just trying to be a responsible player and report something I actually had some insight on, from a “can I duplicate this” standpoint. My response to Groms was only meant for him, to address what I saw as a… potentially problematic approach to bug report responses (while additionally being aware he/she is not, from what I could tell, a member of the team here).

Anywho, thanks again, I hope it helps in some way. For all I know the new building revamp is months away (my personal guess) and you all may still address bugs related to building in the meantime :wink:

1 Like