A race-related question

This is just a quick suggestions/question. Are orcs planed to be a playable race in the future? I know goblins, the lagomorphs, the dwarves, and the three kinds of humans will be playable. (And for those whom doubt the orcs existence, Tom modeled a male and female orc in a stream a while back, which I can no longer access for some reason. Also, the female orc’s silhouette is already there!) But how about orc’s? I can already think about what their campaign would be like;

• Orcs would be more combat oriented, really, seeing as the male would have high defense/attack, but low speed, and the female would have high attack/speed, but low defense
  • The drawback to this is that the orcs would have to eat more to keep their larger, bulkier bodies functioning properly. Not to mention homes of any sort would have to be bigger, since orcs are taller than any mere hearthling. To make up for this, they would have access to more advanced food-related classes sooner, such as the hunter and big-game hunter
  • Of course, another way to get food is to send a small fighting party to a hearthling town, in order to pillage them, take the food they have (although orcs are probably a lot more inclined to eat meat!) and skewer the hearthlings so you can boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew!
  • You would probably have one, main settlement for your orcs, and a bunch of search parties you sent out to find and moider stuff.
  • Some normally gender neutral classes would actually be female-exclusive! Here’s why…
  • Shepherd: Because they just aren’t as fearsome
  • Hunter: Although the males are perfect for taking blows from mighty beast, thus they are fine big game hunters, they just don’t have the speed and agility to move silently in the woods and shank deer.
  • Any type of rouge: Same reason as the hunter. Males aren’t as fast and agile, but females are actually great for stealth and such!

That’s all I have to say for now, and I’ll see yall’ later!

1 Like

I don’t recall specific discussions around playing as the Orcs, but its a safe bet that any races that make it into the game can and will be made playable, if not by the team, then by the modding community… :wink:

2 Likes

Yay to the modding community! So what did you think of my ideas on the playstyle regarding the orcs?

(Bump) Here are some Orc-exclusive classes, with one of them being shared with only the goblins.

• Bonecarver (shared with goblins) Talisman: Rough ax- since you can’t eat bones, the orcs and goblins prefer to hire people to carve things out of them instead. (Note; bigger bone= bigger object)
  • Golem warrior (not to be confused with actually golems) Talisman: Iron gauntlet (male exclusive)- Using his massive bulk and size, the Golem warrior will take boulders out of the ground and hurl them at enemies, hence his name sake.
  • Negotiator- Talisman: Scroll of conquest- The negotiator will give enemy towns chances to surrender and succumb to being under control of the orcs before and mid-battle, rather than the orcs just decimating the town, thus the orcs can make a profit by getting taxes from these controlled towns.
  • Orcish knight- Talisman: Mighty war-hammer- This orc is even slower, but has even higher defense, thanks to his/her (Although “his” is recommended) full body armor, and also has even higher attack, thanks to his/her heavy war hammer, which slings somewhat slow.

erm… no offense, but thats not exactly “family friendly” or cutesy, so it doesnt fit in SH.

1 Like

What!? No, I was talking about their po-tat-oes po-tat-oes!

How dare you boil an innocent potato alive! :scream:

3 Likes

Humans and dwarves are a definite yes. The goblins were a “We’ll think about it, but definitely not for a while.” I don’t remember about the bunny people.

Definitely. We had a playable robot reskin quite early on, and the modding API is only getting more powerful as the game engine is. I think it would be totally possible to add a very different from normal playable race to the game later on. A lot of work? Probably. But definitely possible.

I could definitely see this. Tom has compared the Orcs to Romans before.

Easy for you to say that when you’re not between one and a wall. Though they might not look as brutish as the males, they’re pretty good fighters. Still, yeah, the male orcs look like they could very easily accidentally tear a sheep in two, whereas the females would only do that on purpose.

2 Likes

I do, indeed, realize this. But animals fear things mainly based on how much bigger and more-intimidating looking they are, and, although the females are pretty good fighters, they just aren’t as intimidating as the males.

Hasn’t he also compared them to the Huns before? And also, that comparison was probably the only reason I included that class…

1 Like